Doing a paper, anyone willing to help O:)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by gryffindork, Oct 26, 2006.

1. gryffindork

gryffindork New Member

Oct 26, 2006

I am currently a senior in high school, and I am doing an essay on teaching (as I am hoping to become a teacher myself:angel: ). I am focusing on why to become a teacher and some of the highs and lows of teaching. This activity is for my benefit as well as for the class. I am looking forward to how people will respond and hope that I will get numerous responses.

So if you please could take some time from your very busy schedules to answer some or all of the questions below I would really appreciate it, like tons :D

please reply with your responses and any other helpful information

any response I can get will be very helpful, and as usual the more detailed and more people the better

:thanks: in advance

----------------------

How long have you been teaching?

Where and what are you teaching?

What made you choose teaching as a profession in the first place?
    Was it a hard decision?

What do you think is the most rewarding part of teaching?

What have been some of the struggles you have faced while teaching?

Who was your biggest role model when you began teaching and why?

What have been some bumps in the road that have not been expected concerning teaching?

I’ve heard that some things just cannot be taught in a classroom about teaching; like for instance planning for interruptions, and such, what have been some of these incidences?

What has been the hardest thing about teaching?
    The easiest?

Would you ever give teaching up, if you could go back and change it would you?

If you were to compare teaching to a concrete object what would it be and why?

3. ppax

ppax Rookie

Oct 26, 2006

A french impressionist painting. The students are their own color and add there own individual contribution to the class. Together an artisitic masterpiece develops!

4. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Oct 27, 2006

How long have you been teaching? This is my 5th year.

Where and what are you teaching? I teach first grade in Post Falls, Idaho.

What made you choose teaching as a profession in the first place?
    Was it a hard decision? It was an easy decision. I just love kids!

What do you think is the most rewarding part of teaching?
    seeing kids progress in their learning, providing a save haven for kids

What have been some of the struggles you have faced while teaching? hard to please parents, little time to plan efficiently without using my own time

Who was your biggest role model when you began teaching and why?
    I had a great cooperating teachr work with me during my student teacher. She modeled for me each day what a good teacher really is. Her kids loved her and learned so much from her.

What have been some bumps in the road that have not been expected concerning teaching? dealing with children in abusive situations (so tough)

I’ve heard that some things just cannot be taught in a classroom about teaching; like for instance planning for interruptions, and such, what have been some of these incidences? things not even related to actual teaching like planning parties, dealing with parent phone calls, surprise last minute assemblies, fire and lockdown drills, paperwork such as book orders and emergency forms, I could go on and on.

What has been the hardest thing about teaching? planning to meet the wide range of needs/skills
    The easiest? just having fun with the kids, I just love them

Would you ever give teaching up, if you could go back and change it would you? No. I love what I do.

If you were to compare teaching to a concrete object what would it be and why? Hmmmmm. I have no idea on that one. ;)

5. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Oct 28, 2006

i don't know if it will help or not but I would like to answer one of the questions

I am still in college about three semesters away from student teaching. but I decided that teaching was for me because it was the one profession that I kept kinda of comming back to . I had never really given it that much thought because every one talks about how little teachers make then one day I realized that my whole life I had be unconsiously considering teaching. and when I had my daughter andI seen that look in her eyes when she learned something new, i realized that I wanted to see that everyday. and that it is about so much more than how much we make but it is about how much of a difference we make. I think a lot of these teachers will agree that the little daily rewards make it all worth it to know you helped a child to gain that spark of knowledge.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 28, 2006

Since I am deaf, I go went through a state rehabiliation commission to get help with services and tuition for college. I kept in touch with my counselor there over the years even after I got my AA degree. He always asked me if I ever plan to go back to college. Then he would ask me what I would "like to do" if I did. I always said "I'm not sure what I want to do. I have too many interests." Then we would talk about that. I moved around a lot (hubbie was in military). After 6 years he finally said "There has only been one job you have mentioned every time you call. One job that has stayed the same." I couldn't think of what it was since most of these calls were 1-2 times a year. I didn't think there was any pattern at all. Anything I've mentioned more than once. Lo behold, he said that job was a teacher. I still spit out my standard "I don't know because..blah...blah..blah...(insecurities)", then coupled with that and some "deaf/advocacy" experiences I've had he said since we are finally in the same town again, would you mind if I set you up to observe a deaf teacher for just one day before you say "no." The rest is history.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Oct 28, 2006

How long/where/what: I'm in my second year of teaching Kindergarten in a K-8 school in Central California.

I left a 13-year federal career, went back to school, went into $30,000 debt to follow my dream. I haven't looked back! Even the "worst" day in a classroom is better than the best day in any other job I've ever had. And I've had plenty. I'm 50 years old.

Most rewarding thing? Watching a 4- or 5-year-old start school knowing only a few letters of the alphabet and then leaving at the end of the year writing two to three sentences at a time and reading first grade level books! I WAS A PART OF THAT!! And it's a lifetime skill....it is SO rewarding to have that much positive influence.

Obstacles?
    It's never the students or even their inabilities--they can be taught! It has often been parents who do not have any idea of how to support their kids (even when we make suggestions) or almost worse, those parents who push their kids so much that they send them over the edge and drive the teacher nuts in the process.

Things that aren't especially "taught" about teaching:
    extracurricular demands (assemblies, jog-a-thons, sports teams, "specials," etc.) that are ALL GOOD, but that all take time away from those instructional minutes which are too few in the first place! The content standards we are held to are sometimes very unrealistic in light of the "everyday" life activities on a school campus.

Concrete object? A tree. Someone has said, "Education is like a tree. The higher you climb, the further you see." I love that quote, and know it to be true in my life. I am much more open-minded, tolerant, and patient than I ever used to be, having been trained to teach.