DonorsChoose celebration

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

My last project times out with only one small donation. I wrote another for a LittleBits kit and it had a few days left when 3 donations came through in one day. Yay for people making donations for tax breaks! All 3 came from around the country and people I don't know.

3. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 31, 2014

Congratulations! I've typically had the best luck this time of year with Donors Choose.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I am always surprised with how generous people can be--even if it's a tax write-off. ;) Congrats!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

Congratulations to you! You must've written good requests!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

I've been pretty lucky with DonorsChoose. This is my 14th or 15th. Most of mine are around $250 or so. Of course I've had about that many not funded, too, lol. I have a starter LittleBits Kit, and the kids love it. They will be really excited to see the Advanced kit come in. The news has been so full of bad/sad news, it makes me feel good to know that people are out there still making donations and helping out.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

I followed my tradition, and found a project that was close and almost out of time and finished their project. A little paying it forward. :)

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I wanted to put up a project for DC, but I have a problem. I really don't think I'm allowed to photograph our students, meaning, even if I asked for permission, my P would have to deny it, because it would violate their privacy, such as it would be obvious that have been in trouble with the law, etc, and because of that I couldn't do it.
    In San Diego when I was at juvie, at they took some pictures of us with students who were graduating, I wanted to get a copy for myself, and I couldn't. It had t go up the chain of command and it was denied, even the students were over 18.

DC says I can't just have an empty classroom. I could use student work, but being an English teacher we don't do a do a lot of projects. I do have a large collection of iPhone projects that were creative and they did a good job, should I post those?

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 31, 2014

I admit I used a classroom picture without permission. I just didn't ask. I edited the photo and blacked out all faces (it's not immediately noticeable since it's a far away shot anyway).

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I guess I could blur out the faces, but wouldn't want to take a picture without my P's permission. The kids would probably tell on me, they're somehow sensitive to taking pictures lol.

Maybe she'll give me permission if I explain the benefits and that I'll black out / blur the faces and show it to her prior to posting.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

If the pictures don't show the students faces, would they allow it? Maybe shots over shoulders, from the back, etc.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I asked my P and she agreed we can't show their faces. I'm glad I didn't actually ask her, I told her I know it's not allowed, so she doesn't think I'm clueless lol. I asked her for suggestions, she said she could come in and take a picture from the back of the classroom with me up front, and the kids facing front. The picture could be taken from an angle.

Would they allow that? I wouldn't be the focus, but they couldn't see the students' faces so I'm not sure.