Don't throw that away! I can use that!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

Ok, I know we've gotta be some of the most creative people on the planet. I constantly hear pre-school teachers saying, "Don't throw that away! I can use that!"

Let's share our ideas. What are some things that were going to be thrown away but you reused? What are some things you have but need to find a use for?

Chicken bones--we had fried chicken one day for lunch, and I told my assistant I was going to collect the bones. Why? We're doing dinosaurs later in the month, and I'm going to clean and hide "dinosaur" bones in the sand table.

Bubble wrap--some many uses--for infants and toddlers, strip them down and tape it to the floor with paint poured over it-- great sensory activity. For preschoolers, dip the bubble wrap in paint and it makes great scales for fish, reptile, dinosaur art projects.

Styrofoam--I had a large piece of blue styrofoam (it doesn't chip), so I cut it into rectangular pieces thinking I would use it for extra blocks. My assistant had an even better idea--write a child's name on each block, cut it into mini blocks, and voila, they have a 3-D name puzzle.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2008

I use the large pieces of styrofoam for pounding golf tees. The kids love it.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

5. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

milk lids. I write letters on them and the kids can work on spelling their names, sight words, sounds etc.

old cd's for computer or music. create ornaments or other art projects with them

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 8, 2008

those colored plastic covers formt he chef boy r dee heat ups the kids bring--- saved a bunch of them and cut shapes out tof the middles --several of each shape and used them for matching games. Also for stencils. They can be sorted by color or shape and they can stack too. My husband redid our back roof this summer (roofing paper he calls double coverage) and the stuff came on big heavy duty cardboard rolls-- they make wonderful tubes for rolling matchbox cars or small balls down. Unused plumping/drain pipe--the white stuff comes in straingt and alls orts of bends--the kids can put them together and use them to make their own ball tracks. The plastic containers with lids that baby food comes in now-- I love those! they are so great for storage-- I am always asking the infant room for them-- I use them for water when we do watercolor paintint. I use themt o keep extra batteries in after I open the package, pushpins, etc, as well as wiggly eyes and other small craft items that tend to spill out of the packages--theya re so good for organizing!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 8, 2008

Bottle caps from the flavored waters-- they come in a lot of different colors-- I had some games in the kindergarten room that were missing the "men" that you use to go around the board with --you know-- like the sorry pieces etc, so I saved my bottle caps and the kids used them for the pieces.

8. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 8, 2008

I keep plastic lids (milk, juice, water, etc.). The kids can sort the colors, sizes, types. I also keep the lids from old markers that I throw away.... same reason, sorting.

I've used small lids for bingo markers too.

Of course there's always tp rolls.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 8, 2008

LOL...so diapered babies roll in tempra paint on the bubble wrap? This sounds absolutely hilarious.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 8, 2008

me too-and pumpkins as well!!

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 8, 2008

Sounds great though-----I assume you are bathing them when they are done? That must be a blast for them as well!!

12. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

Yes. Be sure to have the camera handy. :lol: Why not? Paint for children is non-toxic, and just put them in a large sink afterwards or you can do it outside on a warm day and hose them off. A hint, though, we've found that red paint does leave children, well, a little pinker for about a week. :whistle:

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 11, 2008

I guess not everyone has our creative minds--- I'm so upset and disappointed. My husband finally had a chance to go to the center with me to put together my new block area shelving unit. It came in two boxes which generally consisted of a top cover and a bottom cover like a puzzle box only they were 4 feet ling and about a foot wied and had about 3 inch high sides. I was so excited and purposley left one in the block area, one in the kitchen/nursery area and the other two I left on one fof the tables. I wanted to see what the kids did with them and the other two I was going to use for making a Mayflower boat-. I envisoned them using one for a ramp to race the cars down an done to pretend it was a slide for the baby dolls, and possibly one for a car to sit in or something. I know they would have had a lot of fun iwth them. this was on Saturday night around 8pm that I left them. When I wen tinto work Monday morning someone had thrown thema way and the trash truck had already come! I actually cried I was so disappointed. They think the cleaning lady must have odne it but I'm not sure--becasue there was a black spot on my rug on Sunay when we left and it's still there so I don't thnk she cleaned after we left. I guess nothing is sacred and if I have osmehting put in a specific area in my classroom I better mark it so it doens't get thrown out!

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 11, 2008

helpful hint for the red paint--- I put a small amount of dish detergent in all my paint colors when I am going to put it on the kids for projects-- it makes it come off a whole lot easier

15. imat

imat Rookie

Nov 11, 2008

Nothing goes unused in my classroom. I even have the parents bring in trash like items that can be used for creative art or for enhancing my learning centers. You name it I use it. (all most) :p Here is a link to some creative art process ideas using found materials like egg cartons, milk caps, paper rolls, scrap Styrofoam and other items.
    Creative Art http://kidsworldexploration.com/id5.html

16. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 12, 2008

That is an awesome website. I have a book called "Beautiful Stuff" that details how one classroom learned using "trash" materials that had been brought in. I tried asking my parents for their "trash", but got little participation. :(