Dog offense on Criminal Background Check

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Johnjoel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Dec 27, 2013

Hi everyone,

Long story short, my unlicensed dog (who I just licensed after this incident) bit my aunt at a family Christmas gathering this past Saturday night. She went to the emergency room to get her bite cleaned up and I think they asked her about the dog (I'm not sure). I'm expecting a visit from Animal Control and/or Dog Warden and am hoping beyond hope that I don't get cited for having an unlicensed/unregistered dog.

My question is, if I am charged with this crime (unregistered dog), will the charge show up on my criminal background check? If it does, do you think administrators would hold it against me and not hire me or could I be fired from my current position? I work in Pennsylvania.

Thanks everyone in advance for your replies.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

Pretty sure that it would only be a fine, so I really doubt it would show up on a criminal background check. I'd be surprised if a future administrator decided not to hire you even if it showed up, and I'd be absolutely shocked if you lost your current job.

4. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Dec 27, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I feel like some kind of fugitive!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

Understandable, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. For that matter, if you were going to hear from any animal control folks, I'd think you already would have.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Not necessarily. They are probably only responding to severe things until the new year.

My mom works in the court in my town - the animal control officer comes in once a week with complaints, then the court acts on the complaints.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

Animal control may come and find out how you plan on preventing your dog from biting again. They may want to know if your dog has been properly vaccinated...and if it hasn't, the dog may be impounded. But, I don't see this as going on your permanent record.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

Either way I don't think it's a criminal offense. It's almost the same as if you had a housekeeper, she fell and sued you for medical bills. Even if it was your fault, it wouldn't be a criminal suit but a civil suit.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

It must have been a pretty serious bite to warrant a trip to the ER. What happened?

10. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Dec 28, 2013

Thanks everyone - I read that in some counties/municipalities an unregistered dog is considered a 4th degree misdemeanor. I think where I live it is a summary offense. I'm just hoping that if it would be on my record, administrators can look past it. Hopefully, the Animal Control Officer will only ask for his vaccinations. If he does ask for a license, I do have one, but he may put things together and realize that I didn't have him registered at the time of the accident.

11. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Dec 28, 2013

As I went to hug my aunt goodbye, he saw her as a threat and bit her behind the leg. He broke skin (about a nickel size gash). She didn't go to the emergency room that night, but she went to get it looked at and cleaned up the next morning at urgent care.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

Are you going to be taking your dog in for more training so that you can avoid this sort of scenario in the future?

13. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Dec 28, 2013

Yes - my fiance and I are looking at a few good trainers around the area. This is the first time he's ever done anything as serious as this. In the past, he would soft mouth people only if they wanted to play with him.

14. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 28, 2013

Typically, background checks are looking for felonious types of actions like murder, rape, aggravated assault, theft, child abuse, those types of things. This incident wouldn't rank.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2013

If it's a misdemeanor then it is a crime and would show up on a background check. I don't think this is the type of thing that would get you fired (or even not hired), but you never know. More critically, on future applications you'd need to report it and have something you had to "explain" (if you don't report it then it's evidence of dishonesty, which is much more likely to keep you from getting hired). That won't be comfortable. As opposed to if it were a violation, where you wouldn't have to report it on applications (like parking tickets/minor speeding tickets/etc.).

If someone does try to cite you for a crime, they'd need to give you a summons to come to court. If you get one of those I'd go down to court immediately, explain the circumstances and what you've done since to get your dog licensed and ensure that future incidents don't happen, and see if they'll reduce the charge. Most places will, especially if you're willing to pay the fine right away.