Don't Invite People Over When You're Sick! :/

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2013

I think it's really inconsiderate and unwise for people to invite people over when someone in the household is sick or just gotten over being sick! I don't want your germs! :mad::mad:

I just got back from being over this lady's house tonight who wanted her higher-up to give a presentation about a work at home business. Now I'm still not over my cough from being sick since 2/21. She was saying how her husband has pneumonia & he went to the dr today. Grrrrrr! I got outta there after 1 hr:15 min, which was as soon as I could.

From now on, I should ask someone if they're sick before I come over, especially w/ sicknesses being more severe & longer-lasting these days.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2013

I would not have had people over if my husband was sick. She should have definitely rescheduled for a time when her household was a bit more healthy. Some people just don't think!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 19, 2013

You are probably joking, but I don't think this will ensure you more invitations out.

Yes, people shouldn't invite others over when they are sick, but everyone's definition of 'sick' is different. When I say I am healthy others are telling me I'm sick. We all cope differently.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 19, 2013

If her husband is on antibiotics or other treatment, then it likely isn't contagious anymore. Pneumonia just means that there's an infection of some sort in the lungs. It's just where the infection is. One of my friends had pneumonia for several weeks and never even knew.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2013

I literally felt this funny tightness/pressured feeling in my chest at the end of being over there. This morning, I'm still coughing.

Before this, I was invited to a purse & jewelry party for a couple Sats from now. I don't really care to go through this kind of trouble to get a purse & jewelry when I can just go to my own store & buy them, so I'm leaning towards NO.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2013

In the future, don't stay in a sick person's house for an hour and a half.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 19, 2013

Sorry to say, Ms. I, but that funny tightness you were feeling shortly after find out the husband had pneumonia was more than likely a psychosomatic response.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2013

I worked in retail for many years....believe me....sick people shop in malls. Take your vitamin C. ....sick children also come to school...you cant live in a bubble

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2013

Another thing to think about is that this goes both ways. The gentleman with pneumonia might also have been at increased risk from whatever it is that Ms. I still has.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 19, 2013

I was thinking this also. My husband would not be too happy if I invited people over when he was sick in any case. If it were me I would have had to reschedule.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2013

I was out all day today where I was outdoors most of the time, so I think the fresh air helped some.

So true. It goes both ways. His wife (the lady who invited me) wasn't thinking. She said she actually invited 12 people to this thing & I'm the only one who showed up...whoop de doo. :mellow:

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2013

Yeah, I still should have gotten out of there, even though I'm the only one who showed up when she invited 12 people total & the presenter & his wife had driven an hour to get to this thing. Health is more important than listening to some presentation.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 20, 2013

I was supposed to do a jewelry making class with a friend a few weekends ago but was feeling a little rundown and tired. I also had sneezing and a little congestion. I opted not to go and called to reschedule b/c I didn't want to ruin everyone's evening or make people uncomfortable. The instructor was appreciative and said most people just come, spread their cooties and leave. I guess common courtesy is a dying art.

Edit: turned out I had the flu. I think sometimes people just don't care or they think b/c their symptoms aren't that bad or are almost gone they aren't contagious.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2013

Had all done the right thing and called to cancel, the hostess could have saved the presenters their trip, your possible exposure to sickness and everyone else's exposure to the cold you've been combatting. :(

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2013

I sure didn't feel like going, not because I was sick, but I just rarely, rarely, go back out in the evenings once I'm at home where I'm confy & settled in. That's just how I've always been.