Dogs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by alielizadubois, Oct 9, 2006.

1. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 9, 2006

Hi Guys!
    I am a dog LOVER, and was wondering if any of you have dogs! Here are some pictures of my boy. His name is Tyson. He is a year old American Pit Bull Terrier, and he is the love of my life! (next to my boyfriend, of course...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Oct 9, 2006

I have always had dogs. Right now I have a Golden Retriver, his name is Hunter. He is eight and he is so much a part of our family.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2006

I really, really love dogs! I've not had many in my life, though. A spaniel mix mutt, Tramp, adopted us when I was in first grade, but we didn't keep him long because he was snippy around me so they gave him to one of Dad's friends at work. When I was first teaching I bought a mutt puppy I named Simmons, but he had parvo and died within a week. :(

The following year I adopted Gene, a shepherd mix, from the Humane Society. He was big, but still in the puppy stage--maybe close to a year old. I adopted him in 1995. He still lives with my parents because they have a fenced yard. They love him to death, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our neighborhood is full of dogs, and I know them all by name, and I think they all know me as the "treat lady". One day when I pulled into the driveway, I had four dogs there to greet me. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the neighbors never did take very good care of their dog, and when they moved, the LEFT HIM BEHIND. He's a nomadic soul, so he wanders far and wide, but whenever he's around he stays at our house. I feed him, give him medicine, and give him lots of ear scratches. He's some sort of hound, pit bull, rottie mix named Tiny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 10, 2006

So cute guys!! I have a dog....He's my spolied puppy/poney. :) He's 7 months old and a Rott/Hound mix. He has his mommy's coloration and size (Rott) and his daddy's bark/howl (Hound). At 5 months old he was 40 lbs...He's now about an inch shorter than his mommy and just as long! I'm willing to bet that he's 50-55 lbs now! That's why he's my poney ;) I'll try and get pics up later.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 10, 2006

He sounds beautiful!!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2006

I love all the dog pictures! I am dog sitting our son's dog for a week. She is a "Holstein" hound! He told me if she gets on the bed and stands and stares at me, she wants under the covers. Guess what...last night she stood on the bed and stared at me. I lifted the covers and she dove under and that was the end of her for the whole night!!!!!!!!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 10, 2006

The dogs are all gorgous!! Tyson is beautiful, I love his coloration and his eyes are full of mischeif! Imateacher, Gene looks just like my little niece's dog, but Bear's legs are about 6 inches high! He looks just like a shepard though. I love the neighborhood dogs too, especially the puppy. I've thoroughly spoiled my neighbor's dog (and cat!). I don't have a dog right now, but really want to get one, but not without a fenced in yard.

9. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

I ABSOLUTELY love dogs... I never had "real" pets (had a goldfish when I was little) until I bought my own place. Two years ago, I bought a Maltese. He is the love of my life. I never knew how much I could love an animal until I got Joey. He brightens up my day, and has the best personality. He thinks he's a Lab or some sort of big dog, because he grew up with a black Lab. So, he's pretty daring! I'd love to post pics of him, but I'm not sure how...

10. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 10, 2006

I have three senior Keeshonden (long-haired, medium-sized Spitz dogs from Holland) and prior tot his breed my family owned German Shepherd Dogs. I miss GSDs terribly and will be acquiring another GSD from the last breeder we bought from once my Keeshonden have passed on to the great rainbow bridge.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 11, 2006

FYI- Tyson, is a pit bull?
    Wow, be careful because they have a terrible reputation where i live. Pit bulls are illegal to own in Dade county florida. SO, the owners all move to the next county called Broward County where the abundance of these pit bulls is frightening.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

I still don't know how to post photos. I wish I did so I could post some very cute cat pictures!!! Oh, and the dog I am watching this week!!! My house is in chaos!

13. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 11, 2006

Yes, Tyson is an American Pit Bull Terrier. I am well aware of their bad reputation, but I must say, as an active advocate for these dogs, that their reputation is only based on the view of them that the media portrays. It is true that there are bad, irresponsible owners out there who do not raise their dogs right, mistreat them, encourage aggressive behavior, shun them to the backyard with no human socialization, but that is not the norm. There are many many responsible owners who have chosen this breed for their undying love and loyalty, their playful nature, their *love* for humans, and their silly personalities. Tyson is the best dog that I have ever met, and love him with all of my heart.

Pit bulls were never bred for human aggression. Dog aggression, yes, and not every dog has this quality, but human aggression, never. As a matter of fact, in dog fighting days, any dog that showed human aggression was culled, because the master needs to be able to break up a fight without getting bitten. Therefore, any human aggression was bred out of the breed. Unfortunately, there are people today who are overbreeding dogs with unstable temperaments in an attempt to make money at the expense of the poor animals. Also, there are people who do not care properly for their animals, they lack socialization, they are mistreated, etc. This is the cause of the terrible stories you hear, not the dog, the owner.

Also, pit bulls are frequently misidentified. There are plenty of dogs who are classified as pits, who are not American Pit Bull Terriers. Take a look at this link: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

It saddens me when I hear of people who are fearful of pitbulls, because of what is happening to this breed. I wish that everyone could experience the love, devotion, and joy that I have experienced with my dog.

Bans are ineffective, and put hundreds of innocent dogs to death.

Im sorry to go on and on.... I am glad though, that I have been given the opportunity to educate about the joys of owning a pit bull!

14. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 11, 2006

You can go to an image hosting website, like picturetrail.com and upload your pictures to that site after creating a free account. You can then click on the tab that says "image URLs". It will produce an image tag that starts with [​IMG]. Copy and past that here, and your images will show up.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

We have two dogs. My son suffers from terrible allergies, and so do I. He also has asthma so our choice of dog is limited. We have a Bichon Frise (she is 8). They are wonderful dogs for people with allergies, as they are non-allergenic and don't shed. Our second dog which is also suppose to be non-allergenic, but I still can get an allergic reaction from, is an Italian Greyhound. He is 5 but has the energy of a puppy. A loyal friend and crazy little dog.

16. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2006

Alielizadubois...thank you for going on about pitties. I too am the proud owner of a pit and have never had a better dog! (Don't tell her...she thinks she's a human.) I will post a picture after work, when I have more time. She is the best tempered and well mannered dog I have ever had and I can't imagine my life without a big, goofy, entertaining pittie! I am thankful to anyone who takes the time to educate people about pit bulls. They are not bad...it's the owners/breeders that train them to be mean that people should worry about!
    Lisa

17. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Oct 11, 2006

Dogs

I love the pictures! I have an English Bulldog named (SO original) Georgia. She is just so great. Needless to say she is spoiled rotten. She sleeps (on top of the covers) with me every night. I sleep on my stomach and she sleeps in between my legs! If I am laying in bed on my back reading, she will worm her way around until she is (again) between my legs. It's just like giving birth to a 40 pound bundle of wrinkles!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

These dog stories are so cute. I think the Pit Bulls are just as cute as can be.
    alie...thank you so much for the info. on posting a picture. I'll give it a try when I have more time. THanks again. NO one has ever bothered to tell me on here. Sometimes I feel invisible!

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

Kinder,

You have an Italian Greyhound... My mom is dying to get one....

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

Yup........and he is quite the little stinker, too!:p
    Grammy mentioned about her son's dog sleeping under the covers, well our little guy does that.........and sleeps on my feet. Nice in the winter, but for a little dog, he takes up so much room!:( :rolleyes:

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

Grammy, you know I would have told you...............if I knew how to do it myself! hahahaha!;)

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

Grammy - you are certainly not invisible;) :D :love:

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

Ha! At least not you two goonie birds, I'm not invisible. It's just some of the newer ones...can't relate to them. Anyway, this dog I am watching is 100# or so! Put that under your covers! She is really very still all night!

24. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Oct 11, 2006

I wish mine were still! I have three labradors. They are 100 pounds, 65 pounds and 63 pounds. Usually just the chocolate one sleeps with me (65 pounds) - but she took over my entire pillow the other night and then she flips upside down! If the black one comes up it is all over...She starts in a nice, small ball - and when you least expect it, she spralls out everywhere. My boy is usually content on the floor, but if you aren't up when he wants to eat he will either sit in front of your face and breathe or climb up and lay on top of you. I think he thinks he's as small as the girls:)

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2006

These pics are beautiful.. what a cutie!

26. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2006

I have 2 golden retrievers. they are feeling totally left out right now. We just had a baby (3 weeks ago) and its hard on them. One still sleeps in our bed with us and the other sleeps under the bed. We love them very much though :)

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2006

Tiny, our adopted dog, is a pit bull mix. He's one of the sweetest dogs you'd ever want to meet. Now, he can be aggressive around other dogs, but he's "friends" with all the dogs in the neighborhood. One of my friends had a pit bull, and he was sweet, too. He was "fixed", so he wasn't aggressive at all.

28. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Oct 12, 2006

Yea! A thread to show off my new puppy! I loved looking at/reading about your dogs. This is Millie, my 4 month old Yorkie-poo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is her & our 9 year old Boxer/lab mix "Buddy". He was my husband's before we got married, and as much as I love him, it's been fun having my "own" little lap puppy!

[​IMG]

29. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2006

[​IMG]Here is one picture of my Jade! (Hope it works!) Sorry it is soooo big, I do not know how to resize it!

30. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Oct 13, 2006

Oh my god, TX, Jade is absolutely gorgeous! I wish NY was a lil closer to Texas, b/c Tyson would just love to play with her! She is incredible.

Her eyes are the same color as Tysons!

31. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 13, 2006

Jade is absolutely gorgeous, although I seem to see a spark somewhere that says "I can't belive my mom made me where this shirt for a picture!" :) She is such a beautiful color!

32. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Thanks...of course I think she is beautiful too! And yes, she hates wearing her clothes. You should see her at Christmas with her reindeer antlers on...she looks so pitiful! Alie...I wish New York was closer, too. It is my favorite city. I would love to relocate if I could talk my hubby into giving up the country lifestyle!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2006

I'm so much more a dog person than a cat person. I have a Boston Terrier & I did all the work searching for a Bichon Frise for my aunt, which I loved doing! I went to dog shows, talked to breeders & when I found one, I got a picture of the pup & let my aunt see it. She basically said yes & put down the $!

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2006

Jade has gorgeous eyes... what a sweetie.

35. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 22, 2006

Oh my gosh! How adorable they all are!!!!!:D I had dogs all my life but they were always my mother's hisbands' dogs and stayed outside. I have always been a cat person but recently my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting a small dog, since we live in an apartment and I have my 12 year old cat, Holly. He wants to get a Jack Russell Terrior. Does anyone have experience with them? Keep posting more dog pics...then I can show them to Bill and hopefully we will be able to get a dog sooner:p lol.