Dogs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by daisycakes, Mar 20, 2016.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 20, 2016

I have had two dogs in my life. I had an Australian Shepherd and he was a great dog for children. He didn't have a lot of health problems until one day, he got very sick. My parents took him in to the vet and they said he had blood cancer and a tumor had burst or something and they had to put him down. He was about 9.

We then got a miniature schnauzer from a very reputable and expensive breeder. She had tons of health issues, like arthritis, torn tendons, Cushing disease, acne, weird skin issues, etc. She got sick last week and, after numerous treatments, had to be put down as well on Friday morning. The vet thinks perhaps she had liver cancer. She was only about 10.

So I am wondering: are we just unlucky or is this the new normal for pets? Are there dogs that will actually live 15 years and die relatively normal and peaceful deaths? My cat also died a traumatic death way before his time after extreme measures were taken to save his life.

Obviously, I am heartbroken. I didnt live with her anymore because I am an adult, but I still loved her and had a strong bond from growing up with her. I'm wondering what kind of dog I should pick as an adult. I definitely think I do not want a purebred of any kind.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2016

I'm very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I have recently lost my own dog recently, a schnauzer/poodle mix who was thirteen and a half. It was and remains devastating for our family.

More and more I think that purebred dogs, even those that come from "reputable" breeders, tend to come with a lot of health problems. It seems that mutts tend to live longer, healthier lives, probably because the dominant genes in their systems have gotten rid of a lot of the health issues that you find in purebreds.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 21, 2016

Don't get dogs from breeders - purebreds tend to come with issues - mixes tend to be healthier

txmomteacher2 and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2016

We have had purebreed dogs and mixed breeds; one of each has died young and one of each has lived 14 years.
    While we are still grieving the dog we lost in September, we are beginning to think about a puppy in the near future.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 21, 2016

Hugs. I'm sorry for your loss.

My cocker spaniel mutt lived to be 14. My chow mutt lived to be 13. My parents had a mutt when I was born who lived to be 18 but he was a smaller dog. My lab mutt is six and he's getting a little white on his muzzle. I'll probably have to call in when he votes to the Rainbow Bridge because I'll be blubbering so.

The oldest kitties I have had were 23 and 21 when they died.

The only negative about having pets is the grief we go through when their lives end. I'll tear up when I pass an animal who was killed on a road. My mom and I hardly ever buy lotto tickets, but when we do, we dream of opening a pet rescue.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 21, 2016

My aunt's dog died a couple years ago at 16. She was a black lab mix. I do think mixes live longer.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2016

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can talk dogs all day! I had a few dogs as a young child, so I have no idea how old they lived to be. One ran away & 2 others I last had up to my being a pre-teen had to be taken to the shelter (parents' choice) when we moved.

I had a couple of cats in my high school into early/mid 20s.

Fast forward to age 30. I got my very first puppy on my own...a purebreed Boston Terrier from a breeder renown in the dog show world, etc. I registered him w/ the AKC. I spoiled him like mad, fed him top-notch quality food, he was my baby! He had no health issues really, just to the vet for routine shots. Maybe there were 1 or 2 minor issues in which I took him to the vet otherwise & I don't even remember what they were.

Unfortunately in the course of just 1 week, he went from being fine to my having to put him down. He was just a couple days before turning 8 yrs. The vet said it was a stroke & that he had an enlarged heart & liquid in his lungs. The avg lifespan of a BT is supposed to be about 12-15 yrs, so I don't know why mine didn't live longer. I belong to a Boston Terrier discussion board & there were a good amount of members whose BTs were 10+ yrs old.

It was after that that I heard (from a couple coworkers) that mixed breeds usually lived longer than purebreeds, which was opposite of what I had personally thought. If that's really true, so be it.

My aunt's purebreed Bichon Frise (from a breeder) lived longer than my dog by now. I'm guessing he's around 9 or 10 by now & still doing fine.

If you like a distinctive look of a certain breed, which I did & still do, then of course get a purebreed. I like dogs that look different that you don't see everyday. I won't hesitate to get another purebreed again. I'd like to get a French Bulldog one day.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2016

So sorry to hear about your dogs.

My childhood dog, a lab mix, lived until 14. My mom got a labradoodle down the road and my mom had to put the dog down at only 5 because of an aggressive cancer that spread to her lungs. My dog, a pointer mix [maybe], has had no problems. I've only taken her to the vet for a health problem twice in the five years we've had her- once she had a doggy flu and once she had an eye infection.

I think mutts are, for the most part, healthier and more robust. Though a purebred dog doesn't mean it will be unhealthy, but you really need to research the breeder to make sure they are doing the breeding properly.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 22, 2016

From what I have heard, it is because the gene pool for purebreeds keeps getting smaller and smaller - so sometimes, the undesireable traits become more and more likely to appear.

