Don't give up!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lnm130, Aug 31, 2010.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Aug 31, 2010

There are still jobs to be had! I have recieved two calls for interviews this week! Keep on keepin on, folks!

3. aer011

aer011 Rookie

Aug 31, 2010

I'm a lurker who may have never even posted (I guess I'll know after I post this) but I've been searching all summer and it's always nice to hear that people are still getting jobs! Thanks and good luck!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

It's definitely not too late to get a job for this school year! There are jobs, thousands of them, in lots of places. If you're willing to move, you have a great shot at a great job. The district in Las Vegas (Clark County School District) recently announced that it is hiring several hundred more teachers ASAP.

5. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Always nice to hear good news ;)

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 1, 2010

We are waiting on one more K5 student at my school.... Hurry up Lil' Guy... one of these teachers needs a job!

7. LovelyTee

LovelyTee Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

I completely agree. I got a call on Wednesday to come in for an interview this afternoon, and school starts in less than 5 days!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2010

A friend of mine got hired yesterday for a teaching job that starts Tuesday!! Yay! But :eek:!

9. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Sep 5, 2010

I agree. Schools here started 2 weeks ago and the job openings this past week were listed at 0. However, attendance counts are levelling off and the schools are realizing where they need teachers to deal with the load.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 5, 2010

Yup, this is the time when many districts get their "final" numbers and will see if they need to add another teacher to a certain grade. Best of luck to all of you still searching.

11. CubbieFan

CubbieFan Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

So very true. I've had more interviews and call backs in the last 5 days than the WHOLE summer! And I was offered 2 positions! I definitely recommend walking your resume in too...

12. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

Congrats CubbieFan!
    Yes, the jobs are still out there. A friend of mine will start teaching first grade on Tuesday.

13. angeltosoldiers

angeltosoldiers Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

That's great that you had calls for interviews, but I, unfortunately, have given up. After 2 years of no calls (I've never had an interview) I've just thrown in the towel. I have a Masters in Elementary Education but that hasn't helped in getting at least an interview. :(

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2010

We are almost positive that we will be hiring another teacher after the third week of school--this is when our "final" numbers are analyzed.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 6, 2010

Have you tried substitute teaching? When I decided it was time to pursue a teaching career, my first step was becoming a certified substitute. That gave me the chance to (a) earn some income while (b) gaining real life experience in the classroom to see if that really was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It also helped me start building a network of contacts in the local school district.

I continued working as a sub while taking my licensure courses (most of which I did online). The principals and other teachers learned I was a person they could count on to show up when they needed someone right away. I subbed at all levels (elementary, middle and high school) in classes ranging from HS shop to Art (both of which were FAR out of me comfort zone).

Fortunately (for me), most of my experience was in middle school classes. When the time came for me to begin my student teaching, I was able to show my university I already had enough middle school hours of experience to skip the Student Teaching I (part-time) course and go straight to Student Teaching II (full time). That saved me one full semester of class time.

Last, but certainly not least, the work I did as a substitute teacher led directly to a call offering me a part-time position as a middle school math teacher less than a week before the official school year began.

I understand how discouraging it can be. I don't even know how many resume's and application packets I sent out this summer. Until I got the call from my current school, I had received ONE call back about an interview and I had to call the principal back 4 times over the course of 2 months before I finally got the interview scheduled. I had resigned myself to working as a substitute again THIS year as well until that call came in just 3 weeks ago.

If you truly love teaching and feel it is what you were meant to do, PLEASE don't give up. The right opportunity will come along, very often when you least expect it to happen.

16. angeltosoldiers

angeltosoldiers Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I have been subbing for 6 years. I started subbing before I started working on my teaching degree. I am actually quite popular with a few schools and teachers because I know the routines, I followed the lesson plans, and I am very good at teaching the students (quoted from the teachers who have asked me to be their sub) Plus I even offered to help out in other areas when they needed assistance. Unfortunately, the school board decides who they want and it's not me.

It breaks my heart to give up on my dream but I need a job to pay bills. I can't keep praying that something will come along when after two years nothing, not even an interview, has come my way.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2010

Are you willing to relocate?

18. angeltosoldiers

angeltosoldiers Rookie

Sep 6, 2010

Oh yeah! I'm on Teachers-Teachers.com website but nothing has come out of that. I went ahead and got my license for TN and NC because of the jobs I was applying for in those states via Teachers-Teachers.com.

19. diana

diana Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

Angeltosoldiers, I feel for you and hope a teaching job comes your way soon. :hugs:

20. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Sep 9, 2010

Have you had someone critique your cover letter?

21. angeltosoldiers

angeltosoldiers Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Yes. A while back I'd posted my resume and cover letter and made adjustments to both. I think my resume and cover letter are much better now but still nothing.