Donors Choose Project

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Sep 17, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 17, 2008

WHOOO HOOO! I just got a phone call that my Donors Choose project has been fully funded! I'm so excited!

This has been such a horrible week with Hurricane Ike. Our community is suffering so much right now, and to find out that we've got a project approved.... Well, I just can't tell you how happy I am! When the man called, I started crying. We NEEDED some good news so desperately.

Anyway, just wanted to share! :D

3. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 17, 2008

That is SO great!

What is the project?

I've been funded twice in the past, and hope to continue with the good luck. Though, I've never gotten a personal phone call!!

Congratulations, that is such good news for you and your classroom!

My heart goes out to you and all those affected by these terrible storms.

Again, good for you!!

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

Congrats!! I know how hard it is after a hurricane. It took 8 months for us to recover from Hurricane Rita and I just got an insurance check from Gustav and we start repairs on our house next week. I will keep you in my prayers!

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 17, 2008

That is good news! I lived in Houston 25 years ago - and survived Hurricane Alicia. It took months to get things back to normal. Many of my students lived in the ship channel area and lived with holes in the roof for months. We made up "hurricane days" instead of snow days at the end of the year....hugs!!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 17, 2008

Thank you all for the support and prayers. I'm so disappointed that the national news has stopped covering what's happening here. Galveston looks like a bomb hit it. :(

My proposal was called "Viking Read" and I requested a class set of 4 YA novels (Speak, Go Ask Alice, Nothing But the Truth, and Burger Wuss). I teach at an alternative high school, so I wanted novels that were a bit "edgy". I'm really excited!

We're out of school all of this week, so at least will have something to celebrate on Monday when we go back.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

I know what you mean about news coverage. I sort of understood when Rita had no news coverage because it was so soon after Katrina but with Gustav and Ike, there has been nothing. A friend in California was shocked when I spoke to her the other day because she figured since there was nothing on the news, then the hurricanes must not have done much damage. She could not believe that we missed 10 days of school between the 2 storms. My area looks like a bomb fell in the area. We had 6 trees (100 year old oaks) fall in my yard. One of them fell on the back part of my house.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 17, 2008

Hi, Bandnerd! Congrats on your donors choose project!

I can't fathom the recovery you are facing. My thoughts are with you.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2008

Congrats on getting the funding!!!

I can only imagine what you and the rest of our fellow Texans are going through in starting the rebuilding process. I contine to pray for yall.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2008

Congrats!!!

I just got an email saying my 2 that have been funded were purchased Monday. I can not wait to get them!

11. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 18, 2008

Thats wonderful too! Loves2Teach... what were your proposals for???