Dollar Tree incident

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Lindsnh, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2011

I was in Dollar Tree yesterday with another a friend who is also a teacher. There was a woman who was pretty much wiping out the teacher and classroom section. I mean she was buying everything! My friend asked her if it was her first year teaching b/c she was buying so much. She said "No I don't teach I buy this stuff and sell it at the flea market for double what I pay" as she laughed. It made us very mad! My state as well as most of yours have not received raises in years and we also do not get our supply checks this year. So, I have to shop as cheap as possible. I was going the the dollar tree just to get a new alphabet for my room, name plates, and teacher post cards to send to my new kids. She took all of that type of stuff. My friend asked if she could be so kind to let us have those items, and she said no. We only have one Dollar Tree that is in my town, so I hope they are able to restock soon. I know the woman has every right to do what she did. It just irritated me a bit! :mad:

It brought we back to when I worked at Victoria's Secret in college. We would have a sale on the bath products during Mother's Day, Christmas ect. This group of about 10 would come in and wipe us out. The really liked to buy the stuff that was seasonal too. They would then wait until our sale went off and sell the product for full price at the flea market. If it was seasonal they would make the price higher since it was hard to find.

3. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 9, 2011

Wowsers, that is horrible! Just because she has the right, it doesn't mean she should do it! How ridiculous of her and I'm sorry that happened to you and your friend. Did you ask the store when they would get restocked with the stuff?

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

I don't understand how that would even work. I wonder if the people at the flea market she sells to know that it comes from dollartree. I'm sure all of her potential teacher customers know that.
    How rude!

5. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2011

no..our dollar tree is clueless most of the time, so we did not bother to ask. We will check again next week, hopefully we can beat her to it:p

6. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2011

I know! I am not sure if she sells at a flea market in another town where there is no Dollar Tree or what. As teachers we know what the products look like, and I would not pay $2.00 or $3.00 for something that was only a dollar.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

That is irritating, but xhe does have a right to do that. It's a shame she couldn't be considerate enough to let you and your friend get a few items too, but some folks are like that.

The best thing to do is ask the clerk what day they get new stock and when will the shelves be restocked, then get there early before Flea Market Fanny has a chance to take everything.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

Unfortunately it happens all the time. People list the Target pocket charts and book bins, etc. for double what they paid on Ebay all the time.

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

It's really a shame that they do that. I've asked managers before at the Dollar Tree if they had more stuff in their warehouse when I don't see it on the shelves. I know sometimes they don't put everything out as soon as they run out of stuff. One time the manager told me the date and time their truck was arriving and an approximate time when they would be putting the merchandise on the shelves. I'm probably sure people who buy large quantities for resale may be aware of the schedule also. I would ask just in case so that way you know and you can beat her to it.

Another thing, Dollar Tree has a website where you can order in bulk items that you need. Here's the link for their teachers' corner. I know you would be paying for shipping but you could still get good deals.

http://www.dollartree.com/teachers-supplies/208/index.cat

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2011

I have seen some Dollar Tree stuff at our Teacher's Convention here in Canada. They were charging $4 and up for the items.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

Talk to the MGR of your Dollar Tree...you can place an order and have it delivered to the store. You can also order from Dollar Tree online, but online tends to be 'bulk'.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2011

I went to Walmart once when they were having their big back-to-school sales and the shelves were wiped out. I couldn't believe it when I saw 3 women with shopping cart after shopping cart stacked with glue etc. They were nuns and they were buying it for all the children at the Catholic school they ran. I wanted to be mad I couldn't get my stuff but.....

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I would find out where her flea market is, and go and tell prospective customers that they can get it for cheaper at the Dollar Tree! You might even be enough of a nuisance to her that she would pay you off with some free stuff to leave her booth!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

Or buy it bulk from the site and sell it for a $1 across from her booth! No money made, but justice would be served. ;)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 9, 2011

LOL I was thinking the same thing!

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

Capitalism at work!

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 9, 2011

The Dollar Tree in another town would add stuff to the store order for us. We just had to talk to the manager.

They have blocked some people from my local FreeCycle because they were jumping on EVERY offering and the selling the stuff at the flea market. They never offered anything, just took stuff.

