DonorsChoose.org

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by njteach41, Aug 13, 2010.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 13, 2010

I LOVE DONORS CHOOSE!!!

I really encourage all educators to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. I just had Reading/Writing Cart funded. It is one of those carts that work perfectly for morning meeting or guided reading where you can hang chart paper on, have storage bins and a whiteboard all in one. I also have a USA Carpet for our library close to being completely funded. Last year I had a heavy duty pencil sharpener and supplies funded, weekly reader magazines, and a classroom projector.

If you have never used donorschoose, give it a try. We all dream of these fully stocked, supply filled classroom. However, we know that is not a reality. There is always something that we wish we had. It could be as little as pencils and dictionaries to something greater like a smartboard or projector, or maybe a field trip.

I am so excited about how donors choose and wonderful people and companies have contributed to my dream classroom.

Anyone else share this excitement!!

3. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

I love Donors Choose and have had a handful of projects funded also! I think it's amazing that people are willing to help out. I love that there are people out there that support and believe in education. I have two proposals that I'm brewing up right now and I hope they go through quickly!!!!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

Good going! It is great that you asked and received! I have had two projects funded there, too, even though we're not high-poverty.

And thanks for the idea of using the chart cart for writing supplies. I posted a q asking about how to store writing supplies, and you answered it by accident ;)

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Donors Choose rocks! I have had several projects funded, and it is wonderful! I have gotten books, microscopes, owl pellets, pictures books to teach writing....I love it!!!

6. apple4teach

apple4teach Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Can I ask what you all did to get your projects funded? This is my first time using donor's choose and want to know the best ways to make it work for my kids.

Thanks!

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

I'm still hoping my request for textbooks gets funded. It's partially there now!

8. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

Donors Choose is amazing!! I have had 2 projects funded and have 3 waiting. I hope they come through too :)

On a related note, if you pledge (which consists of giving your email and zip code) to see the movie Waiting for Superman, they will give you a gift card for $5 to use towards your project. I just got mine and immediately applied it to one of my projects!
    www.waitingforsuperman.com

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

apple4teach, I think the most important thing is to state your entire case in terms of how the students will benefit. It's sometimes subtle, but instead of, "I could teach the students more effectively," say, "The students could learn more effectively...".

I also think the lower cost proposals are funded more quickly than very costly ones.

HTH

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

I've submitted 2 projects, and neither was funded. I only have 1 point left, and I'm afraid to submit another project, because it may be my last. :(

11. njteach41

Aug 14, 2010

I'm not sure what I do to get my projects funded. I guess I just try to explain the situation and the need to its fullest. And I agree with what TeacherShelly said in her post. It has to be about the students and making people feel the need of the students and want to help out.

12. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 14, 2010

kapdel- i went to that superman site, put in my info and never received a code. I received an email that says subscription confirmation, but it does not have a code. is there another email?

13. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

SunnyReader --
    Yes, there is another one. It took about one day to receive my code (I thought I did it wrong at first!) But once I got it, I was able to go in and apply it to one of my projects without a problem!

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 16, 2010

For one of my projects, I sat down and interviewed my students. I asked them why they would like to have more hands-on science materials. I got some really cute responses, and quoted them in my proposal. The company that funded my project said it was "good stuff" and to keep them in mind if I need funding again!

Here is a link to that proposal:
    http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=391467#

I also took advantage of Bing's teacher appreciation back in May/June. I borrowed the laptop cart and my students submitted stories about their teachers. They loved it! And then we used the codes toward our project, and two other 2nd grade projects. The kids were so invested in the projects, and told the rising students the last day of school that they were going to get to use a lot of "really cool stuff".

15. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 16, 2010

One more question- I received an email today that I am eligible for an "almost Home" offer that would knock me from 425 to $98. I looked at my project and it said $98, then when I submitted $25 more (thanks to waiting for superman), my almost home offer was gone and I was back at $400.

What is going on?

16. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

17. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I just received the email at 1pm, and it ran out by 2pm?

18. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Hello Everyone:

I submitted two projects early August. I do not want to get my hopes up, but I will really be dissapointed if they do not get funded. Any other suggestions as far as how to attract donors??

Thank you,

Naomi

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

I just submitted one this weekend, geez, I really need it funded. I had one funded last year and have high hopes for this one too.

20. njteach41

Aug 16, 2010

i started two on July 9th, one was funded over the weekend and the other has $135 left, started at $450. sometimes things get funded quickly and others wait until the last minute!

21. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

Kind of off-topic, but if you go to Build-a-Bear now through Sept. 6, you can choose to have $1 donated to donorschoose.org. This is the organization they have chosen as their organization of the month.

22. ncruz000

ncruz000 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Do u have any suggestions in how to get them funded so quickly!

23. njteach41

Aug 16, 2010

i just try to express how much the donor's contributions will benefit the students. i also try to convey how hard i work to provide the best education and how i value education and my students.

24. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 16, 2010

My project has been up since August 1 and it is almost funded! I'm trying to get a class subscription for "News Weeks" and "Times for Kids"