Don't get stuck on stupid...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Sep 30, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

Bf texted me this today...have no clue what he meant by it...and he won't tell me...

"You do what you can do and you do what you have to do...because you didn't do what you were supposed to do. Don't get stuck on stupid. "
    -steve harvey

any insight???

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2008

Umm.... I had less trouble understanding the second sentence until I read the first one. That's the one that was a doozy.

You may seem like you are taking care of things but as long as you remain uneducated or don't take care of things soon enough, your life is gonna be hard and troublesome.

For example, my sister told me when she was a teenager that she planned on having a kid with her boyfriend so she won't lose him. (I tried to talk her out of it). She may have had the child, taken care of the child (questionable) and went on with her life but in the end she repeated the exact same mistake again (doing it for the exact same wrong reasons). Just because she took care of the "situation" after the fact, she got stuck on stupid because she kept repeating the same situation.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Do what you were supposed to do First.
    OR
    When you're up to your arse in Alligators, it's difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
    (Ut vos es usque vestri ass in Alligators , is est difficilis ut memor ut vestri coepi contradictio eram ut adficio palus.)

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

I have no clue what he is trying to tell me...and I know if I ask him about it he'll get mad...cause I "didn't get it.."

He's on his way to a funeral...so it's quite odd that he text me that as he was driving this morning...with his mom.

He never even let me meet his grandmother (the one that died) when she was here.

And of course he texts me this as I am reading "The Five Love languages" to learn how to better communicate his 'love language...'

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

I'm more concerned with you worrying that he'll "get mad" because you don't get it and that you say he never "even let you" meet his grandmother when she was there.
    Don't worry too much what he meant. Wait until he gets back, then ask him. Take care.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Wrong book get "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands"

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2008

It could just be something random he read that he got the meaning of and wondered if you did too.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Why are you trying to understand men? ......
    We know three things
    Beer, sports & Women
    And Women we only talk about we don't understand ​

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

he doesn't drink much...
    he tells me I'm not nice enough to him...which I don't get b/c I'm always doing things for him...bringing him dinner...getting him a one way car rental back from the funeral (his mom is using the other rental b/c she is now in custody of her disabled brother). He has told me that by doing things doesn't mean that you love someone...so obviously 'acts of service' isn't his love language...still trying to figure him out
    I actually like this book...b/c I understand me better...and what I need

My problem is that when I have too much time I start to think about stupid things...getting stuck on stupid ;)

I try not to...it's why I like to stay busy...or have my mind occupied by something else...like House...lol

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

What does he do to be nice to you? get your clue from that

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

-smirk- he's an @sshole to everyone

I've tried thinking about what he does for me...and some is what I've told him I like...kissing me on the forehead comes to mind...when we are in bed watching tv...he does that almost every night

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Love is not always shown in a romantic ways If he has the "job" to take out the trash, you take it out some night when you see he is just beat. Never say "I did this because I love you" Now he has to do something to show he lives you. When he does do something nice just say "Thank you" or "I like that". No deep discussions.
    Men need simple discussions
    Remember behind every Happy man is a woman who knows how to twist him around her little finger so well that he says thank you.

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

thanks, dave :)

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

if the is an a-hole to everyone why are you with him?

Dang I just put my "Father hat" on

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

not to be mean...just his personality at times...he gets cranky like PMS cranky...but he does good things...and is a great father to his daughter with his ex...loves his mom...and even though she has treated him horribly in the past...he would do anything for her

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Ok you need to stop saying that he is an a-hole to everyone --- if you say it to others you have it on your mind when you are with him, it seeps out
    Bad scienceteach Bad scienceteach Bad scienceteach go stand out in the hall :lol:

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

lol...he says it himself :p

19. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

PMS = Putting up with Mens Sh**

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 30, 2008

BTW, hopefully you're not still babysitting his daughter every weekend. I hope he's not using you just to have a free babysitter. Many guys who have kids are like that. They want to have someone to tk care of their kids, while they go out & have fun.

21. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

Too deep of a subject for my shallow mind :haha:
    Maybe he is trying to tell you that you are too good for him?
    Or maybe he is referring to the bailout in Congress?
    Hmmmmmmmm.......................................................

