Donor's Choose ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzykates, Nov 24, 2009.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

What would you ask for for your classroom if you proposed a donors choose project? I am curious because there are so many things I need and would like, but don't know what to ask for. What would you want?

3. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Nov 24, 2009

Books

I'm looking to add more variety to our take home reading library. The books that go home tend to get more beat up than books the kiddos use when I'm watching them in school.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

Technology is a common request (cameras, projectors, computers) but perhaps too common and would take a long time to fill. I think the take-home idea is great and a good attraction to donors. You'd buy little canvas bags, books and activities for the kids to take home.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 24, 2009

I had 2 projects last year. One was for big books, and the other was for listening center books. Neither one was even close to being funded. :(

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 24, 2009

I had one funded for books last year, biographies specifically. I wanted my kids to learn about others who achieved under adverse circumstances and just about everyone has had some kind of heart ache in their life. It was funded immediately.

I'm working on another one for books this fall, I don't have much time so it's a hit and miss, maybe before Christmas I'll have it finished.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 24, 2009

I've had several funded. Some of the things I've gotten are: binding machine, video camera, class set of Little House on the Prairie, forensics kits (through Carolina), Owl pellet kits, and Leapster games and books. If you are stuck for ideas, use their search and check out other proposals. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 24, 2009

They have several areas in which you can be guaranteed 50% fulfillment... for example, I know this is the case right now with projects related to water conservation/stewardship and projects for high-poverty high school students in Houston. If you have a dream project along the lines of something that would get preference like that, go for it.

I've had several projects funded... one was for a variety of hands-on science activities, one for math manipulatives and games, an election kit and books for last year's election, a karaoke machine, and most recently a classroom set of Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief as well as the rest of the books in the series, plus archery equipment! As long as you're passionate in your project and write your proposal in a way that projects your enthusiasm, you should be good. I've been very fortunate. Good luck!