Don't they KNOW? Do they no longer have a CLUE?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 21, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

I'm talking about principals.

Bear with me... I WILL make my point.

At the grocery store, I was a bagger for 6 long months before cashier training. (Let me tell you...a bagger's back HURTS!) It's tougher than you can imagine. Not doing it once, but doing it WELL for hours and hours. And you are ...the lowest of the low. Oh, you can't imagine. People tell the cashier what to tell you-when they are standing right next to you. As if.. i don't even know. And then there are the ones who yell at you to "get it RIGHT, who TAUGHT YOU???" Or the snooty ones who will join you because it's "fun". and then comment to their shopping partner that "look at ME, I'm bagging! If I ever loss everything *hahahah* At least I could BAG!" And you have to tell them.."Yes, that HAS happened to some of us." To which they never apologize for their thoughtlessness...but smirkingly look the other way. But even worse... is the way some of the cashiers treat baggers. They are mean, and they act as if they have the RIGHT (merely by their position on the converyor) to talk to you rudely and tell you this and that.

I trained with a young man (18 years old), by the name of Matt. Matt is not retarded..but he is slower. But DANG-he's a hard worker! (makes the rest of us look like we are only wannabes.) Anyway.. if the cashiers treated me poorly-they treated Matt like garbage. And I remember one particularly bad day he said..."did you see that? Why do they treat us like that?" I said I would discuss it with Don Corleone. I did, but nothing really was done.

I said to Matt, "When I become a cashier-I will NOT treat baggers like that. And if I ever DO... YOU come up and remind me about this promise!"

Now, as a cashier, I can tell you... some baggers are SO good...but some, sheeesh are so dense! I have to hold back the eggs and berries, and whipped cream cakes from some because (as if a moth to a flame) they will automatically put them at the bottom of a full cart.

One day - after an extraordinarily tough day at home...and when I was bagging my second large order and the baggers were working too slow on other lines... I finally said, "THIS shouldn't happen! You think ONE of you could get it in gear and help on this lane???"

Later that day Matt came up to me...he said, "McKenna, do you remember your promise? I do. You didn't break it - But you sure came close. I'm just saying."

What is WITH principals?

Do they NOT remember being a teacher and waiting for a call? (Or were they one of those who went on one interview before student teaching was over and got placed on the first try out of the box?) Do they NOT remember how you sit and stare at the phone for hours ...and how your mind plays this ping pong game between "what will I do with these precious children that will be in my care?" to "I'll bet I blew that interview -- How could I be so stupid?"

Do they not remember the ache in your chest as minutes turn into hours, which turn into days - without a call? And how HARD would it be to make a 45 second call to those people who practiced, and studied, and came in to hopefully work for you?

They narrow it down to 6, then to 3...could they not CALL the ones they tossed aside? Or if they don't have the guts for the job...give it to their grunt of an asst. principal...or do the REALLY distanced thing of writing an e-mail. Don't they remember how it FEELS to be that perosn on the OTHER end? Have principals NOT been the one waiting...and haven't they said, "when it's MY turn...I won't DO this to others. (And isn't that what THEY will tell children to inspire empathy? Do unto others?)"

It's just so cruel to allow other persons to dangle.... you've made up your mind. These people cleared their calendars to talk to YOU and prayed and wished for the job just like YOU once did...can't you do one last thing for them and end the ache by calling them?

When any of YOU become principals (and I have no doubt that some of you WILL)... remember your promise.

3. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I hear your pain. You would they would have the common courtesy to let you know in a timely manner. I personally prefer a letter in the mail in a way but SOMETHING so that you know for sure. I got called last Saturday at 7:30 in the morning went in for the interview that day at 1100 a.m. and was told he would be making a decision that day because meet the teacher was on Monday. When did he finally call and let me know----Monday around 4 in the afternoon. Duuuuuuhhhhhh!!!! I kind of already figured out that he went with someone else-----why bother calling me with a rejection by that time. Maybe you will get a call this weekend and find out instead of them waiting for Mon. I hope that is what happens for you. I think you should try creative writing----I think you write really entertaining posts.