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2008

Good point

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 30, 2008

That's actually what the book says :p

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2008

sos... stuck on stupid has been around as long as I have.. Yes, Steve and I have a lot in common.

My problem is not the why or how, it's the when and where.

:rolleyes: :lol::lol::lol:

In otherwords... most people take the word stupid for what it is, as an insult...and don't hear anything else you said before or after that. In the original context, the expression meant... don't be stupid by doing something stupid. Therefore...stuck on stupid.

The when and where is the important part. A text might be rather disturbing...because it is written. Now, if he said it to you in person... and was smiling while he said it... he is trying to offer friendly advice. If he is looking mean... I personally would be walking the other way.

If he says around other people and he really looks mad... I would cuss him out, and then walk the other way!

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

If you don't have time to do something right the first time, you better have time to do it over.

You made your bed; now you must sleep in it.

You dug yourself a pit. How are you going to get out?

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2008

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel?
    [​IMG]

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

I loved Mike Mulligan!

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

I don't think I'd still be with him. I have a very low tolerance level for people who are mean or selfish or thoughtless. I don't need to be treated like a queen, but you better take me at my word when I tell you I don't like something. I he tells me to lighten up or totally ignores my wishes, I become rather upset ery quickly.

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 3, 2008

I asked him...and he gave me the example of me doing something he thought was stupid:

I work 8 miles from parents house...and 2 miles from 2nd job (where he is)...he thinks I am wasting gas/miles by driving to my parents house everyday after school. I told him I'm not going to that stupid 2nd job until I have to. I would go to our house...but it's 20 miles away.
    So...I drive to parent's house...then go to second job 2 hours later. What else am I supposed to do? Blah.
    He gets mad b/c we carpool and take his car (usually) every night...and I leave mine at the dealership so I don't put the miles on it. He just thinks I might has well drive home since I am putting the same amount of miles driving to and from places.
    Makes sense...but again...not going to sit at the 2nd job until my shift begins (I answer phones...wooo).
    He heard it on the radio that morning, and liked it.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 3, 2008

Actually the more I thought about it, the more I think it more simply means: Don't keep repeating past mistakes.

Love languages IS all about learning how your significant other views and needs to give and receive love. For example, my husband is a doer. So just because I say all the beautiful words in the world, doing something for him gets recognized. For me, I love to sit and talk so the more he listens to me and shares his thoughts with me, I feel more valued and loved. The key is to learn to recognize when the other is giving love the way they view it and at the same time realizing that we need to TRY to get out of our idea of what it should be expressed like and show them love in the way they view it.

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 3, 2008

Let me see if I have this right. You and BF live 20 miles from the school where you teach. Your parents live 8 miles from the school, and school is 2 miles from your 2nd job. He thinks you should not be at your folks house between jobs because....he thinks you need to come home and drive all the way back? And then drive home again? That is 80 miles (20 miles each direction) versus about 50 miles if you hang out at your folks' house in between jobs? Are you not going to the 2nd job? Then it would be even less. Let's see 80 vs. 50, 80 vs. 50. It sounds like he is stuck on stupid and needs to check his math skills. I think he just wants his car back.

32. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 4, 2008

lol...sorry for confusion...

in the morning...when we do carpool...he drives to the dealership...I p/u my car and go to school...he just sleeps in the parking lot of dealership (in the back) until it's his time to go in...

when I leave school...I drive my car to parents house...and then to second job.

he doesn't want me driving to our house and back to second job...just drive to second job and stay there until I start work...or something in the area...which would make me spend money cause the mall is here...

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

So he likes sleeping in his car until work starts so he thinks you should be like him and just drive to work and wait until your shift starts...he needs to get over it. You're working 2 jobs. You want to avoid spending extra money at the mall. You like to spend some time with your parents...sounds like he's the one stuck on stupid...

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2008

Just tell him "No I wont, but I still love you"

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2008

Like I tell my kids...

Everything you hear you don't have to repeat... Just because somebody else said it doesn't mean you can use it every time you don't like something.

there is a bit of negativity in there my friend.

Now that I know the whole story....

He wants his car. He doesn't seem to interested in your 2nd job. And really not pleased that you are visiting family.

Hmmmm.....

I think I'll step out now...