Doing simple research with 2nd-graders?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Nov 29, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 29, 2011

I saw a fun idea in a resource book that I am interested in trying out with my class. After read the book The Mitten, students draw a scene, and choose an animal to draw in the scene. Then, they cover the animal with a mitten by gluing just the top of it to the paper. The student writes 3 clues about the anmal, the reader guesses the animal, and lifts up the mitten, revealing the animal.

Of course, this would require my students to do some research, which they have not done before. At the end of the year they have to write a research paper, so I thought this would be a good intro to research.

My question is, what would be the best way to do this? Should I check out some easy-reader books from the library for them to read? Print out information from the internet for them to read? Take them to the library to use a kid-friendly search engine (is there one?)? I don't want this to take a really long time...I would like to start (and finish) sometime next week, if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 29, 2011

I would get the easy readers. When I have had young kids do "research" I do let them copy some of the information. Very easy readers are not complicated enough to take notes from and the kids have a hard time trying to rewrite in their own words. I mean, if the book says, "Hens lay eggs" they have a hard time thinking about how else to say that.

I have th write the author and title of the book they use, and tell them they can't use information from an author without showing where the ideas came from.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2011

I would have them write down what they want to find out before beginning...maybe a list of 5 questions. This way if they can't find one, it's okay.

Then have the students use easy readers to answer 3 questions.

You really could have students choose animals that they already know about...

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2011

We do three research projects -
    A very guided one
    One in pairs
    One independently

Even the more independent ones have somewhat guided notetaking books - I put in the headings and a few guiding questions on what they need to be looking for.

For internet research, I put a list of good links on my website, so they are working off of those instead of off in google-land.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 30, 2011

That is an awesome idea!

Is there any way to limit the children's choices of which animal is in their mitten? That way you could have children work in small groups and you could help more students at once.

I would keep it very basic... this sounds like one of those projects that is great, but after 3 weeks you wonder why you chose it. December is short - keep the research basic.

7. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

I would make some type of organizer, maybe a 4 square, for them to take notes in. We used to research sea creatures, towards the end of 2nd grade. Keep it simple- food, shelter/protection, body, and interesting fact.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I think I will have a list for them to choose from (maybe just the animals in the book), and I really like the 4 square organizer idea.

Do you think I should get into citing sources, too?

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2011

My class is doing a research project this week that the second grade at my school has done for years. They get a list of questions on a study guide. They then take notes onto the study guide. Then the children in class rewrite it into a rough draft. The children then take home the rough draft after editing it and rewrite it to the final draft. It has nine questions or ideas to research. It is the first time I have done a large report in years because of being in first for several years. My class has been doing the rough drafts and finishing notes for three days. There are 5 finished rough drafts out of my class. I am getting cited sources for the second graders.