Also, in the last 100 years, dogs have become pets for the most part - versus working animals, so they are being bred for appearance purposes - which can lead to issues.

Ignore the writing, the pictures are the cool part of these pages, they show dogs 100 years ago versus today:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/how-dog-breeds-looked-100-years-ago-2016-2
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s-breeding-changed-dog-breeds-not-better.html

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2016

I have had a lot of dogs in my lifetime, most of them have lived a long, happy life. I have two of my own right now, both purebred dachshunds. One is 5, got him from a breeder. The other is 4 and saved him from going to the shelter so I don't know his background. From what I've read, dachshunds can live til around 15. Both have started getting a little white around the muzzle, but nothing too noticeable. I have not had to take either one to the vet, though the younger one has given me a few scares (I couldn't tell you how much chocolate this dog has eaten!)!

4 years ago I had to put my German Shepard down because of her hips. She was 12. I knew she wouldn't last a long time due to the nature of the breed. I can't tell you the devastation I felt having to put her down.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2016

bros, yes, that's certainly logical reasoning!

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 22, 2016

I've read how 1/3 of people in US will get cnacer in their lives. I don't know how accurate this statement is, but it is shocking. This also doesn't take into account heart attacks, strokes (i.e. other leading causes of death). I believe this is related to obesity and health issues in America. I bring up this point, because I look at what dogs are typically fed when it comes to longevity... and I think it is the primary cause of dog health problems.

I make my dog's food: usually just pre-make some chicken breast or whole fish and vegetables. I also supplement with various things (turmeric, glucosamine, probiotics). It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. The point being that it is wholesome and I think it makes a difference.

My dog isn't the picture of health, but she is still alive, longer than it seemed like she would be. I'm encouraged that her diet has prolonged her life quite a bit.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  14. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2016

It is easier to detect cancer nowadays - and more and more types of cancer can be identified.

15. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 23, 2016

My family has only ever owned mutts, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but they have all been long lived and very healthy. Growing up we had a shepherd mix that lived to be 17 and didn't have a ton of medical issues except those related to old age. My mom's terrier mix was 15 when she passed away, and my aunt's cocker spaniel mix was a few months shy of 20!

I hope I have the same luck with my current dog. He's a mutt with who knows how many different breeds mixed in and so far has been very healthy, but he's only two.

I will say that I think food quality makes at least some difference. My mom made our dogs' food growing up (ground turkey and veggies, mainly) and I tried to do a lot of research on the healthiest dog food available commercially. I have considered switching to homemade food but haven't decided yet.

16. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 25, 2016

A lot Of people here are attributing premature death with food quality, so I wanted to add that my mom made the food herself.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 29, 2016

A number of posts, and those reposting partial posts, have been sent for moderation. Thank you.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 30, 2016

Edited mine.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 30, 2016

I got a new dog on Monday night. When my daughter was still living home, we both loved her Pomeranian. Then DD moved out and took her dog! The nerve! My heart was broken, even though I've seen her often. So, I found a 1 year old pom, or part pom, on Craigslist. I went to see him and he licked my face all over and I was smitten. He isn't as beautiful as my previous little one, but just as loving.

Missy and smalltowngal like this.
  20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 30, 2016

Congrats on the new fur ball! Sweet puppies are just the best.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2016

I believe the one in question is gone.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 30, 2016

Yes, czacza.

Thank you, teacherintexas!

teacherintexas likes this.
  23. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 31, 2016

Oh yes, but mine was sent to moderation, aka awaiting moderator approval

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 31, 2016

Bros, several posts were sent to moderation.

Daisy, poms are fluffy and adorable! Enjoy your new fur baby!

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 31, 2016

Thanks, Christy. Well, this one isn't as fluffy as most, but I don't care. He is a sweetheart.

ChristyF likes this.
  26. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 1, 2016

I am aware. I just assumed that it was sent to moderation so it could be edited, not as some form of post purgatory :p

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2016

The issue to which you responded has been removed from this thread, so any references to it wouldn't make sense. In this case, "moderated" means "deleted" or "made invisible to other members".

czacza and Upsadaisy like this.
  28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 1, 2016

Purgatory? LOL Well, theoretically, some posts might fall into good graces and be reinstated, but I really haven't seen that happen.

29. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 2, 2016

It is a purgatory of sorts :p

Only I and the mods can see it.

Oooh, it's our own secret clubhouse... post.... thing

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 2, 2016

Yeah, then Amanda sends them to .......

31. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 3, 2016

Poor posts. They end up in the big recycle bin in the cloud.