Donors Choose

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

Has anyone used the site, Donorschoose.org? I have been looking into posting a project request, however after reading several posts from other teachers, it seems as though many of the requests come from teachers that work in low income/high poverty areas. Do you have to teach in a low income school to submit a project request?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

I have seen a lot of people post that their requests were funded. I think people are always willing to help those who need it most, but I would still try. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

I think it helps to be in a high poverty/low income school (their resources are often pitiful), but I'd give it a go anyway. I've had three projects funded...but then again, I would in a HP/LI school. Keep your request reasonable (under $400) and keep in mind they add tax, shipping, and a donation to DC to your request. Good luck!

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

I just had a project funded! I am in a high poverty district, though. Good luck.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 10, 2010

They often have companies who will match or fund part of your proposal based on whether it's math or literacy or the region you live in. I just had 2 that were funded to all but $98 by Chase (I hit family members up for the rest by posting it on Facebook).

They certainly will take a proposal from any working teacher.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

I have had almost 10 projects funded in the past 2 years or so. I am at a high poverty school as well.

8. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Apr 10, 2010

I've heard a lot of great things about this site...only wish they would extend the program to private schools as well. :-(

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 10, 2010

I've had many successes with them- but I've always worked at schools between 60 and 95 % low income.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 10, 2010

I had my only project funded fully. I'm in in a wealthy district, too!

11. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 10, 2010

Thanks for the input! What types of projects did you guys ask for? My district is in a middle/upper middle class neighborhood, however due to budget cuts there isn't any money for even the most basic things. I would love to get new books and other supplies for my classroom.

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

I just received 4 sets of leveled books.

13. meltua

meltua Rookie

Apr 10, 2010

I'm in a middle class area and got one project funded for about $400. It got funded on less than 2 weeks too!

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2010

had 4 projects funded.....
    2 times literacy reading backpacks to take home
    math manips
    time 4 kids

terrific for low income schools without resources.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 10, 2010

I have had several funded projects, forensics kits, science manipulatives, class set of books, social studies manipulatives, tools for gardening, book binding machine, and video camera. They are an amazing program!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 10, 2010

Me too. Just because a school isn't funded by the state doesn't mean it is raking in the dough. I would have some technology reguests. They aren't liked to specific projects, but would enrich the overall teaching and learning experiences. I recently saw how a Smartboard could be incorporated into so many aspects of the school day. I want one of those!

17. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

Specifically, no, you do not have to teach in a low income school to submit a project request.

18. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 11, 2010

Thinking about the different projects proposed by myself and other colleagues, the ones that have gotten funded were all well-written and engaging and asked for things that truly enriched learning in the classroom - everything from iPods and tricycles to karaoke and archery. One co-worker requested a rotating bookcase... her proposal was boring and dry and never got funded. If you want a higher $$$ proposal to get through, look on the site for any special funding for specific topics or regions. I posted a high cost proposal three times (about 5 dozen books plus archery and fencing equipment) and ultimately it got funded when a group got wind of it and posted it on their website. You never know...

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2010

If they extended it to private schools, I would probably fund some projects. I refuse to give money to an organization that leaves out private schools.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

No, although I have wanted to but I am not in the US and they only serve US schools. Does anyone know of anything similar to this for Mexico???

21. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 12, 2010

I posted a request for a webcam and got it funded within a week! I was shocked! I do teach in a low-income school.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 12, 2010

I was funded a few months ago for 4 Tag Readers and 2 Tag libraries to go with them. It took almost the entire 6 months to get funded.
    I have new project up for non-fiction books and was 1/2 way funded by the 2nd day. We'll see how long it takes if it does get all the way through.
    I have a 3rd project in the works for a series of enrichment books. I'm waiting to finish this until later.

23. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

Yea I was kind of shocked that this org. wasn't extended to all schools. I teach in a low-income private school (yea this sounds like an oxy-moron, but they do exist), where 90% of our kids are on the free-reduced lunch program, but because I am not in a public school-I can't request for things we desperately need, very discouraging.

24. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2010

I've tried it but I apparently wasn't a very good writer as my items were never funded. I could never figure out how to get more points either. You only get like 3 and if they aren't funded, oh well.

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 13, 2010

I teach in a "minimal poverty" school, and have never had a project funded. I try to keep the total cost low, too. So far it hasn't worked out well for me!

26. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

You definitely don't have to work in a low income school to submit a project, it just is more of an incentive for donors to give since at those poverty stricken schools they do not have the budgets to fund the necessary materials like bigger schools do. I have used it successfully this year and it is fabulous! Though, I would recommend to submit a project at the beginning of the school year because there are a LOT of donations during the holiday season and helps with funding quickly. Hope this helps and good luck!

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

I tend to write my proposal as if I were sitting in front of the person telling them my plans. I sometimes get a little . . . "animated" when I talk and my writing often comes across that way. It's just like we tell the kids in their writing, we want it to be a loades, ooeey gooey hamburger, not a mayonaisse sandwich. I try and spice it up and use humor and be very clear on how it will help my kids. A large portion of it is luck, though. They have so many proposals and matching your proposal with the person who would love to fund it, that's an art. Definitely at least make your title eye catching. (I had one funded almost immediately to buy science materials to do owl pellets. The title was something like "You Want me to Touch THAT??!!" The person who funded it told me that the title is what drew them to my proposal.
    Also, be sure your read their newsletter. Several of my projects were written and funded because of specials that they had. (Disney Planet Challenge, etc).
    Good luck!! :)

28. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

May 6, 2010

I posted this topic about a month ago and after reading your replies, I decided to go ahead and post my project on Donors Choose. Anyway, today I found out that my project got fully funded! It only took a month. I am so excited! I definitely recommend teachers try donors choose!

29. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 6, 2010

Has anyone had any problem with their writing not being good enough? I have had all of mine sent back saying I need to rewrite it.

30. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 7, 2010

Really? I have never had that happen. I have had around 11 projects funded (and have 3 up now). I do agree with a previous poster that you need to be very specific and detailed in your post. I also put links in my newsletters to share with families. I have gotten some donations that way.

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2010

I've not had any sent back to me to rewrite. Then again, I've only had 3 projects that I've posted. I try to include some type of research to back up my requests.