Donor's Choose!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Jan 16, 2011.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

Hi there everyone...

Well first here is my link to my latest donor's choose submission:

http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=480715

I was just wondering how you get support for your project to get fully funded..I already try and get support from facebook and my twitter accounts...

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

I've been really lucky with Donors Choose. I just got my materials for my 8th project that they've gotten funded for me. I will say that the highest I've ever had funded was just over $400. The smaller projects tend to be funded more quickly. I do post my project on Facebook and have gotten a few small donations that way. Good luck with your project, I know it will make a large impact in your room!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

You can put it in your newsletter, saying something like, "If you know anyone who likes to support schools with tax-exempt donations, let them know about or Donor's Choose project."

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

I have never had a problem getting funded. I put it on my facebook page and that's it. That said, I never get donations from people I know, it's random people and businesses who want to support teachers.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

I would love to have a Donors Choose style website for Canada! If anyone hears of one, let me know!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 16, 2011

I've never promoted my project and have always been funded.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

I wish I knew the secret to being funded, but I guess sometimes it's just luck and chance. I think that the Thank you package is VERY important too. I have had a few return donors.

I would also think about any connections that you have. My dad's company has a charity foundation. They funded one of my projects. They told me to keep them in mind if I ever had another project. So a few months later, I created another project and contacted them, but it got funded by 42 generous strangers! The company told me that they really wanted to support up to $1,000 and asked me to write another proposal... I did and they committed to funding it within 20 minutes of it being posted.

My classroom had five projects funded last month! I have no idea what it was that caused donors to pick ours, but my kids are ecstatic. None of them had any sort of match offers. There were a lot of donations last month for tax deduction purposes, but I had teammates that didn't get any donations. I don't know what made our projects more appealing.... I wish I did so that I could use that to our advantage!

I did send out about 30 letters two weeks ago to local restaurants and businesses. I was hoping that this would get at least a few small contributions, but I think my letters were ignored. It's too bad that organizations in the neighborhood would not support our classrooms. It took a lot of time and energy, and I don't think I would do it again.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 16, 2011

I also don't promote mine either and also have had great luck. Just recently I had a $400 funded with 19 different small donations.

I always try to put something in the title that will attract the attention of someone with a cause. If it's for art supplies-lots of people want to support arts in schools. For GT/Special Ed kids-I put that in the title, that way if people are searching out a specific interest, it will come up.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

That's a good point, Kinder! I tend to write the proposals the way I speak, so I try to bring in something catchy and funny. I tell my students all the time to start their writing with a "hook", so I try to do the same. (For example, the proposal that was funded to buy owl pellot kits for my room had a title something like "You want us to touch what??") I know myself when I go through projects I tend to gravitate to interesting titles. Also, I try to "pay it forward". Everytime I get a project funded, I go and find a project that is close, and pay the remainder. It feels good to help other teachers.

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

That's great! I actually just finished off a project for an elementary Autism classroom. I was really excited when I saw it was a male teacher and knew that it was the project I wanted. We really need more men involved at the elementary level... the kids need that positive male role model (this is coming from someone at a school where we only have 1 male teacher on staff- PE).