Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joseph Williams, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams Rookie

Apr 30, 2022

I have been at my high school for 9 years. Many are quitting schoolwide. Our principal is a nice person but we aren't in one of the highest paid districts, and my co-teachers complain about district policies like time off, length of school day too. My entire math department (except me the dept chair) is quitting, we have had great relationships this year. However, because the other three teachers I work with stated their reasons for leaving. 1 said they are moving and have wanted to a long time. 2. Other says they need to stay at home with kids. We have had great relationships this year, no fights, collaboration, etc. There have been no grievances towards me. My principal gave me a great evaluation and said I'm doing good. However, maybe is this just a hint for me to leave? I feel like next year trying to stay on top of everything I do and mentor new teachers.... AT the same time I absolutely love my job. Maybe I'm just tired myself and I need to just let this go. My family is also wanting me to move closer to them too! So this is a hard choice for me.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2022

These are the times I suggest you make two lists, one for staying and one for moving closer to home. You may find just by looking at them that one is overwhelmingly longer than the other. If not, really look at your WHYs.

Joseph Williams likes this.
  4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

May 3, 2022

This was how I made the decision to leave my last school. I made a weighted pros/cons list for staying and one for leaving. The pros of leaving outweighed every other list combined.
    Writing down the reasons/pros/cons for each decision can help clarify the choice.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 3, 2022

You can put some feelers out and see if there are any opportunities in the area where your family is. Something might pop up. It doesn't hurt to look. If there is nothing available with the same positive attributes as your current school then you might as well stay.

6. Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams Rookie

May 3, 2022

Thank you that is a good idea:) That's what others are telling me too!

7. Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams Rookie

May 3, 2022

This is a great point as well!!! I'm going to do this too to see if something pops up. It never hurts and I will get my resume ready.

8. Joseph Williams

Joseph Williams Rookie

May 3, 2022

Great point too. I need to make that list. I am going to find some quiet time and do that. Thank you!!