I am still with you on waiting and if something doesn't work out next week I am subbing

4. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Oh McKenna, this post made me cry.
    I bagged and clerked at Trader Joe's for just two months after I earned my master's degree when I could not find a job in education. Yes, it is physically and emotionally exhausting, and yes, it is humiliating.
    I had people come in who recognized me from the PTA and who would not talk to me or even make eye contact. You'd think I was caught drug dealing or prostituting myself.
    I think you should be **** proud of yourself for working so hard, to do what ever it takes to keep your family afloat.
    I have a son like Matt and your story of how some cashiers treated him made me shudder. How dare they?
    Your point is that some people become isolated from the humanity of it all; be it a grocery store cashier or a school principal, they need to retain their sense of empathy and respect for other people.

I think good news awaits you soon. It's always darkest before the dawn.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 21, 2009

I know the point of the story was about Principals and your frustration about not getting called but the most beautiful part of that story was Matt's reminder.

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Aug 21, 2009

This is kind off topic but its in the same category

***FIRST YEAR TEACHERS
    Don't the principals remember how it was when they first started teaching?

This past year was my first year teaching, fresh out of college, and young. I have to say it will probly be one of the worst years I will ever experience. It all started with the group of kids they gave me but I won't go into that it may be on a post on here somewhere. Anyway I always felt that and I was compared to all the other experienced teachers. I was always expected to just automatically know and be doing what these seasoned teachers already knew. Isn't the first year all about learning, experience, trial and error?
    I knew that I would have more. Walkthroughs/evaluations since I was a first year and new to the school. But everytime I would be criticized for something I was NOT doing. I can't recall ever hearing anything positive or what I was doing right. There were just so many negative experiences that went on this year. I never felt supported. They would do or say just enough to make it seem as if they were helping. If I had any doubt that I wouldn't be a good teacher this school would have made me change my profession.

I would sit there and think..I know these principals had to be teacheres once. I know they made mistakes and didn't have a perfect firat year. Why are you expecting me too?

Luckily I am no longer at that school but unfortunately I don't have a teaching job this year either

7. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Yes! Matt! The great messenger.

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I went through the same thing through my two LTS jobs at one middle school Yes, I agree and I think the theme of this thread if for people in positions to remember what it was like when they were in our position.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

Where in Texas are you? That is a shame that your first year you had to go through so much. The walk through is designed to help you as a teacher so that you can better your craft. It can be daunting if you never get some positive feedback. Sometimes I think in the efforts that districts make to get teachers to be professional, well versed, and to use the best practices, that they sometimes forget the human nature of people. People cannot live by criticism alone. People, just like kids, need to be told they are doing something right. It is the sign of a great administrator that can nurture a new teacher as well as offer concrete suggestions that will help that same teacher to improve her teaching abilities. The principal that knows how to do that is truly a gem to work for.

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

I'm with you McKenna, that P that I called yesterday (BTW emailed her previously) and asked for the secretary to take a message never called back. She had us narrowed down to 3. I'm just plain mad about this one. I keep thinking to myself well maybe she hasn't made up her mind or maybe she's calling references but I doubt it. She's being rude. She has my email so if she wants to go the chicken way, she could have just emailed.

I wrote something along the lines of remember how you feel right now waiting on that phone call that you never get to tell you one way or the other before. It is something I am now telling my children. I don't know that either of them will go into education but they may be someone who does hire one day and I want them to know how I feel. It is hard.

