Don't call me stupid please.. I'm a first year teacher but..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Aspiringinstruc, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Do standards have to be posted in the front of the classroom or can I post them on my back bulletin board and refer to them throughout my lesson.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Whatever works for you and your school. :)

I prefer front, but if you don't have room then I'm sure they'll serve their purpose in the back.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

In my school they can be posted anywhere as long as we refer to them, like you suggested...

:hugs: and there are NO stupid questions! :hugs:

We have all been beginning teachers at one time. :love:

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Post them upside down, backwards, and in Korean if you want. The only thing that matters is that the STUDENTS know the learning goals when working on activities. That THEY know the purpose of what they are doing.

6. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Thanks you all

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I know you're being silly, but unfortunately students knowing the goals and purposes isn't enough. We are marked for not having clear "I can..." statements posted.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I'm glad we're not marked down for not having standards posted. I have no idea where I'd put them! I do put the daily agenda up with a brief objective though.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Several teachers at my school put them on the inside of their classroom door. As long as your principal doesn't care, post them wherever.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I am just trying to stress to a new teacher that the value is not in posting goals around the room, not making nice neat borders,having beautiful posters..etc.

That the value comes from talking about the goals, that the students know what they are trying to learn, what they are supposed to get out of the activity. Not following a checklist of "stuff".

The new teacher should understand how it will help her students learn, not just that it will be a check on a principal's walk through.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Yeah, I understand, this is the problem with our education system and why students struggle to achieve. Many administrators are more concerned with a checklist than whether or not students are actually using it.

I am fortunate in my school (we are supposed to post them as well), but our principal will ask kids what they are learning. If kids can articulate the goals, then it is job well done.

But the new teacher really needs to ask her principal where they want it. I am sure some schools mandate a specific spot where they are to be placed.

12. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Interestingly, we're not required to post the standards on our walls in my district.

I'd be curious if other districts do not require it as well.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

This is a great question to ask your new supervising administrator. At my school, we must post our essential questions, content objectives, and languages objectives. I don't think that it matters to my supervisor where they are posted as long as they are.

I would be careful to accept Pashtun's advice that it doesn't matter where you post them. Many schools these days are under intense scrutiny and supervisors employ a "checklist mentality" when doing classroom walkthroughs and teacher evaluations. I have always been of the opinion that a teacher should never give away any freebies to get dinged on during an evaluation. Have everything that your supervisor wants, even if you think it's stupid. If you're going to lose points on your eval, don't let it be for something silly and simple like posting objectives.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

That's part of OTES....you will (eventually) have to post them.

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

You should read what I wrote. I said the only person they should be asking advice about this is their principal.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

I did read it. I was responding to your first post.

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 22, 2013

Definitely agree to ask your admin what they prefer.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

My point was simply that you need to do what your supervisor says, especially if you're a first-year teacher.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Just to be clear. This is a joke. I was only trying to point out why posting objectives is important.

The ONLY person you should ask this question of is your principal.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2013

Personally, I think they should read: "at the end of this (lesson/unit/whatever), I WILL be able to". JMHO

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Yes, I did realize (as I said) that you were just being silly...but it's not the best advice to offer a new teacher who very possibly will have an administrator dictate where and when and how to post objectives. Your post kind of dismissed that and declared that all that really mattered is that students understand what they're learning.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I like "I am learning...". :)

(ETA: And what you've shared, too.)

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Now your talking.

I use it to prep kids for what we will be working on in that particular activity. Often at some point I will ask the question "is everyone expected to be able to do this today", most of the time it is "no", but everyone should be adding to their understanding.

24. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Yeah, maybe I gave the OP too much credit. I never thought they would actually post them upside down, backwards, and translated into a foreign language.

However, I know tons of teachers who post standards because it is on a check list. Their students have no idea what they are, they never refer to them, use them, talk about them, but they get a point.

OP. Please take all of my "advice" with a grain of salt. However, in the long run, knowing why students should know the standards will serve your students and your teaching better than just getting a point on a checklist.

25. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I didn't even realize there were people who had to post the standards in their rooms. At my school, we do not. We also do not have to submit formal lesson plans with objectives/goals/standards, etc. What I do is keep a spreadsheet (quick reference) of all the standards with the standards on one axis and the unit numbers on another. I check off which standards are addressed in each unit. Then I also generate a document for each unit where I specifically layout how each standard is met, which 21st century goals were met and how, and then space to discuss interdisciplinary strategies, differentiation, and incorporation of technology, etc. But I only do this for my own personal edification, it's not required, and if for some reason my admin and I do not see eye to eye on evals and it pertains to this, I have my documentation to support that I do.

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I am being ridiculous for pointing out to a new teacher to consider WHY they are posted? That the importance is not on posting them, it is on the students knowing what they are learning in a given activity?