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 9, 2011

It may be her right but you have the right to tell the manager what she is all about. He/she could ban her from the store or have a limit. I think the store needs to know about this.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2011

Just a thought...there are members who don't like limits imposed by Staples when they have school supplies on sale yet there is upset over another teacher/ person buying up sale items...where does everyone stand on this? :eek:

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 9, 2011

lol true. glad I'm not one of them who complains about limits.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2011

czacza, I believe the difference here is that the person isn't purchasing them for her class but to sell to other teachers for a profit. I'm not someone who has complained about limits at Staples and other places before (other than perhaps an "aw shucks!"), but I do believe this is in another category. Not necessarily wrong, but different.

I wish the lady had been kind enough to give some of the stock to the original poster to buy.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2011

But she isn't a teacher - she is a person trying to make money off teachers. And Staples does raise their limits for teachers but it is still 25. And you can just get back in line or bring a friend and get more. I like the limits because I hate when I get to Staples or where ever and they don't have what they advertised.

Dollar Tree stuff has the dollar tree symbol on it - good luck selling it at a flea market for more. I can't see anyone paying more than $1 for it.

23. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

Silverspoon I can't see anyone paying more than $1 either. Unless she is making a package deal like pencils, glue, and a composition notebook for 2.50 instead of 3.00. Who knows. lol

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 9, 2011

Wait. Scratch what I just said. That wouldn't make her any money. She would be losing.
    Oh brother, I need to eat something.

25. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

Czacza--if she were buying it all to donate to a school, then I would be completely ok with that. But she is buying it to resell it--and for double the price.

When I buy it for my class, it's a donation to those students. I don't ask them to pay.

It's annoying because we already don't make squat and this lady is trying to profit off us. I know it's capitalism but geez.

26. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

Sadly, she's allowed to do this. My mom works at a nice second hand store and sometimes goes to an antique fair on the weekend and sees people selling vases and lamps from her store (bought for $20) for triple the price. She calls them out on it, but doesn't get angry or anything.
    It is very frustrating to here this, though. I like buying teacher stuff at Dollar Tree.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I guess times really are tough these days that people have to resell items to make a buck, but this kind of thing probably happens a lot more often than we think. It was just bad timing that the OP happened to come into the store at the same time as this lady. If she came in minutes later, she would have just seen the shelves wiped out & that would have been it. If she had come it a minutes earlier, she would have had what she wanted & been satisfied.

I agree that the lady could have been nice & gave the OP what she wanted since she grabbed practically everything else anyway.

Sounds good if you you have time!

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

Obviously her customers aren't atoz people, or they would know better.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the opposite view of so many here.

She got there first. She has the money to pay for her purchases. She's entitled to them, unless there's a posted store policy with a limit on purchases.

If her buyers are dumb enough to $3 for something that retails for $1, good for her. They should know better.

Dollar Tree is in buisness to sell stuff. She got there first and bought what she wanted to buy. It stinks to get there after she does, but I don't see that anyone did anything wrong.

30. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

:thumb:

Exactly!

31. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

Agreed. Our student council wouldn't survive if we didn't have our Dollar Tree. We buy those head boppers and other things to sell to fundraise and sell them for more.

The people paying extra money are the suckers, especially when most of the time the people selling them are leaving the dollar tree tag on (saw this on eBay).

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

I agree that she didn't do anything wrong. It's like those people on the coupon shows. As long as there aren't store policies, they can buy 100 bottles of stool softener all they want.

It's still annoying though, especially when there are teachers right there.

33. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I get that the lady had every right to buy the items to sell at the flea market, but it still seems rude to grab everything when someone else is standing there, wanting to buy a few items. How about a little common courtesy?

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Alice, I certainly agree she is within her rights and think most people feel the same.

I just think it would be simply nicer of her to order in bulk from Dollar Tree. Heck, and easier for her as well! If that doesn't float her boat for whatever reason, give the lady one of the fifty borders you have in your cart. I just can't imagine saying "No soup for you!"

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

that is thr same reaction i have when i watch extreme couponing!

36. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

I was just thinking of this thread when I was shopping at Target. The dollar section was 75% off, so I grabbed a ton of cute little items for incentives for trainings. I didn't take everything but I did buy all the pencils that were left.
    As for the original topic, the greedy buyer was fully within her rights, but it's still tacky.

37. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 10, 2011

:toofunny: