Dollar General Baskets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachnRox, Jul 7, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I am looking for baskets for my library. I bought a couple but found they were too small for those big hard back books. I found some at dollar general for 1.25, they are mesh and have seen them in white, blue, green, and purple. I did a google images search to see if I could find a picture, there is one on this site: http://www.mandygregory.com/classroom_library1.htm If you scroll down and find the pictures, the second one with just one shelf in it, has the containers. The first shelf of three containers, has the dollar general containers.

Does anyone use these? Any pros or cons?? :help:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

Do you mean the white and tan ones? I have the same ones, though I didn't get them at Dollar General. Maybe CVS. They are very good.

4. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 7, 2008

bins

Yep, those are the ones! :)

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I have the same ones (from Dollar General). They didn't break this year (which shocked me, I usually have to replace a bunch).

Overall, I do like them :)

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

If you're really careful with your baskets they shouldn't tear as easily and should last a few years. I've seen those at the Dollar Tree.

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Similar baskets are sold at Target and Walmart but they are white only and much stonger. They're made by Sterlite. Big Lots has them also for a great price. They come in 3 sizes. :D

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

I'm glad I found this. Are the discount and department store baskets just a good as the center baskets in the educational mail orders ie: really good stuff and Carson Derosa

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

YES! I do have a set of RGS baskets, b/c I need one of each primary color of a certain size for leveled readers. I don't think they are any more sturdy than my Sterlite baskets from Wal Mart and Big Lots! I would have probably got them from the Dollar Tree if I had more time to go looking at various ones, b/c not all Dollar Trees are created equal! :) The only good thing about RGS baskets is that they keep the styles/types of baskets for awhile, so if you need more a few years down the road, they'll have them.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 9, 2008

Thank you buck8teacher. I agree not all Dollar Trees are created equal, the same is true for Big Lots here. Walmart and Smiths have the same problem. I live in a poverty to lower/middle-middle class area, stores here are kept dirty, and manytimes discount stores sell broken and defective materials. I drive nearly an half hour to hour out of the way just to go somewhere where people atleast seem to care. It is so sad. (and it is murder gas wise right now)