Dogs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Dec 31, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

Do any of my friends here happen to own a pug? I've never had a pet (not even as a child), but BF had a pug for 15 years (she passed away shortly before he and I met). Anyway, I think he's emotionally ready for another! :)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 31, 2014

Our 2 rescue dogs are mainly lab/terrier mixes.
    My father-in-law had a pug who was a fantastic dog and companion. The pug SHED like crazy, but was never yappy and didn't require grooming like other dogs that size.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2014

My best friend has one. She loves it like anything, but the dog drives her crazy at times. She didn't know how active they were before her daughter picked the dog out.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2014

Get a rescue! My dog adopted me. I never would have picked such a large doggie but my sweet boy is the best doggie ever.

6. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 31, 2014

^^^
    That.
    I was the opposite. I had large dogs growing up and when I began fostering for the SPCA I bonded with 2 fosters (3 years apart) and they became permenant family members.

I don't have Pugs, but I adore my rescues whom I love very much...

petfinder.com is a great site for finding rescues of a specific breed :)

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

My aunt and uncle used to raise pugs. They loved those dogs, but I couldn't stand how snorty they were.

Like others, I recommend getting a dog from a shelter or rescue group. Those dogs really need people to want them.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

My friends and relatives call me the crazy pug lady :D He is like my child. The only thing I don't like is the shedding but it's a small price to pay for the bundle of love that he is :wub:
    There are Pug rescues all over so that might be an option. My local SPCA never had a Pug available so that wasn't an option for me. Also, I signed up online with a rescue site but they never contacted me. I ended up finding a breeder because I ran out of options. If I ever get another one I will definitely try to find a rescue.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

A dear friend has had a number of pugs and they have been smart and lovable. I have the same trouble as another poster, however - the smushed in face and snorting drives me nuts and is a huge turn off. Perhaps you/he could consider another breed that doesn't feature the pushed in face the noisy breathing, but is smart and about the same size. Along those lines, I could suggest Schipperkes, Bichons, Min Pins, a Poodle crossed with something (if it doesn't have to be purebred), or the small Beagle? The truth is that there are so many breeds and dogs out there, but it always comes down to personal preference and desire. I have been owned by a slew of Shelties and Spaniels over my lifetime, but they are not for someone who doesn't like the long hair. I am not, personally, fond of the very small dogs without much substance, nor would I recommend a terrier - very high energy. Without meaning to offend anyone, I would steer clear of the many, many pit bulls that are in rescue, even the crossbred ones - they have a reputation that they have earned. Some are wonderful, but so very many are not. Too many other dogs out there that need and want a family and forever home. I support rescue, and have had pets from rescue, but sometimes they are there because of a problem, so no one would blame you for getting a puppy. I would only ask that you find a responsible breeder and avoid pet stores and puppy mills at all costs. These are the dogs that will be poorly socialized, bred like livestock, with little or no regard for breeding to the standard. We are buried with puppy mill dogs here in NJ, mostly coming from PA, but these operations are everywhere, so just be aware and vigilant.

I can't imagine a life without dogs - we usually have multiples. Currently, we have a Welsh Springer Spaniel and a black and white Cocker. The first is high energy, the second is half the size, three times the hair, and really smart. I still love Shelties, their coat is low maintenance and they are so easy to train, and someday I would love to have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Just find the dog that speaks to your heart, then look at it realistically. Don't count on being able to change the personality because sometimes you can, but many times you can't. In that way, they are just like people. I wish you the very best!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

The snorting doesn't bother me. He sleeps with me and his snoring is so cute it puts me right to sleep. The smushed in face is the cutest thing about him. It's all in preference but now that I've had him I don't think dogs with snouts are cute at all. Boston Terriers are small too and I don't think they snort so that might be one to look into.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2014

I love pugs! I grew up with pugs and when my husband and I moved in together we got one. I told him he didn't have a choice. I adore my pug. I don't mind the snorts and snoring. She is such a cuddle pug. Truly the nicest dog there is. Good with kids, older people, everyone. The shedding is awful but the love outweighs it.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