Thanks for this post and for voicing what we are all feeling.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

I hope you hear something today. That DOES sound rude. But maybe she was in the middle of some scheduling crisis, or they were unloading all the textbooks, or the associate superintendent stopped by to work on HER goals. Anyway, I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a better scenerio than she is just mean and rude! I hope that I am right!:hugs:

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

I tell you something that has bothered me... Hearing that there are good teachers out there subbing, and long term subbing and proving themselves everyday. They are well requested. They know the school and teachers like them. And then, a teaching position comes up and they are passed over for a teacher that has done nothing other than WOW the P for 30 minutes in an interview and has proven nothing in person. It does not happen often thankfully. But it does happen and it DOES bother me. That is just WRONG!:mad:

13. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

You can learn a lot about people by bagging groceries. I did it for a few summers when I was in high school. (They called us "courtesy clerks". I guess "sackers" or "baggers" isn't PC anymore?)

It reminds me of "Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". My version is "Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned While Sacking Groceries When I Was Sixteen".

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 22, 2009

That is why I was so happy for the person who will get the 4th grade position...The P was honest with me and told me she was leaning toward her. I was aggravated by the fact that I drove half an hour away for an interview (after emailing this P several times for several different positions over the past few months). Don't get me wrong I'm sad for myself but as I've said to my husband that I hope these jobs that I am not getting, go to really deserving people and not just people who know how to interview well but really don't know how to teach.

15. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

I might be in the minority, but I never let it bother me when a principal did not call me back after an interview. I realize that they have an incredibly hard job do to in running the school, and they simply do not have time to personally call every candidate. I figured at the end of all of my interviews, if they want me bad enough, they will call me, whether I follow-up with them (after the thank you note, of course) of not.

Now, what does irk me is when the principal specifically tells you they will call you and they do not.

The other thing that I irks me is at the end the interview, they give you the canned line, "we are interviewing several candidates and will let you know." Why not just be honest with us and say "I appreciate your time, but I just don't think you are the right fit for this position. Good luck with your job search." I would rather get a no up front than hold out for nothing. The other thing that irritates me is when you are not selected and they say "We will keep your resume on file for future opportunities." Again, if you have no intention of keeping my resume, don't tell me that you do.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2009

McK- Is this frustration following your 3-interview day? I'm sending you good vibes...;)
    Enjoy the weekend and think positively about a great phone call on Monday.:)

17. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I understand that principals are busy but really, a one minute phone call to say they went with someone else would not take long; even if they had to call 10 people they interviewed - 10 minutes. Or send emails.

I had an interview in July that I thought I had a really good chance at getting. Have not heard one word from the P or the district despite calling and emailing several times.

On the other hand; I applied for a job last spring and got a rejection letter. However, it was a nice rejection (if there is such a thing lol). The P wrote out a few things that he usually looks for in cover letters and how I could improve mine.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

VERY nice and very helpful!:)

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

You guys sound beat down. Come on... THROW AWAY those "I'm a Loser Vibes" and throw on those..."I'm a WINNER Vibes!" You WILL have another interview! You WILL ROCK in that interview. They WILL call you and you WILL one day post.... "I cannot believe I finally have my own classroom!" It will happen! It will happen when you least expect it.

Faith is something that you cannot see. But MY FRIENDS, I am here to tell you that FAITH will see you through the hardest of days and the longest of nights. It will see you through.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven ..." -Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

There is a season for YOU out there. Be ready for it when it happens. Do not be blinded feeling like you are not worthy or that someone else was better or that your best friend in education got 3 job offers and you barely got an interview or that your Cousin Sue keeps asking you why you have not found a job yet....

YOUR season is just around the corner. Have a little MORE faith.

Religious disclaimer or maybe that should be proclaimer?: I am sorry if my beliefs offended anyone. I just feel pretty strongly that as teachers we have a purpose. Your purpose - to me - is clear. You are MEANT to teach. I don't know when. I don't know where. I just have faith that your season will come.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

Jlyn-I bet that was the same rejection letter that I got. I was so impressed with how nice and thought out the letter was!

21. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

McKenna, that was so well written. I enjoyed just reading it and I do agree with your points.

Tampa, I like when I give someone a resume at a job fair and they make a mark on it and say they will keep it for later reference. I always wonder if the notes they make on it really say, "Round file, ASAP," or "This is a nut, do not consider," etc.