Don't Beat Yourself Up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeachInTX, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 7, 2012

For those teachers still out there seeking a job... Don't beat yourself up. YOU are not the problem. The problem is that our teacher to job ratio is at an all time low. However, the good news is that the job market is up substantially from last year and hopefully those numbers will continue to improve. But it is not YOUR FAULT. There are hundreds of qualified applicants. Schools are looking for a just right fit. This is a great time for hiring because schools have a great data base of potential candidates. How do they get the best of the best? Here is what we do: Careful consideration is given of tests that are given during the application process, looking over countless resumes that are polished and impressive, word of mouth through staff or other administrators, and an interview process that will hopefully weed out candidates that might not mesh with the team or the belief system of the school culture. DO go the extra mile and send resumes to principals, talk to teacher friends to get the scoop on potential positions, and DO make sure that your references are above reproach. Then go into the interview with a sense of humor, a calm demeanor, and a knowledge base of the school's mission. Good luck and remember... there is only so much YOU can do. Don't beat yourself up! Just keep on chugging until that "just right job" is YOURS!:cool:

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Aug 7, 2012

Thank you for posting this. I always remind myself that when a job doesn't work out, it's because it wasn't right for me and something else will come along.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

So true :)

5. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 7, 2012

I needed to read this today, thanks for posting. I subbed last year until I got a para position but was not rehired due to budget cuts in our county. 30,000 applicants for 385 jobs- needless to say I did not get hired. I do have several sub jobs lined up and a long term sub starting in October at my school that I worked at last year. When I start to feel bad about myself, I need to remember your words. (I am also middle-aged and this is my second career so I tend to beat myself up about it)
    Hopefully next year will be the year!