Doing your own specials

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by becky, Sep 6, 2005.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2005

On the thread about art some of you said you have to do your own specials- art, music, p.e.
    I just pulled my daughter out of Kindermusik after 3 years, so I need some ideas for K music.

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 7, 2005

Some ideas I have tried that my kids seemed to like:
    Finding and keeping the beat to music with different parts of your body
    Making your own rhythms
    Making instruments and playing them to music
    Dancing to music (comparing fast music to slow music)
    Listening to classical music and painting a picture of what you see in your head
    And, of course, singing lots of songs

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 7, 2005

It's also fun to get recordings of music from different cultures and listen to them and learn about the different instruments, etc... I kept the tapes I made from my World Music: Asis course in college to use in my classroom... it's something different and fun. ;)

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2005

I mentioned somewhere on here that I think using Peter and The Wolf is great. Great for imagination, and to teach kids about different instruments.........great imagery using different characters for the instruments. That theme song is going through my head and I can't get it out...........ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2005

I think I'll google 'kindergarten music curriculum and see what comes up.
    There's a site called gardenofpraise.com that has music lessons. There's also musiclopedia.com and they have many links to music related topics.

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2005

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2005

OOOhhh!!
    This site has monthly music lessons for up to 5th grade!!!!!

9. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Sep 9, 2005

The "Wee Sing" books have lots of great traditional songs & fingerplays for that age. I also like the Raffi Cds & Videos. Do lots of songs that involve parts of the body "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes", the alphabet, & numbers. With my Kdg classes I work a lot on those kinds of songs with them, plus keeping a beat, chanting together, & using light singing voices (instead of shouting!) If you need any specifics let me know. I can look through my catalogs & recommend some good book/cd sets.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 9, 2005

Becky if you have the money start her on a musical instrument! The kids at the school I worked at last year all learned the violin in kindergarten! The student had to play until they completed third grade then it's an option after that. It is a really great program and the students really do learn to play!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2005

JaimeMarie, I thought about the recorder. She actually wants to play the piano, but we don't have the room or $$$$ for one. I'll call around and see what's out there.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 10, 2005

Did you know just because you homeschool doesn't mean you can't send your daughter to school for music, gym, art.
    If you don't like the school system I can understand not wanting to send her. But it's a thought. Also, have you looked into networking with other parents homeschooling their children? Maybe one of those parents is good at music and another at something else. You could all trade off teaching something.
    Just a thought! Don't think you have to educate your daughter all by yourself.
    My friend's parent thought that for a while then started meeting other homeschooler's parents. They set up a great network. These are just thoughts. I think you are doing a wonderful job on your own.

13. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

I would love to tap into your music and especially movement activities --I am a first year Kindergarten teacher and am looking to build a mental tool kit of 5- 10 minute movement activities--if anyone is willing to share--THANKS!

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2005

Well, Jaime, here you can't join things in the p.s. if you h.s. I didn't bother with a support group because I only expect to h.s. this year. Next year is up to Jeannie.
    I think I have her in plenty of classes. I do this to make sure she learns to obey a teacher, cooperate with other kids, and for socialization.
    She's in gym, cooking class, swimming, soccer, and children's church. Just today I saw a flyer about a month long , once a week science workshop I will likely put her in. She can even go early and eat lunch there with the other kids!
    Yeesh! I wear myself out with this stuff!!! LOL. She has a more active social life than her mother does!

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 11, 2005

Becky,
    You are an awesome mother and teacher! You sure you don't want to go get your teaching degree? That is stupid about your public schools. You pay taxes you should be able to put your daughter in what ever you want!

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2005

You might not know of the problems my son had in our school system. He had ADHD. Need I say more??
    I wouldn't want Jeanne in there, and the funny thing is they are right next door! No, they couldn't pay me enough to expose her to those 'teachers' in that building.
    I've posted some of the abuse my son-and I- tolerated. You'd fall over at some of the blatant behavior we had to put up with.
    So, even when Jeanne does enter school it won't be over there.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 11, 2005

I must not have been around the boards yet. Sorry to hear about the "crap" your son had in the school system.