I didn't mean to offend. That face that you adore "speaks" to you, and I know that owning, being owned by a dog is a very emotional and personal decision. Boston terriers have their own problems, and many do snort, and they are not as lovable, with the same personality, as pugs. They do share the shedding problem without the cute antics. I SO respect that different folks are loyal to certain breeds. Your dog is your "white noise" that make you feel loved and secure, and I get that. Two thumbs up for pet ownership! :2up:

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I think the OP is at an advantage because his BF has had a pug before and can give him the ins and outs of the breed. If there's anything negative that the BF has come across then he will be aware of it. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but mine is a mix (his mom was half pug and his dad was full) so he actually has less problems than a purebred. I wouldn't rush into getting any dog but take the time and the right dog will find you :)

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2014

I LOVE dogs & can talk about them all day long! I've never had a pug, but they're one of the brachycephalic breeds (flat-nosed), along w/ boston terriers & bulldogs. I've had a boston before, who's now passed away 2 yrs ago this Feb. He was THE BEST! I want to eventually get a french bulldog.

Whatever you do, don't get them from pet stores since that would be in support of puppy mills & you can get one from a reputable breeder & pay the same amount as what the pet stores charge. Just start attending dog shows in your area, talk to owners, breeders, & handlers, & get yourself on their litter lists.

If you choose the shelter/rescue group way, of course certain unique breeds aren't found much in shelters, but there are rescue groups that you can get a pug from.

By the way, regarding the snoring, my boston did it & I thought it was cute! It never bothered me while I was sleeping or while I was awake! :)

15. Jan 1, 2015

You've GOT to be kidding. Have you ever known a Boston Terrier? Not loveable? No cute antics? Are you serious?

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2015

All pets have certain features that people either love or don't. I agree with you, Boston's are known for their always wanting to be with their humans, always wanting to be near you, on your lap, at your feet, always near. Most sleep in the bed, under the covers. The are so sweet, entertaining and very lovable. Have not met one yet that didn't have me cracking up by their silly antics. Head tilts, don't even get me started. So darn adorable. Shedding, minimal to almost none.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

I was expecting this! The only two Boston's I "knew" well were both irritable biters, and they snorted and shed as bad as the pugs I've known. It is hard to see them as lovable once you've been snapped at several times. By contrast, the pugs I have known were hilarious clowns who would suffer a child anything. I never sought out a relationship with more Boston's, understandably. I think that pugs may be a little bigger boned and sturdy, leaving them able to take a little more handling, but even that is limited observation. People pretty much know what works for them, and although I get along with almost all animals, I wouldn't seek out certain breeds for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean their "parents" don't love them. ;)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2015

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p
    [​IMG]

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

:yeahthat:

Especially BACON! Our spaniels could be convinced to change their last names if bacon is involved. :lol:

20. Jan 2, 2015

Two representatives do not make a breed. To paint such a broad stroke with such limited information is ignorant.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

Gently, people. To each his or her own.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 2, 2015

We have a Morkie. I swore I didn't want her, but she is my dog. She is so smart and cute. She loves to play, but she also loves to snuggle. It drives my kids crazy that when you ask her who she loves, she runs to put her head in my lap.

Also my kids and I have major allergies. She doesn't shed, so we have had her a year and no problems.

23. Jan 2, 2015

I was being gentle. I could have used a different word but ignorant is what was appropriate. Ignorance is merely a lack of understanding, and is curable, by knowledge. The claims that were made were not a case of "to each his or her own". "Unlovable" is a strong assertion, and not a breed trait. Neither is irritable biting or "lack of cute antics". These are DOG traits. All breeds have dogs that bite and those that cuddle, and everything in between. To judge a whole breed on the actions of two dogs is...well, I've already said it. And BTW, I would have taken offense to these things being said about any breed.

24. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2015

I grew up next door to a breeder who never had less than a dozen Boston's and another dozen Poodles. The whole lot was always in a terrible din, but I reserved judgement until I met a couple that didn't come as a pack. I had friends with a youngish female, and later was friends with a woman who had an older male. Different sides of the country, different homes, and they both bit, and I was told "not to get too close." I believe that lots of people live with animals that may not be agreeable to me, hence the comment that if that breed speaks to you, then why would you care what I think? My experiences were not pleasant, and that is what I stated. I don't favor pit bulls either, but far fewer people would call me out on that, I suppose. Feel free to keep what you like. I bred and showed dogs for many years, and the one thing that I would never excuse is a dog that bites - not mine, not anyone else's. My job, as a breeder, was to produce an animal as free of defects as possible, and since many/most of any litter will be a family pet, I had no reason to place an animal that would bite. The breeds I did suggest were dogs for whom I have had wonderful experiences. We are products of our experiences. Are there Boston's out there that might could change my mind? Perhaps, but I am going to reserve judgement on that given the encounters I have had. I do believe I am on record as saying that if any dog is your family member, it must work for you, since we all like different things. Enjoy your Boston's - they're just not my cup of tea.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

You missed both my plural and my point.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 2, 2015

Welcome to the forum, OffRoadDiesel. I hope you hang around and find some posts that interest you. We're a pretty friendly place. Opinions are fine, but not ones that disparage another. Lynette is allowed her opinion as well. You may not agree with it, but maybe sharing your personal experience with Bostons to offer another perspective would make more of an impact. You accused her of bashing a whole breed based on limited exposure. To be fair, you did the same to her. You based your opinion of her on one post. Maybe you should give her another chance.
    Again, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

27. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jan 6, 2015

I foster with the SPCA and found myself caring for two 5 week old Morkies. The little male stole my heart and 5 years later he's my best buddy.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2015

What is a morkie? Something with a yorkie?

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2015

Maltese/Yorkie cross, unless I am terribly mistaken. Who knows, with a few snow flakes flying, the brain could be mostly frozen. ;)

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 6, 2015

Maltese/Yorker.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2015

I hope the OP comes back to say whether he got a pug or not. With pictures!!

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2015

A picture, of a pug - with bacon! My boys say they will undergo some ear cropping and nose shortning for bacon. It's a joke, everyone, all of it except the love of bacon! :p

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2015

I have a picture of mine trying to steal bacon from a plate on the table. I'll see if I can post it LOL

34. Jan 8, 2015

Sorry, I stand by my original post. As a breeder, you would have defended your preferred breed if someone made the comments you made about it. And as a breeder, you have to know that your neighbor was either a "backyard breeder" or puppy mill, both of which don't foster breed standards, or good standards, and shouldn't be used to form rational opinions on those breeds.

I never meant to offend anyone. I make my living by the written word. To me, words have meaning, but the internet has a way of skewing meaning. If you had said that you had had bad experiences with two Boston Terriers and they are not for you, it would have had an entirely different impact. It would have opened up a dialogue that might have been more productive.

Peace,
    Donna

35. Jan 8, 2015

I did not miss the plural, and you missed my point.
    I responded to the OP and hope I clarified my position.

36. Jan 8, 2015

Thank you for the welcome, CristyF. I explained myself to Lynette in a reply to her, so I won't repeat myself, but I in no way meant to disparage her. I know the word I used might have a different connotation to a younger generation, but I used the original definition, which does not imply any insult. My grandchildren consider me to be the "grammar police" and I take words seriously. I think if she had worded her opinion differently, we would be having a totally different conversation.

37. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2015

Donna, you are assuming that I intended to have a serious dialogue about my choices on a lighthearted thread. I give people credit for taking all information in and finding what it means to them, based on their own experiences and further research. I am on record as stating that if any given breed or mutt appeals to you, hey, that doesn't offend me - it is your dog, your breed. You, however, do not know me well enough to safely assume or accurately predict that I would defend any breed, whether I own it or have bred it, that exhibited serious defects, including biting. That seems presumptuous on your part, but that's my opinion. :2cents:

I sincerely hope that people who acquire any breed will proceed with due diligence to make sure they are making an informed and wise purchase/acquisition that fits with their family's needs and lifestyle. Some breeds are better with children, some have specific needs, and the list goes on. Adding a dog that doesn't fit well with the family contributes to the number of animals sitting in a shelter, hoping to find a forever home, but facing the real threat of imminent destruction. I believe people who make poor choices then discard the pets later, like yesterday's newspaper, are ignorant of the cost in suffering that they inflict on animals who can't speak for themselves. Breeders should offer full disclosure about a breed's qualities, positive and negative, that will help families make informed decisions. Puppy buyers should run from any breeder who sings the praises of the positives without presenting a balanced picture of the entire idiosyncrasies of the breed. I believe that as a breeder, many people who came to buy a puppy from me must have wondered if I really wanted to sell it to them, because I didn't sugar coat the good and the bad of the breed. I also declined some sales because the home they were offering was not suitable to the breed - too little room or time for exercise, too little human contact, too many little children with too little supervision, etc. Unfortunately, many well meaning puppy buyers will be taken by puppy mill breeders and sold a bill of goods. Reputable breeders will have breeding stock evaluated for the status of many of the genetic defects that plague a multitude of breeds, but even the best breeder may miss a defect. The reputable breeder, however, will stand behind the dog they place, to minimize the loss and grief that breed defects can inflict on a family. My only problem with rescue dogs is that you may not know how reputable the original breeder was, so it is the "pig in a poke" situation that bothers me. I have had rescue dogs, and loved them dearly, but each had serious flaws that my family had to deal with. I mention this as something else for a potential owner to consider.

You love Boston Terriers - I don't, but I defend your right to love them, so please refrain from issuing more insults to me. Since you have stated how precise you are with your words, I suspect your intent to insult was just as precise, but I will hope I am wrong, and try to give you the benefit of the doubt. The people who contribute on this forum generally are friendly, mean well, and lack any malicious intent. Your posts on this thread suggest you are suspicious of our motives and that you feel compelled to take us to task for not meeting your criteria of what is or is not valid. I would like to think that you would want us to be kinder to you than you have chosen to be with us. I don't believe that calling someone ignorant can easily be construed as friendly, and Teacher Groupie and Christy were simply trying to keep the peace and maintain harmony. I tried to respond with my experiences to add context, but even that has not changed your tone. I am sorry that I have not lived up to your expectations, but that is a two way street, and perhaps your quick insult has not lived up to mine. Please note that I will not attempt to speak for the others - that would, once again, be presumptuous. I have stated an opinion, which may or may not bear any weight with other readers or participants in these forums. I suspect that others who have read these posts understand that I haven't had a wonderful history with this breed, but that I believe if a breed speaks to you, I am perfectly OK with you loving it until the cows come home. We don't have to share the same beliefs and preferences, but we should try to respect other's beliefs, which I thought I advocated. If you missed that in my posts, please reread them and try to see that I am not here to cram my opinions down anyone's throat. So for me, I don't want to own a Boston, I really don't want to own a Pit Bull, and anyone who wonders why can ask me in a PM if curiosity gets the best of them. :whistle:

As far as the dogs loving bacon, TeacherNY, I would dearly love to see some of those pictures! :p

Our guys were in Heaven tonight because it was pizza party night - they very much know what that means, and they get very excited. It's only the outer crust, but you would think it was steak to see the tails wagging! I am an animal lover who is also a realist. Hubby is a vet, and I have had a lot of experience with a variety of species and breeds. Cute pictures of dogs seeking bacon make me smile, so that would be right up my alley. I am sure there are other things that will make me laugh out loud when I read some of these posts, and that makes my day. I love the camaraderie that is generally evident on this site, so I love to read and post here. Some of the suggestions seem more relevant to me than others, but I believe that the suggestions are made with sincere intentions to be helpful, and that means the world to me. I appreciate the good intentions and have come to enjoy frequent posters. You are a welcome addition to my life! :thanks:

38. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jan 10, 2015

I have two boston terriers and two pugs. :wub:

They are all lovable and goofy, and always want to be near their people. I seriously feel like I have 4 miniature clowns in my home! The pugs are a little snortier, but my female boston snores like a train! My pugs are super snuggly and the moment you sit down, they want on your lap. One of them also insists on sleeping on a pillow next to my head. They're all very tolerant with my young children (5 and 4 years old) but the pugs will literally sit through anything.

I love them all, but I will never be without a pug!

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2015

I am so jealous! :p I can only handle one at the moment LOL

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2015

[​IMG]

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2015

Cute TeacherNY!