Don't want to give up but.. I'm giving up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JMN5366, Sep 4, 2012.

1. JMN5366

JMN5366 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

Feeling so hurt and depressed not having a job. Really thought my interview on Friday would get me the job but no of course not. I had a screening interview with hr in this district and they had 8 positions. I only got an interview for one of them. That was the one on Friday which went soo well even the p said so! Why didn't I get the job?! How am I supposed to get more experience if no one will give me the opportunity. Just heard from hr that there are still 4 open positions and the Ps will contact who they want to meet. Well haven't heard from any of them so I am left will nothing. I really just want to give up and change my career before it has even started. Trying so hard not to cry right now bc I am at work. Even though it's too late now, I'm just wondering if anyone would consider looking at my resume/ cover letter and tell me why I only got 2 interviews this summer

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

What experience do you have?

4. JMN5366

JMN5366 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

5 different student teaching experiences for various grades in my certification

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Sep 4, 2012

I definitely understand what you are going through. I actually did cry this afternoon and it hasn't been the first time either. A close friend of mine got her job handed to her on a silver platter..other people I went to school with pretty much got their jobs the same way too. I've worked my booty off for my degree and have sent numerous emails and resumes to the schools in my area, and I only got 5 interviews for an actual teaching position.

I am still hoping that I get called for a teaching position because I went to one of the trainings for my new part time early reading assistant..and I can already tell I don't like it. I didn't join the education profession for the money, but with as much work as I have to do for this job that is part-time with no benefits for pay that I could get working in a call center, it is very depressing.

6. JMN5366

JMN5366 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

That is how I am feeling. All of the people I just graduated that got jobs got them so easily! I send it resumes and applications and don't even get an interview!! I want my own classroom sooo badly

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

How many resumes did you send? How many applications did you complete? What's your search radius?

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Sep 4, 2012

My close friend keeps saying, "The right job will come for you..be positive!!!" I am like, "Easy for you to say since you didn't even really interview for your position." In regards to the resume, I don't have a HUGE amount of experience, but my cooperating teacher and two university supervisors did mock interview with me during my student teaching and they tweaked my resume. So I assumed that it was an A++ resume and that because they did have me make the necessary revisions, it would get me the interviews. I know there are hundreds of candidates just like me in my local school systems, but this is ridiculous.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Sep 4, 2012

Not to be rude, but you only have student teaching experience...there are a TON of people in your shoes who didn't get jobs. In fact, out of my entire elementary education masters program, I only knew of two people who got full time teaching jobs that year, and they were in less than desirable city neighborhoods (ie REALLY ROUGH places) at the same charter school.

It totally stinks, I agree, but it's hard when you're up against so many other candidates with actual classroom experience beyond student teaching. In the area that I'm from, the teacher I was working with last year was laid off after 10 years in the same district. Budget reasons. So now when I apply for jobs, I'm going up against people with years and years of legitimate experience.

It's a really rough job market out there, though I understand being discouraged. Perhaps post your cover letter and resume and have people look it over in a different thread. A lot of people are willing to help here in that area.

How many jobs did you apply to? How many resumes have you sent out?

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

JMN5366,
    Sorry to read about what you are going through right now. You have to pull yourself together, and move on to the next step! Try and see about volunteering at the schools you want to work at, and see how they operate. It would be a foot in, and the P and teachers can see how you do your thing. Remember THE little ENGINE THAT COULD!
    Ask for God's help, and never give up.:hugs:
    Rebel1

11. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 4, 2012

Have you tried subbing? Getting in as a sub and making an impression is a great way to get your name in a P's ear. Also, volunteer in schools when possible.

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 4, 2012

One of our teachers quit today, the day before students arrive. Positions are still opening up. Keep going if it's really what you want.

13. JMN5366

JMN5366 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

I applied to over 100 jobs mostly through schoolspring.com and following up by emailing principals. This district I am speaking about I never applied to but gave my resume at a job fair and then they had an increase in k students and emailed me to see if i could come in with a screening interview with hr. Everyone I met at hr said they hope to see me in a classroom in their district this year.. I also told them I would be interested in subbing so maybe that could get me a foot in the door. I even applied to para jobs but hey no interview for those either. I just got my masters and in my program there were about 25 of us. I think 20 have jobs.. soo yes it makes it more depressing. I wouldn't even mind being a para right now but I can't even get an interview for that!!! The 2 interviews I did have I was told I did great so it's just really hard to see myself not even having some type of job this year that can help me out for next year..

