DonorsChoose.org

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Jan 27, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 30, 2018

In the case of funding a PD, I have to agree that is an incorrect use of DC. My hope is to use it to purchase a washer and dryer (I have a plumber who will donate his services to hook them up) for my homeless students who don't have clean clothes. If they stay in school for the day, they get access to the facilities.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

Sounds like a noble venture. How will you fund the ongoing detergent and dryer sheets?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 30, 2018

Good question! I have an individual sponsor who has given the school a stipend at the local grocery store for breakfast items and other needs, but not enough for this kind of machinery.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  4. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jan 30, 2018

I don't get how using DC for PD could be seen as a "misuse" of the site. No one is forcing any donors to contribute, and there is a limit on what expenses you can request funding for (for example, they'll include the full cost for conference fees, but have a (fairly small) cap on flight and hotel expenditures. You can't just take a fancy trip abroad and write it all off, that's not how the site works.

According to John Hattie's research, teacher efficacy is one of the most powerful and predictive factors in improving student outcomes, and I think that self-selected professional development can only increase Teacher efficacy. I don't see how anyone could try to claim that PD doesn't directly benefit students.

5. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jan 30, 2018

Total transportation expenditures covered PER TRIP is $150. That includes round-trip airfare and ground transportation. They also give a total lodging allowance of $100/day. Good luck planning a lavish trip to Japan on that budget.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

Admittedly, I didn’t notice the cap on transportation. I’m willing to admit when wrong. I don’t see there being a cap on how many days beyond the PD you can stay and take advantage of $100 per day hotel and $60 per day food though.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

There are local and webinar training options, many of which are free. Theoretically there is only so much money to go around, I think that should go to tangible things that are available to the children. Most would agree, for PD to be successful, there has to be continued follow up, not attend lectures for a few days. We aren’t talking about earth shifting changes occuring based on a few days in Florida.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

1. This is a national conference for the Council for Exceptional Children. It's not something that can just be done online. I NEVER get PD related to Special Education. Trust me, few people care what we do or the progress my kids make.
    2. My district would never be able to afford to pay for this conference even if they felt like it...some wealthy districts can. It's not fair that some teachers get access to that information/training for their students, and some don't.
    3. If PD was an incorrect use of DC, PD wouldn't be an option. I've done nothing wrong. You have no idea what "continued follow up" is planned for my PD or how I plan to reflect on my own learning. I don't participate in things that won't be beneficial to my students.

Glad to see assuming positive intent remains alive and well!

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 31, 2018

Heaven help better teacher training help students...

10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2018

This is why "Assume Good Intentions" is one of our staff norms. I think we all want what's best and right for our kids and the best/ethical use of money.

bella84 likes this.
  11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 31, 2018

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

Let’s remember what I responded to, “I'm headed to a PD trip in Florida next week...all expenses paid, thanks to DC!”

Context is important. I never slammed PD. The poster declared it as if she won a trip on a game show.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 31, 2018

Never said you did.

14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

I wasn’t talking about you, that was the direction people were heading.

15. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jan 31, 2018

I'd venture to say that there really isn't enough quality research on the subject to make a reliable inference about the value of PD. The article you linked to whittled the review down to only 5 studies that fit their criteria for making causal inferences. I would exercise caution when extrapolating from such a limited sample size.

This quote was taken from the resources that were cited in the article you linked to:
    "This report finds that teachers who receive substantial professional development—an average of 49 hours in the nine studies— can boost their students’ achievement by about 21 percentile points."

So, again, I'd say we just don't have enough quality data yet to make the call that PD isn't worth spending time and money on.

AlwaysAttend likes this.