Done with my first day of school!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2019

Overall, I had a really good first day. Most of the kids were pretty good but I also got to figure out which kids might be challenging.

I was definitely more clear and specific with expectations and the kids followed directions. Snack time was a little chaotic since I'm still getting used to my schedule but I think I will do better with that tomorrow and set timers so I am on track. I think overall I did a much better job than my first day last year. My first class today was the inclusion class and it wasn't perfect but my second class was really awesome. I know that the behavior will get more challenging but I was happy with how it went today. :)

There was one kid that was blurting out. I think he wanted attention but I talked to him at lunch and I think he'll be better tomorrow. It seems like he does not have any friends. I do think it's easier to conference with kids since I only have 24 of them in each class compared to my 34 last year. Having the room to move around the room makes me happy. There are definitely some tough kids (2 are transitioning from an emotional impairment program) so I am trying to be really consistent with classroom management. I did have a situation where a few students were giggling when someone else was talking and I was firm about respect, etc.

I'm happy because I know that the behavior at this school is generally better than the school I was in (it's a slightly wealthier demographic) but I also do think that my classroom management has shown improvement. The day was not perfect but it was MUCH better than last year when I could barely get one of my groups to stop talking lol.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 28, 2019

Sounds like you will have a pretty good year! The second year usually goes more smoothly.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2019

Glad to hear it went well!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2019

Thanks! I feel like I have A LOT to learn but I have a better sense of how to give directions and set up expectations.

I also have a math coach who will be helping me out every day for two weeks. I was worried about her being in the room but she is AWESOME. I love having her and she gives such good advice. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    bella84 and MrsC like this.
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2019

What a positive beginning!!

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 28, 2019

Awesome. I hope you have a fantastic year!

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2019

Day 2 was great!

We did an activity with expectations and the kids made posters. No markers were thrown which makes me happy first of all. (If you remember any of my posts from last year, that was a problem with any activity with markers lol.) The posters came out great and I’m going to use them to reinforce the expectations.

The kids were good today. I had to give one girl a warning for ducking by an elevator when walking to library. She apparently struggles with transitions. I have one kid with ADHD who is really impulsive. Hopefully he will do ok. He did really well today because I talked to him about calling out yesterday. Raised his hand every time and even said that respect means not calling out. :)

My inclusion class has three kids with emotional impairments. They’re ok so far but we’ll have to see how it goes...I might not have much support for them...

But overall it was a good first week!! I do feel like I am teaching kindergarten sometimes but the kids are following directions. I made a big deal about chairs being pushed in and they all were haha.

I love teaching 6th grade in an elementary school because we have structures in place like lining up, etc. I dismiss the kids by table (instead of them all rushing out with the bell) and it is SO NICE!!

I know I’m in the honeymoon period and the behavior will get worse...so I hope I am prepared to respond appropriately. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    bella84, Tired Teacher and MrsC like this.
  9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 30, 2019

Well, my second year, they were silent as the grave for the first day. The rest of the year was a battle to keep them completely quiet. Let's see what Monday brings!

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2019

That is great to have a nice 1st week. I did too this yr. I know....we are still in the honeymoon phase though....lol Still we have to be happy for what we have now. :)

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2019

Yeah definitely! I know the behavior will get worse. But I am glad that my first two days were so much better than last year.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2019

I try to take it day by day. I try not to even worry about tomorrow. So many people I know have died over the last year that it makes me remember none of us are promised tomorrow. It helps me to stay focused more on the moment at hand and how unimportant some things are in the scheme of things. I feel less stressed that way. :)

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 31, 2019

That's good to hear. I didn't realize you were in an elementary school this year, but that makes sense given your small group classes. Is sixth grade the oldest grade in the building or do you go up to eighth grade? How were your small group classes with the younger students, or have those not started yet?

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2019

It is actually a K-8 School but the structure are really similar to an elementary school. All of the schools in this district are K-8 schools and there is actually no middle school. I only take attendance once for my homeroom (not for every class), we walk the kids to specials, etc. My small group interventions start the week after next week. It is great having the extra time to prep. I also will only have my intervention groups 4 days a week and I'll have all Wednesday afternoon off to prep! I think the interventions will be a lot of prep but I was told that you reuse games, etc. and we do have a curriculum. So I am going to definitely prep a week ahead for all of my intervention groups and maybe use the time I have on Wednesday to copy + prep my intervention groups for the following week.

bella84 likes this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2019

Day 3 was great! Some behaviors again starting to pop up but they were pretty easy to manage. Had to move seats for two kids and my team teacher had to do the same thing. Things got a bit chaotic during a team building activity that the kids had fun with but they calmed down quickly as soon as I asked.

