DonorsChoose.org

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by njteach41, Jul 9, 2010.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 9, 2010

Have you used donorschoose.org, what have you received, and how long did it take to get funded?

1) Epson LCD Projector - took about 5 months
    2) Heavy Duty Xacto Sharpener, pencils, erasers, pencil cups - 2 months
    3) 60 subscriptions to Weekly Reader Magazine - 2 months.

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

Set of 14 children's dictionaries (the big, illustrated hardbound kind), less than one month.

4. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I have something listed and I feel like no one can see it. Did you market this yourself or did you wait for donors to come to you?

5. njteach41

Jul 9, 2010

I posted my stuff on facebook, i had a few friends contribute (nothing major) i really just waited for donors to come to me. And its strange, it really happens all at once, i would go from no donations, to 3 in a week. Just gotta be patient I guess, it'll get funded.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

I've had some just get archived because time ran out and I've also had about 8 filled, half of them were because of a company donation-like Pepsi decides to fill science ones or almost home offers and they do all but like $98. :p:

workstation materials for reading
    science materials
    there was one for math manipulative
    cassettes for take-home stories (Lakshore's cassette players were awful by the way-I wished I could return them)
    books for our library
    I just had one for ipods filled-we're going to use those to record stories on now.

I didn't market at all besides having the link on my website. Facebook wouldn't help me much either because most of my friends are as poor as I am :)! I was really impressed at one set of books because it was when the economy just started going bad and this stranger gave the donation for the whole proposal. People's generosity really amazes me sometimes! That's why I usually keep one posted-just in case.

7. njteach41

Jul 9, 2010

I agree, I am amazed by the generosity that is out there. Most of my donors were just families or individuals would wanted to donate.

I was motivated enough to write up another proposal this afternoon. I really want one of those rolling carts with the chart paper, bins, and pocket charts for my library area. I want to move my students around for morning meeting and mini lessons and this would be perfect. I'm excited!

8. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I've had 14 funded so far. 8 of those are not coming until the new school years.
    So far I have received:
    1. Ric Burns' Documentary DVD set on New York
    2. Almost $600 worth of ancient history trade books
    3. Another $200 worth of ancient history trade books
    4. Whiteboards, caddy to hold them, erasers and a huge set of sry erase markers
    5. Another $250 worth of books
    6. ELMO - document camers
    7. 20 brand new atlases
    8. color printer and extra ink
    9. laser printer and extra toner
    10. Flip video camera
    11. HP mini netbook
    12. $250 worth of 8th grade social studies trade books
    13. 13 8th grade books and tons of assorted paper (chart tablets, color printer paper, tag board, construction paper, sentence strips)
    14. 11 assorted history DVD's

These are all things that would have been hard if not impossible for me to buy on my own without going broke. A lot was through partner funding, bing codes and strangers. I've been really lucky!

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Just out of curiosity does the stuff you get funded through donorschoose stay at the school you were at when you got it funded or is it yours to take if you leave that school?
    I have never used it, but I was curious about that.

10. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I think it says on the website that if your proposal was something that any teacher can use it stays. So if you write that your class needs a video camera to tape various school activities it stays. But if you write something you specifically want to do with the item you can take it with you. So I guess if you write that you want a video camera to make historically accurate newscasts you get to keep it. That's the way I read into it. I don't know what really might happen you try to take things with you.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2010

Would someone post what their "project" looks like? I just joined, and I'm waiting for my confirmation email. My first project will be Weekly Reader and National Geographic for Kids magazines for my kiddos.

12. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Wow! dmbfan36, you've had a lot funded! When you asked for books, did you list specific titles?
    I just submitted my first donors choose, asking for an iPod touch. Also, can you have more than one project out at a time?

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

Even though they send my P an e-mail saying it was filled, my school doesn't really keep track of the stuff-I take it with me.

You can have multiple projects at the same time.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

I was sad that you have to upload a class picture. I don't have one, and I don't have photo permission for any of my students if I did. In fact, this is a new class, and I'm asking for what we need to be able to take pictures of what we're doing that will be fun! Any tips for someone who can't upload pics of my students?

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2010

I just submitted my first request! It is for Weekly Readers, Time for Kids, and Children's Dictionaries! Now I'm gonna be holding my breath until I see what happens!

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks Kinder and dmbfan. I was wondering that for a while.

17. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I just switched over to a new school and all I have are pics of my new empty classroom. I too am sad that we need a picture to start the process :(

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

I'm going to look and see if I have any drama club pictures from last year that show me with enough students. But none of those are in my actual classroom, but in the aud or backstage! I'm just not a very picturey person, and plus it's kindof creepy for me to constantly be taking pictures with my high school students. Sadly, I'm moving rooms this summer, so I don't even have empty rooms to show!

19. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

You need to put a picture up but it doesn't need to be a class picture. I have one of my room and I see many people that have pictures of their room, themselves and even random teacher related clip art. Don't let that stop you! You can always change it later on in the school year if you wish.

20. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

Yes, you actually "shop" for the books on barnes and noble so you get what you want from them. You can have up to 8 projects up or waiting to be completed with thank you packages as long as you have the points for them.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

An empty classroom actually might look like you need the supplies! :) Really you could even post a pic of yourself or take a picture of something teacher-related-an empty library shelf-anything would work.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

About a year ago I had 2 modest projects up-one for big books, and one for books on CD. They were not fully funded. Not even close...I think it's because I teach in a "minimal poverty" school (2% free/reduced lunch). It stinks because we still don't have any money at my school, and I definitely don't have my own money to spend!

I might try one this coming school year.

23. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

To use this Donors web site you have to be a public school?

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

Yes, it has to be a public school.

25. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

26. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

DARN!!!

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

I don't think I wrote enough in my sections. I mean, they need a camera to make their student films as part of a film studies course. I made it sound a bit more fancy than that, but not much... We'll see if it gets approved or not. How long does that usually take?

28. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 9, 2010

How do you get a double offer? I have seem many people with those, did you apply?

29. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I've had over 50 grants funded- Love them- but right now I'm behind on a thank you package- It's been a rough few weeks. Off to do that now!

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

Companies offer it from time to time. There's a place to see what offers are available for your region-usually it's by state. There's something like a monthly "newsletter". I've gone so far as to post for math materials when I knew they were doubling the offer for math proposals in Texas.