Doggie food

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jerseygirlteach, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 27, 2015

So, my pup has had a bit of an upset tummy the past few days. He was throwing up a lot for one day. Then that stopped and he had a bit of diarrhea for a couple of days. He seems okay now and his frantic energy level didn't diminish, but it had me worried so I told a friend. She asked me what food he eats and I said Beneful, so she told me about this (see link below)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-claims-purina-beneful-pet-food-sickens-kills-dogs/

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Obviously, I'm worried.

What dog food do you give your pup? I was thinking of trying Blue. Do you use that one and does your doggie like it?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 27, 2015

My dog ate Beneful a while back but I stopped buying it before I heard about the dogs getting sick. I started my dog on the Grain Free Rachael Ray food. He seems to like it. I'd like to keep him grain free because I suspect he has allergies since he scratches a lot. I'd like to research other foods.
    I also want to look into make my own food for him. I just want to make sure whatever I make him has everything he's supposed to have like regular dog food. I know there are a lot of recipes out there and hopefully I can look at them when I have some time.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2015

I feed Eukanuba Excel. One dog will only eat the chicken, but in the past, dogs have loved the salmon. No soybean, no grains, and high quality protein sources. All of the top dog food manufacturers have had recalls for one thing or another, but I know Eukanuba for many years and trust them implicitly. High calorie counts for the amount that you feed, which is great for the puppies, especially. I would be remiss if I didn't state that you need to mix the present food with the new food for several days for a switch. How old is the dog, and the breed?

As a warning, there is a distinct rise in liver disease in dogs that consume the chicken jerky treats that are manufactured in China. There are a couple of these made in the US that shouldn't be lumped in with the Chinese versions, since they are OK. Most of the offenders are US companies outsourcing. True Chews and the Blue Buffalo Chews are made in the US and should NOT be lumped together with those made in China.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2015

When we had a puppy we did science diet...

try giving your pup a little plain yogurt...may put back some of the good bacteria!!

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 27, 2015

Our dog eats Blue. He seems to like it. We haven't had any problems.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2015

Back when I had my dog & did research on dog foods, I fed him Canidae, which you can only find at feed stores:

http://www.canidae.com/

He was on this the first couple yrs of his life, then I wanted to make a change, so after briefly trying a few other non-grocery store brands, I kept him on FreshPet, which has to be refrigerated:

http://freshpet.com/

I think he liked FreshPet better than Canidae. He never left any little bit in his bowl.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 27, 2015

He is a Yorkie, 13 months old.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 27, 2015

Mine eat Pro Plan.

10. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Feb 27, 2015

My two dogs eat Canidae and seem to really like it.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 27, 2015

We feed grain-free Blue.
    Both of our dogs love it.
    Our older dog has a sensitive stomach (she had her stomach pumped when she was young after eating Ibuprofen - YIKES) and she has never had a problem with Blue. We go grain-free because it seems to help with our younger dog's eye watering.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 27, 2015

I feed my dog IAMS Proactive Health Smart Puppy.

He's a 3.5 month pug.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2015

I asked because puppy is vague, and some puppies can have worms or giardia infections that can share the same symptoms. I would imagine at his age, however, that would not be as likely. Just in case you haven't had a fecal done on him recently, however, it is easy and inexpensive way to rule out parasites. There are quite a few top foods out there, and most will fill the bill nicely. Calories per cup were very important to us because the Welsh Springer is high energy and we had trouble getting weight on him. Your guy will probably maintain well on most of the better foods. I do love Eukanuba, but have fed Innovo when Eukanuba changed formulas and was off the market for a while.

Hubby is a vet, so let me plug preventative dental hygiene for dogs. We had fed Greenies in the past, but hubby says that the Milk Bone Dental Chews are rated higher, so now we use those. The boys love them, and they come in small for your little guy, and medium is good enough for up to about sixty pounds. We give one a day, and I have to say that the teeth look good, gums healthy. That's my one plug! I once fed Purina ONE, but the formulations have changed, and it just wasn't a good fit anymore.

Belly rubs to your little one. ;)

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

Pro Plan for large breeds. Our Bernese is just about 100 pounds and gobbles it down.

15. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 1, 2015

True story: My cat that I had growing up died from his iams cat food. Apparently it had ASHES as filler and the toxins set a whole chain of events that eventually killed him. This was 10 years ago. I feed my cat now purina one beyond. It actually smells like fish and cranberries, but it is definitely pricey for dry cat food. I would love to buy blue, but I just can't afford it.

My mom makes dog food at home now. She basically boils chicken breasts and mixes it with Greek yogurt, rice, carrots, salt and a few other things. She said she found the recipe on the internet because she was tired of paying like 30 dollars a week to feed the dog. She printed it out and showed it to her vet and she said it looked good. The dog loves it and her health has improved a lot. My mom makes it, portions it and freezes the rest.

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2015

WARNING!!!!!! Do not give your pets chew treats such as jerky treats that say on the back that they're made in China. I lost my precious Yorkie-Pomeranian, Casey, 2 1/2 years ago because of these. The US FDA has inspectors in China looking into it. They are sold under American names, and are still in Walgreens, Wal Mart, and many groceries. Check the fine print. Thousands of pets have been lost because of these.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 2, 2015

In addition to what scholarteacher said, I also wouldn't feed those Greenies.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 2, 2015

Our vet recommended Pro Plan as being the most bang for our buck. It's higher quality than most brands, but priced more reasonably tan some of the elite brands. Since we have four dogs, we really can't afford to feed some of the supreme brands, but ours love Pro Plan!

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 2, 2015

I've never owned a pet (prior to purchasing my pug). Anyway, I hope this question doesn't sound too silly: How do you go about switching a dog from one brand to another? Do you slowly wean them off and then introduce them to the new one? What do you all recommend?

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 2, 2015

Thank you for this! I've only been purchasing 100% natural, but I still need to read the fine print!

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2015

Mixing 3/4 old and 1/4 new for a couple of days, then half and half for a few days, and you are usually good to go with the switch.

As for those chicken jerky treats, always read the back and look for the China reference. I know that True Chews are what we feed and they are made of US chickens in the US. I would also recommend asking your vet about the Milk Bone Dental Chews for your puppy. Of course, you can also brush his teeth, but they do love those chews!

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 2, 2015

When I switched my dog's food I slowly added the new food probably for about a week. He prefers dry mixed with wet but when I give him just kibble he will carry a mouthful of it into another room, drop it on the floor, then eat one kibble at a time. Silly dog!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

Our puppy did that with dry food like someone or something was going to take it... LOL!!! Only dog in the house.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 3, 2015

Sometimes he will forget a piece and I end up stepping on it!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2015

It's like doggie legos!!! LOL!!!

Our pup LOVED bananas!!!

My cousin is getting new dog Friday sent me a pic SO CUTE!!!

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 3, 2015

Iams for Mature (read old lady) large breed dogs. We've never had a problem.

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 4, 2015