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 4, 2012

Not to nag you but 100 isn't all that much. I've sent out 100 over a weekend. You should be applying even to jobs that aren't posted.

15. JMN5366

JMN5366 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

well i have applied to districts that do not have jobs posted but on schoolspring which is what most schools in my state use i would say i have applied to 100-200 job postings. Maybe I just don't really know the best way to apply for jobs other than schoolspring and sending resumes through email, mail, or dropping them off.

16. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

I know of multiple amazing teachers who had to sub for years before becoming employed full-time as a classroom teacher. Actually, most teachers that I know subbed 2-3 years before finding a classroom job. They also did things like coach sports, and help with various club activities. It's a tough market, and sometimes it takes time even for great teachers.

I subbed for a while before I found my job. I volunteered in various schools, when I didn't have a sub job. This helped me make amazing contacts, and build up great references.

17. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Sep 5, 2012

Treefrogs..May I ask what else you did to help pay the bills? Did you take on another job elsewhere when you weren't at the schools?

18. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 5, 2012

This is exactly my issue. I work full time because I have a mortgage, car payments, three children and so on. I am planning to contact some principals and volunteer for after-school tutoring, but subbing is out for me. I just can't live off that kind of pay. I wish I could though. I feel like this might put me out of the running since I can't keep up with those who can devote every day to subbing.

19. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

I didn't have a family to support, so I could live pretty frugally (roommates, couponing, etc.) I taught at various camps in the summer, and various other small jobs like house and pet sitting. I know of people with families that have subbed for multiple years, that was partially why they took on coaching positions. I was lucky, in that I had a parent who's insurance covered me until age 26.

20. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 5, 2012

The other thing is you need to call and be persistent. I called every week, sometimes twice a week to check in and let them know I was still interested and make sure they received all of my stuff. If you just send it in and wait, you will get ignored almost everytime.

When I finally got in for my interview with HR, the guy said, "I know you. You are very persistent." They way I actually got that interview was trying to call the HR department on July 4th and he just happened to answer his phone because he had popped in to pick something up, only his family knew he was there and assumed it was him. I had a job two weeks later.

21. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Sep 5, 2012

Maybe the cost of living is high in my area..but I don't have a family to support but I know there is no way I could support myself on just subbing or T.A. etc. Unless I had like 10 roommates..Not to mention not getting any benefits whatsoever such as health insurances.

22. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

You know I'm right there with you :( My teacher friends and the other math student teachers I graduated with all got hired...I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have a job. I've been on about 20 interviews, which makes me believe that I have a strong cover letter and resume, but perhaps I've just been up against people with a lot more experience. I know I've been working hard to get a job, and at this point, I am physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. I know that crying doesn't solve anything, but I do cry a few times a week over it. I'm upset...teaching and education is such a huge part of my identity, and I am stuck at the same job I've been at for the past six and a half years (a dietary assistant at a nursing home). I did just get hired to teach SAT prep classes twice a week, but in my heart I don't feel like it's the same thing. I want a real teaching job.

23. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

I moved a significant distance to my current job, and I went through the certification process for four states. I knew I wouldn't be able to live off of subbing in the state I was initially certified in, so I moved to a state with strict substitute teacher requirements and better pay. I seriously lived off of 20 dollars a month for food, and I biked everywhere instead of buying a car. I also worked as a night janitor a few days a week, which paid about as much as subbing. I also can't eat bananas or rice anymore, because that's what I lived off of for a year. :D

24. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

How much do your districts pay for subs? Mine was about $100 a day. Yeah, no benefits, but I was luckily able to be on my husbands (he was a full time teacher). I know not everyone is able to do that.

Also, I got TONS of sub calls every day. I was able to sub every day of the week. That is about $2000 a month, which is no small change. I had kids at the time and was pregnant.

I live in an urban area with lot of bills. Do your school pay subs that poorly?