We are starting curriculum tomorrow!! I'm a little nervous with this new curriculum because there is very little direct instruction. Wish me luck!

So far, I am happier here than I was in my previous school. I like the calm of having less than 30 students in my classroom and I've been happy to go to work...so far. :) It is definitely partly because I have some teaching experience but I was very stressed the first few days at my old school and struggling with behavior.

I am also happy that I am able to start to teach the way I want to and have conversations with the kids about respect, collaboration, etc. and use that in my lessons. Last year, I felt like I didn't build culture in my first few days (because I was so focused on getting them to stop talking haha) and I am trying my best to build a positive culture here even by talking about simple procedures like sharpening pencils & when that is respectful, etc. I was rereading my thread about my classroom management struggles the first few days of school last year and I'm so happy that the first few days have been better this year.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    MrsC likes this.
  16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2019

My first week has gone pretty well! Just one more day to go.

Today was a bit crazy because there was apparently a bad smell in the hallway. The principal chose to make like 3 announcements about it (??) so the kids got a little riled up about it but were fine overall.

I am LOVING the math curriculum so far. We got to use tangrams today and the kids liked using the manipulatives. I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow but my coach will be in for both of the lessons and she'll be working + checking in with groups as well. I also love how we have workbooks for the kids so I have them put it inside their desks and take it out every day. I print exit tickets weekly so I am not going to to copier much at all. I have been taking the teacher book home every night and making lesson notes but I think I'll try to learn the whole week's lessons on Saturday or Sunday so I don't have to take the book home. My coach said she will be doing a coaching cycle with me until October (and she's been in every other day) and it's so nice to have the extra support. There are a few minor challenges but overall it has been a good first week.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    MrsC likes this.
  17. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 5, 2019

So happy your school provides a coach for you! Every rookie should have this!

bella84 likes this.
  18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2019

It is amazing! I have a coach for my 6th grade math classes and another coach working with me on intervention. She looks over my ppt slides and sends me an email with feedback after she observes every day. She always has 6-7 positive things and 1-2 suggestions that are very easy to implement.

Linguist92021 and Tired Teacher like this.
  19. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2019

Wow! You are very fortunate to have such an awesome coach. When I first started teaching, they did not call them coaches, but teacher leaders. I had an excellent one too. I loved her! She was really helpful and I learned so much from her.
    Fast forward to many yrs later and teacher coaches up here became a royal pain. Most did not even have much experience teaching, were used as middle management, and made a lot more work for teachers. Fortunately, the district lost the $ for them.
    I am so happy for you that things are still going good for you. I sometimes have to pinch myself this yr because my class is so easy ( even though I do have several autistic kids) compared to last yr's bunch. So far, they all seem sweet and very eager to make me happy! :) I have not had a year like this 1 in so long, I can't remember...lol I have had a few real bright classes, but not as sweet as this 1.

bella84 likes this.
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2019

My coach is so great. She observed me today and managed to check off all of the exit tickets and made a data chart for me that was all filled in so I know which students are not understanding what. She also sent me an email with 8 positive things and two suggestions that are again easy to implement (give directions for what the kids should do after they finish an activity since groups are finishing at different times before releasing them) but will make a difference overall. :)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 11, 2019

That's a very positive and constructive way to help someone. So many people just focus on the negatives while trying to be helpful.

22. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2019

Week 3 has been great so far! I’m enjoying the curriculum and the kids are sweet. The curriculum is very exploratory so there’s lots of student voice, etc. and some pretty fun activities. There is a lot of consistency with the routines which is nice. I love that I barely have to make any materials too so I can feel my teaching improving. I’m using a lot of talk moves, etc. A few behavioral issues starting to pop up but it’s been easy to manage. :)

The behavior is a complete 180 from last year. I was always anxious last year with so many kids and at many points not even being able to get my kids to be quiet. Today during snack I gave the kids a challenge to find my smartboard pen since I lost it and like 10 kids were out of their seats. They looked for a few mins and went back to their seats as soon as I asked lol. I had one student who was difficult today and upset that I moved her seat. We had a good conversation after school and made a plan for tomorrow. It is really nice going to work and not dealing with constant behavior problems like throwing things around the classroom and yelling and talking.

I started my intervention groups and they’re going great. I do have to plan and stay really organized. But I have an intervention curriculum and we do the same skill games most days so there’s lots of repetition. It is also amazing to work with just 3-5 kids and the kids really like coming since they get a ton of attention. I am getting used to managing 2nd graders but they are super cute and they love coming to math intervention.

23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

You are very lucky! :) They were positive people where I first worked too. I am not sure what happened, but up here, they were not helpful. They actually tried to pile more work on you and push their agenda. Also, they were tattletales....lol :).