"Don't grade everything!"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherwithlove, Nov 1, 2014.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Nov 1, 2014

I am in my 4th year of teaching and veteran teachers are STILL telling me that I grade too much. I know of some teachers who only factor tests grades into report cards. It seems like everyone grades differently in my district, since there is nothing mandated by our district as far as grades go- except, we can't give lower than a C- if we didn't talk to the parents about a failing grade before hand...:|

So I'm curious. What do you grade on a weekly basis? How do you NOT grade everything? And does your district give you guidelines? :help:

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2014

I grade the main weekly/bi-weekly assessments, as well as the quick-checks that we do in math (usually 3-4 a week, but pretty short and quick, as the name hints at). Those are ones I record specific scores down.

I also check for completion (but provide no score of any sort) of all homework turned in (usually a math and a writing/spelling/grammar piece each day, and then IXL/Reading Log/Reflection Form once a week), as well as providing feedback on each...many of my students will take that feedback and use it to improve. One student's writing has already improved a ton just from my comments on their homework, and with very little other input than that! Not all students will take a lot from the feedback, but I want them to have an equitable opportunity (and the parents and students are supposed to look through the week's work together each week and then sign the reflection form, so this feedback can provide a talking point for them on certain assignments, as well).

It might be too much, but everything that I do right now I feel has some importance, so I'm sticking with it for now.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 1, 2014

When I taught gen ed, I only graded assessments and "final drafts" of writing assignments. I wanted my grades to reflect mastery of concepts and not compliance. IMO, if you give grades for homework or work done together in class, you're grading compliance. My two lowest students in the class had tons of parent support at home and came in with perfect, beautifully done homework each week. Obviously their parent had helped them and made sure that there were no mistakes. Many other students didn't have parents that spoke English or were willing to help with homework, and theirs had some mistakes. I don't think it's fair to assign points to something that basically depends on how much parent support kids have- giving those two lowest students tons of points for their perfect homework would have inflated their grades and shown an inaccurate picture of their ability to master the content. We had no guidelines on grading from the district. Now that I'm in sped, I progress monitor/take data for goals each week rather than doing traditional grading.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 1, 2014

I aim for two grades a week per subject. I don't like to grade the first attempt on a standard if at all possible. That doesn't mean I'm not looking over their work--I check everything for understanding whether it's from me walking around the room or collecting a looking through each assignment. I know where everybody is, and looking over their work helps me determine what to teach next.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 2, 2014

Lord, I hope that's a policy that only applies to elementary school....

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2014

We need to speak with parents about any grade lower than a C before report cards go home.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 2, 2014

Oh... I thought OP meant on every single assignment! Although, even report cards would be annoying. I call for Es- that's more than enough calls already.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2014

Calling for every assignment would be a huge amount of time! I do send home everything that I grade for a parent signature, though, so there shouldn't, in theory, be any surprises.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2014

The only grades we give at my grade-level are tests and we are moving away from grades altogether. Soon we will have just a standards-based report card and that works for me. I don´t think grades tell you a whole lot, anyway. So, having said that, I give about 5-7 math grades (tests, quizzes) a bimester (we have 5 bimesters in a year) and about the same for writing (which consists of spelling tests and actual writing grades).

11. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Nov 3, 2014

I always grade homework and at least one classwork assignment. If I give a test in a subject, I won't usually grade a classwork assignment in the content area.

I commend you for finding the time to grade multiple assignments. I would like to grade more, but I have other obligations outside of work, so I have to cut myself off or else I will find myself working 6 - 7 hours after school and still not being done

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

I'd rather have too many grades than not enough. I think the more you grade, the more fair the grades are. We were required to do 2 language arts grade per week. Some of my colleagues would grade the weekly test which was in large part spelling, give it back to the kids to correct and that was their second grade for the week. We were doing so much more in that subject that could be counted in grades than just the test.

I've always said I wish there were more standards across the district or even across the grade level in making it so teachers were counting the same things.