Don't have principal's recommendation

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

So my principal is not renewing me. She says I've improved but not enough. I was put in a bad situation to say the least.

Anyway I have an interview tomorrow. What do I say if they ask me about my current situations(technically the corporation hasn't given me a non renewal letter yet so I haven't been able to fight it)? Also what do I say if they ask about a recommendation from my principal? They ask for online references before the interview and to put supervisors and stuff, I put my summer teaching job(private) supervisor and last years principal. Is that ok?

Thanks I'm just nervous

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 21, 2011

First let me say how sorry I am. I know what is like to be non-renewed as it happened to me last year. I have no idea why I was non-renewed but when asked I just say I wasn't a good fit or wasn't given a reason. Both my P and AP gave me letters of rec. They are ok letters and I use them...well one of them...the one has that she thinks I should be a primary grades teacher and while I would take a primary grade...I know I'm an intermediate teacher and have felt it since I got into education. BTW, I was non-renewed after my first year and I did not start the year with my students (it is a long story). How do you know you won't get a reference or a letter of rec from your P?

You will most likely have to give your current P as your reference at some point or another. I cringe everytime I have to do that even though I know she can't say anything bad about me.

Chin up and good luck! :)

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

Sorry about your situation. I think you are just fine listing the people you do as references. I would just mention that you would prefer waiting to contact your current supervisor/principal until the final phase of the hiring process.

I second talking about looking for the right fit when stressing looking for a job. If you haven't signed the paperwork that you are nonrenewed, then nothing is set just yet...even if it is coming down the pipeline.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 21, 2011

I think you can put whoever you want for references. Most applications I've seen there are references separate from your 3 most recent employers. For the latter, I wouldn't skip. I think what's important is to have well-prepared answered for why things didn't work. So, try to get specifics for what "improvement" your admin wanted to see, if possible, so that you can speak to those if they come up. Saying something vague like, "It wasn't a good match" leaves questions in peoples' minds, which they may fill in with, "Oh, I bet there were issues." If you can bring up those issues, and neutralize them with your phrasing, you redefine the situation, rather than either 1) expecting the other person to fill in the blanks, or 2) having the person call your current principal and letting the P say just his/her opinion of the situation.

I think being open about areas of weakness, and what you are doing to address it, can be helpful with administrators who are good administrators - who want people to be honest, focused on self-improvement, etc.

Also, I generally interview with an assumption that each person will have strengths and weaknesses - if you tell me yours, you also have the opportunity to spin them the way you want. If you don't, I have to figure them out, and I'll come up with my own interpretation.

Ah, the psychology of interviewing! :)

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2011

Most people don't give horrible recommendations. The principal will give you a generic OK letter.

When you do spin it, make sure you don't go into any blame mode or denigrate the previous school. It's all about being positive and what I can do for your school.

7. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

I'm hoping for now it doesn't come up. Seeing is I'm interviewing for this job b/c it's a gifted and talented program which I'm very interested in. My current school corporation has a school for these students but it's hard to get in to because I have low senority.