Dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by green78, Aug 28, 2010.

1. green78

green78 Companion

Aug 28, 2010

I really do not know what to do. Friday at work two people were let go and they are saying the school may close. I have been searching for teaching position, but there are really no positions out there. Do you know anything else I can do with a degree in education? If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have my degree in special ed and early childhood.

3. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I'm fairly new at this myself but have you tried looking at other alternatives: teachers aide, paraprofessionals, etc? Subbing is always an option. There are also plenty of preschool teacher positions in my area but I'm wary of stepping out of the traditional route... it might work for you, though, if you're interested.

I've also tried applying at non-teaching/education related posts with not much luck. My only real advice is to keep looking and be flexible. Goodluck!

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Check out this thread:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=117446

With the special ed degree you do have a lot of options :)

Also, I don't know how flexible you are (ie. having a family), but moving might also be an option. Northern Virginia tends to be a really good location for teaching jobs. We have two really large counties (Fairfax and Prince William), as well as some smaller ones, that always seem to have job openings. Prince William currently has 70 open teaching positions (https://jobs.pwcs.edu/Jobs/) and Fairfax has quite a few too (https://hrnet.fcps.edu/vl/Vacancy). I know we get a lot of girls from NJ and Pennsylvania because the job market up there is so tough. One of my teammates just moved here last year from Jersey :)

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2010

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

There are jobs out there, especially if you're willing to relocate! Don't give up yet!

Our school has about 5 active open positions as of right now. Additionally, our district just announced that they will be hiring "several hundred" teachers starting immediately. (We just received a few hundred million dollars to be spend on staffing.)

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

We have close to 50 open positions in my district...