Don't think my gift was nice enough

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by newbie87, Dec 25, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 25, 2009

My boyfriend just left. We exhanged gifts and had some dessert at my house. I told him I needed a new wallet. When I went to the Mall two days ago, I didn't like anything. Guess, what I unwrapped from him. A Gucci wallet. :eek::wub: It was so nice. I liked it and needed a wallet. However, I feel bad now. I only got him some dvds. :(

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 25, 2009

Remember, the real pleasure is in the giving. Your BF wanted to give you something nice, and your reaction was your gift to him.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 26, 2009

You could cook your honey a special meal or two, run some errands for him, or other low cost things to "make up" the difference if it bothers you. It probably doesn't bother your boyfriend though!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2009

Don't feel too bad. That was really nice of him & besides, better the guy spend more money on his lady than the other way around. You have another chance to get him something nicer for Valentine's Day if you wish!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2009

I don't understand the logic there, but...

Don't worry about it. It was a gift just as much as yours was a gift. I don't feel you need to make it up to him. A gift shouldn't turn into a burden or obligation. Enjoy. :)

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2009

Did anybody see this week's Big Bang Theory?! :lol: Sheldon decides he is going to go buy gift baskets of all sizes so that he can equal to the same gift value of Penny's gift when she gives it to him. His plan is to return the others for a refund. She gives him a napkin with an autograph on it. He is so taken back he goes back to his bedroom and gets ALL the gifts he bought and feels it isn't enough.

My husband outdid me on Christmas gift for years. I always tried but he had a knack for it. This year our kids were the focus instead as money is tight and we have too many family crisis. So this year we treated ourselves with a few day excursions instead. I made up for it on other holidays but this is the one he took pride in (along with my birthday) to make sure I had the look on my face he was waiting for. It's really very sweet and romantic and what he looks forward to. I stopped worrying about making sure I had one of equal awe factor but I do try to keep my eye out. Then I let it go. He loves it. He loves being the romantic guy in his gift giving. It gives him pride. Why take that away?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2009

I don't think it's about who spends more, or who is "supposed" to spend more, or who decides who is supposed to spend more.

Don't read too much into this.

He got you a gift as a token of affection, and you did the same. It's not about the money, it's about the thought that went into the gift. He knew you needed a wallet, and got you a nice one. You knew he liked music, and got him some CDs.

To make this about money is to cheapen both gifts, and to change Christmas into a contest.

Read O.Henry's The Gift of the Maji. Gift giving is about finding the gift that will make the other person happy. Gift receiving is about appreciating the thought and the intent behind the gift.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 26, 2009

Were the dvds something that you can watch together or a movie that is special to you? To me that means a lot more than an expensive gift. Not that you shouldn't appreciate the thoughtful wallet, because he knew it was something that you wanted. That is the special part to me, not how much it cost.

10. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 26, 2009

Thanks for the advice all. :) Maybe when we watch one of the dvds I'll order him his favorite food (I can't cook well.).

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2009

My logic is that I'm old fashioned (even though I'm pretty young). :) I still think the man should do most of the calling, the coming over, pulling out chairs, opening doors, pumping gas. Unfortunately, not many men do all that anymore (however, my guy does!) If it's between the two genders, I definitely think the man should pay more for gifts (if not the same amount that his lady spends on him).

Now, although I won't quibble over every dollar more that someone spends, if her BF wants to give her Coach wallet, that's great & she shouldn't feel bad or guilty about it. I was just saying if she does, Valentine's Day is another occasion coming up for her to get him something nice if she wishes!

12. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 27, 2009

I felt the same way too! My guy's birthday is on XMas but we had mutually decided not to spend more than 20.00. Well he ignored that, and bought me a couple of things totaling more.

I was a bit embarrassed at first but now I'm over it.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 27, 2009

I made the same mistake as your boyfriend! I got my GF so many gifts, probably about $200 worth. She got me several small things. I am not sure on the total spent and don't care, but she was quite overwhelmed with what I got her. She said, "you're a teacher. You don't have to spend so much on me." I am quite embarrassed, but it came from a loving place.

Just know he cares about you and wanted to give you something nice. Accept it and enjoy it.