Don't know if I can make it

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FarFromHome, Sep 18, 2015.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2015

I'm at a new school this year and it's extremely tough. I thought I had the hardest semester possible a few years ago in another state, but I think this school is more difficult. I don't want to post details because I don't want to be identified-sorry for being vague! I don't feel like I'm teaching anymore. I'm managing behavior, and I feel like I'm failing at it. Quitting isn't an option, so I have to make it through the year and then hope I can transfer schools. Does anyone have tips on making it through a rough school year?

3. MsMika

MsMika Rookie

Sep 19, 2015

Ignore people's judgmental comments (unless it is constructive criticism, in which case, make the best use out of it )

Make your no1 intention and target is the sole benefit of the students you're working with.

Love your students, connect with them, talk and hang out with them, get to know them on a friendly basis .

After school hours, disconnect yourself from your school life, do other different activities that would make your day happier and worth repeating ... if you don't have a hobby, try several and find one, if you do have one ,try to find another so that when you're not in the mood for one you can shift to another, anything that would get you involved and forget you previous long day work ..

Hope these help :) nd I really wish you have a GREAT year ;)

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2015

Thanks!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 19, 2015

Very good advice given by MsMika. I can only add, accept the times that you aren't successful and learn from them. We all have to do it. Everyone says walking can help clear your mind. And a little sunshine each day can't hurt. You aren't failing; you are growing.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2015

I think you are doing the right thing in focusing on behavior right now. Without getting behavior management under control, you are right, it will be a long year.

With a class as tough as yours, a really strong plan that has succeeded with lots of teachers might be a good place to start. The book Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones is a great book that can help with all areas of classroom management. Also it includes behavior, instruction, and motivation. My most successful lesson this past week, still had a large component from the motivation section of this book. It is fairly easy to follow.

Second, what do you have that is working for you? You probably have some procedures or things you use in the classroom that really work. Make sure you try to expand these to more areas in the classroom.

Third--procedures, procedures. I would practice, practice, practice. Try to do it in a fun way.

Fourth--Find ways to make this year fun for you and your students. Both you and your students will need a lot of energy to make it through this tough year. Make sure you have some lessons that you and they can look forward to even if they don't go so perfectly.

Good luck to you.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2015

Last year, I had to separate myself completely. My school was full of people too close to retirement to switch districts and they all hated working there. I just kept my head down and did what was required of me. It was hard. I am still suffering from the after-effects of last year, but lately I feel more like myself every once-in-a-while.

I'm sorry you are going through this. :hugs:

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2015

I'm in a specials area this year, so that's part of the problem. I haven't seen them enough to build relationships. Many of them seem to only listen to teachers who have been at the school for a while. They will completely ignore what I ask them to do, and I've had to call to have someone remove students a lot. Some of the teachers are really supportive (and those classes are improving) and others just don't want to hear anything that happened.

I have plenty of fun activities planned in my class, but they won't stay quiet long enough to listen to the instructions. And then if we do a game or fun activity, they won't settle down enough to do anything else.

I'm used to having the best behaved classes in the regular classroom, and this is just wearing on me. It's not just little things, there are major defiance and disrespect problems in my school.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2015

I also have a few kids that come in and are determined to ruin class. They do everything they can to get attention, try to rattle me, get removed, etc. I'm very calm at school and never yell, so maybe they're trying to get to me. But I get home and I'm just falling apart.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 19, 2015

Meet with them one-on-one and talk it out. Just have a real honest conversation with each of them on level ground - person to person. You might want to share how you're feeling (don't go too far) but explain what your concerns are and see what their concerns are about the class. You'd be surprised how well these one-on-one meetings can be for you and the student :)

I'm thinking about needing one in another week or two with one of my 3rd graders that is known for causing trouble, over stepping the personal space of others, and thinks is is "cool" to be punished.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 19, 2015

Take it day by day. On those extra tough days, take it hour by hour. Hugs. I hope it gets better soon.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion! That's one of the tough things in my class-it's hard to talk one-on-one when there's a problem. It ends up being in front of everyone because the rest of the class isn't able to work independently most of the time. I will try and talk to them individually next week.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2015

Thanks, I appreciate the support!