Domain or survey science courses?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by glen, Mar 22, 2008.

1. glen

glen Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I teach in a very small private school. We have only one class per grade. Currently, my 7th graders take physical science and 8th takes life science. I'd like to reverse the courses. There's a lot of math/formula work in physical science that the 7th grade doesn't have the skill to complete. My question is, what are other public schools doing? My son (public school) is taking life science in 7th grade. This is his school's first year adopting domain based courses and, after much research, decided it was best to do physical science in 8th. I'm also concerned for any of my students that may leave for 8th grade. Is it most likely that they will end up taking the same course again?

What are your schools teaching in 7th and 8th grade science?

3. Charger

Charger Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I teach 6,7,and 8th grade science. I teach a mixture of life, physical,and earth science, according to what is in the Indiana standards.

4. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Around here, the sequence is earth science in 6th, life science in 7th, and physical science in 8th.

~Briana~

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2008

My school does earth in 6th, life in 7th, and physical in 8th also. I'm not sure I could pass the 8th grade science around here; it is stuff I did in high school back in the 80s.

6. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 26, 2008

I teach "general" science. In 7th and 8th grade, we cover earth, life, and physical science. Lay the foundation is 7th, build on it in 8th. I have often thought of suggesting earth in 6th (they are in the elementary buildings), life in 7th, and physical in 8th...but I like integrating it all together. We do tend to put an emphasis on physical science in 8th grade because they do have the required math skills.

7. MrL

MrL Companion

May 27, 2008

My 7th classes are survey comprehensive science. This year we run the gamut from water to forces, evolution to astronomy.

8. DocHistory11

DocHistory11 Rookie

May 27, 2008

I believe New York does:
    6th - Earth
    7th - Life
    8th - Physical or Earth/Living Env. Accelerated
    9th - Earth/Living Env.
    10th - Earth/Living Env. or Chem.
    11th - Chem./Physics
    12th - Elective/Physics