Doing other people's jobs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Mar 2, 2019.

1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 2, 2019

Do you ever find yourself doing other people's jobs and it getting to a point where you're "expected" to do it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2019

Can you be more specific?

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 2, 2019

Yes, I use the self-checkout at least once per week.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2019

:rofl::rofl: I love self check out!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 2, 2019

I have done so in the past.

As I’ve gotten older, I have learned that it is not my job to save other perfectly capable adults from the consequences of their own actions.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2019

When I was younger, in the beginning of my career, I was still under the false impression that no teacher was indispensable. So, I found myself working countless hours, even doing other people's jobs, to prove I was that indispensable teacher. I learned, pretty quickly, to not be taken advantage of by less caring teachers and admins.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 4, 2019

When I want something done right I just do it myself!

9. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Oct 27, 2019

I'm sure I'm not alone in getting tired of giving free services away when outside companies actually get paid for the same things. Like, you're always the "go-to" person for free labor.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 2, 2019

No one comes to me for free labor, but I have someone who comes and helps me all of the time with household things I do not know how to do and probably would be physically unable to do .
    I do not call him, but ever since I have been single, he keeps track of household things like the heater, water softener, filtrating systems, and heavy items like salt bags, tires, paint, and oil changes that I need.
    He never will accept $ for his work. ( He does let me pay for the salt, oil, and filters.) I will forever be thankful that this person came into my life.
    I used to help people all I could over the yrs w/ things I could do. I still help with things I know how to do and can do, but it is not "labor" so much as cooking, airport pick ups, and helping w/ fundraisers of various types.
    What goes around, often comes around. Be thankful if you can help someone. It will come back to you later in life. However, if the people who are asking you to do things are not very thankful and you feel like they are using you, you might reassess who to help. I never have "expected him " to do it and am very thankful. I'd do whatever I could for him too.