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

No. But I have not the patience to elaborate tonight.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

I think that this is getting to be more and more common. My school has these, and many more, requirements. We're also part of a giant federal grant, which means that we've got people from the district, state, and federal levels in and out of our classrooms all year long and they want to see certain things when they come in. We don't "submit" lesson plans, but we do enter them into an online system called Curriculum Engine. Our supervisor can pull up our plans at any time from any computer. CE can track objectives for most grades/subjects (although not for mine, unfortunately).

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

OP, this is a question to ask admin or the other teachers at your grade level - they'll know what is required. At my school, we are not required to post the standards, but we are required to post objectives (which are based on the standards, of course). These are not REQUIRED to be posted in a specific place, but it is the culture of the school that they are posted in the front of the room. As a first year teacher, you're going to want to feel out what the culture of the school is - what's required, what's expected, and what is just usually done by the other teachers. This will show you are a team player. :)

And never feel stupid. I can't begin to tell you how many questions I asked my teammates last year...wow. Find one or two teachers (preferably more than one so you can spread the questions around! lol) at your school who can answer questions like these and who you feel comfortable with. I promise that will be a lifesaver for you! :)

Good luck!:)

30. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2013

OMG I am a new teacher too but I have been teaching in Head Start for 4 years and I know nothing about posting objectives. Can someone elaborate a little, I am nervous, we are in VA so not a common core school if that matters.......

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

It's just a way of letting your students (and anyone else who might come into your room) know what the day's goal is.

These can sound a little different depending on the format that your admin prefers, but generally they start with an "I can" or "I will be able to" or "Students will be able to" sort of thing. After that, you just fill in the skill that they need to be learning. In my classroom, they sound like this:

Students will describe the forms and functions of the 3rd conjugation future tense.
    Students will differentiate between different types of myths.
    Students will compare and contrast advertising techniques of Ancient Rome and America.

32. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

It is not so much posting objectives its more the idea that your students know what they are learning, that you are specific. So for example, if you are going to read a chapter and compare/contrast 2 characters as the activity, you want to make this explicit throughout the session.

So you may post things like
    Compare and contrast Tim and Julie
    a. their actions
    b. their thoughts
    c. physical aspects
    d. effect on the story

The idea is that students know more specifically what they are to be focusing on and learning during that activity.

33. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

Ditto what Caesar said. :)

In my class (first grade) they look more like this:

"We will add 2 to even numbers."
    "We will retell the beginning, middle, and end of 'The Three Bears.'"
    "We will identify proper nouns."

They're simple because we read them together as a class and go over them a few times at the beginning and end of a lesson. We write them in language the kids can understand. The language would obviously be more complex in later grades. :)

34. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2013

35. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2013

We are required to display them in the room and to refer to them at the beginning and end of the lesson. Ours are "I can/by" statements such as "I can solve word problems by using a variety of methods." I'm not a huge fan of them and I've spent a lot of time with my principal and she's giving me some freedom with my statements. For example: "At the end of this lesson I will be able to solve word problems by using a variety of methods." Almost the same words, it just makes more sense in my brain.

36. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I really admire all of you who use these.

I've seen some "I Can" for fourth grade on TPT; however, my biggest trepidation is that I would forget to post them!

Maybe an easel-type structure where I can flip them over?

37. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2013

I just write mine on the board for the next day in the afternoon. I made subject headers and put magnet tape on them so they'd stick to the board. If I were going to use a pocket chart, I'd probably use the dry erase sentence strips.

38. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I wrote mine every morning on the white board. Half way through the year we were required to switch from "Students will be able to..." to "I will be able to..." We were also given a specific verb list we were required to use for the objectives. It changed so many times last year we were always asking each other what we were supposed to do.

39. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2013

Not a stupid question at all--It really depends on the school, the principal, and the district. I know there is at least one district near me that requires teachers to post standards at the front of the room. Many require you to post them somewhere in the room, but it doesn't matter where it is. Some don't require it at all, but it is considered "best practice" to do so somewhere in the room.

If no one has told you otherwise, then I would feel that anywhere in the room is acceptable. Leave some space in the front of your room just in case your P tells you otherwise closer to when school begins.

It is great that you are asking ?'s as a 1st year teacher. I asked a bunch my 1st year, but looking back, I wish I would have asked more.

40. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 23, 2013

It is not a requirement at my district either. Though I have a feeling we are the exception. Our principal trusts us to know and follow our standards. (He doesn't even really do official walk throughs, though he is in and out of our rooms quite often interacting with the kids. We have an awesome principal.) We do not even have to post them on our lesson plans. We must turn in lesson plans, but they can be as vague or detailed as we want. Some teachers may just put "Place Value to 999" while others get more detailed. My grade level will reference certain activities and worksheet numbers, but these are just guides. Even if I did post the standards, the students would never look at them. I do write the skill we are working on, on the board if I remember.

41. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 23, 2013

This is the point I was trying to make earlier. Too many teachers do things as a check list, it won't help the students or the teacher. In order to make posting standards effective, it is what you do with the students before, after, and during actually posting them.