Dog Training Tips?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Mar 30, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2012

I rescued my doggy, Perlita, about 7 months ago. The refugio told us that she was 1-2 years old. But I think she's probably about 1.5 years NOW. We think she's a pointer/terrier mix, but who knows.

Anyways, she is really poorly behaved. The biggest problem is she doesn't come when she's called. She knows her name, knows I want her to come, but won't because she doesn't want to. I take her to a fenced park to run around and I always bring treats with me. When I call her I give her a treat. If she can tell I'm not going to give her a treat, or if she knows I don't have treats, she'll come and stop 5 feet away, look for a treat, then run away! Even if I'm pretending to hold a treat, she can tell I don't have one. I've even tried picking up a tiny rock to offer her, and she can tell from 5 feet away it's not food. I call her multiple times while at the park so she doesn't think we leave every time I call her. But she still won't come. I don't dare let her off her leash unless she's enclosed in a fence.

I don't know what to do!:dizzy: She walks great on a leash, always sits for me when I put on the leash and take it off. So she knows how to behave, but she refuses to come when I call her! My "backyard" is only about the size of a small bedroom, so there's not a whole lot of stuff I can do back there with her.

Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid paying for expensive doggy lessons.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

Oh man, it sounds like some classes are the only way! It is an investment in the next 10 years or so with your sweet doggie. "come" is the most important command for a dog to obey, as it could save your dog's life.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2012

I was going to suggest dog training classes too. They're invaluable.