Don't have assignment yet at new school...

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by teachablemoment, Jul 27, 2018.

1. teachablemoment

teachablemoment Rookie

Jul 27, 2018

Hello!
    I am a fairly new teacher transferring to an independent school from public schools. I got the job in March and signed a contract saying I had a full-time teaching position but the grade would depend on enrollment. Originally they told me I would know by late May/early June. It is now almost August and they still have not told me. A few teachers have told them that they were leaving just in the past week, so new positions have opened up, but things are still up in the air. As someone transferring from middle school to elementary and teaching elementary (and in an independent school) for the first time, I'm nervous and anxious to start planning so I feel confident when school starts. Any advice from veteran teachers who have maybe been in this position? Should I just start planning for both options? Right now they said it's between 2nd and 5th, so I'm not sure how to start planning for both because they're SO different, but I'm getting nervous. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2018

Have you reached out recently to ask if there is any indication as to your assignment? I would state the obvious - you are anxious, especially if it means you will be changing from middle to elementary. Obviously, to do the best job possible, having time to prepare is always desirable..

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2018

I would start planning for your classroom procedures. Some things will be the same (maybe with some minor tweaks) regardless of whether its second or fifth.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 28, 2018

I would suggest planning for the first 2 days of school. Ice-breakers, getting to know the students, vice versa, teaching rules and procedures. Maybe have a diagnostic test ready (for both grades) so you know where the students stand, this is important either way. I like to do this on the 2nd day of school.
    At the very latest you will know by the first day of school what you will be teaching.