Dog Fighting Game by Android - Help needed

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

I certainly don't support dog fighting at all, but that is kind of a low blow at Michael Vick. You surprise me by doing that Major. I don't condone what he did at all, but he paid his price to society for his actions and has worked earnestly as an advocate against dog fighting and animal cruelty since his release from prison.

It would be nice to see him get some credit for his current actions rather than continual condemnation for his past ones.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Vick ruthlessly, sadistically, mercilessly, maimed and murdered innocent animals. He did this for his own pleasure...... for his own enjoyment.

Those dogs who didn't die .... but were unable to fight again ... had their heads held under water until they drowned.

In my opinion Vick should still be in prison........ He should have been banned from the NFL.

You are a very bright young man, Cerek, and I seldom disagree with you on anything (and I believe I told you as much in a recent PM) ....... but on this matter we are world's apart. Have a nice day over there in NC.......... :)

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

Yes, Vick did all of that and didn't see anything wrong with it because he grew up in a family that promoted dog fighting. He at least has reached the point where he can now say he was wrong to do that. He can't change what he did, but he can try to atone for what he did and, by most accounts, he is trying to do just that.

Maybe it's just me, but I personally take more offenses at pro athletes that commit crimes endangering other people (drunk driving, drug use, domestic abuse, bar fights, statutory rape, etc) and get off with a very light slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, Vick spent two of his prime playing years in prison. The only other high-profile athlete that has suffered a similar fate is Mike Tyson and it took a LOT higher number of offenses to get him in prison than it did Vick.

As for the prison time itself, he received an average sentence for a first time offender. He did not get special treatment because of his celebrity status. If you look up actual convictions and jail time for animal cruelty, you will see he got a much more severe penalty than most offenders receive.

The athletes I mentioned earlier rarely ever try to make amends or atone for their actions. They attend the mandatory rehab, anger management or other courses ordered by the court, but still try to either claim they didn't really do anything wrong to begin with or justify what they did. Roger Clemens sat before Congress and lied through his teeth on national TV. He still accepts NO responsibility for what he did. Jalen Rose was convicted of drunk driving in March and did everything he could to cover it up. When it came out anyway, ESPN took took him off the air - for about 3 weeks (wow..that's gotta sting). He is now back on the air doing analysis of the NBA playoffs each night for ESPN.

Barry Bonds also continues to deny any use of steroids, but all you have to do is look at his size now compared to when he played at Pittsburgh and it's pretty obvious he had some help along the way.

I am an avid animal lover myself and the thought of cruelty to animals makes me sick to my stomach, but I still take greater offense at those whose actions endanger other humans more.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 23, 2011

I have to agree with Major on this one. I am extremely upset Vick is playing again. I have responded to the original link.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2011

I often wonder if these celebrities who commit heinous crimes against people or animals, like those you spoke about, would still be committing these actions if they hadn't been caught?...

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 23, 2011

I wonder the same thing.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

So you feel Vick should be prohibited from playing as a pro athlete in addition to spending 23 months in prison?

What about Mike Tyson? Should he have been prohibited from fighting again after getting after prison?

Jalen Rose is another example. He was convicted of driving drunking and removed from the air by ESPN, but only for a about 3 weeks (approx. based on when the story first broke. May have only been 2 weeks). Now, he is back on the air and doing analysis of the NBA Playoff games. Should ESPN have fired him instead?

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 23, 2011

I do think Vick should have been prohibited. I don't think Mike Tyson should have been able to fight. I don't know anything about Jalen Rose, so I will have to research. Without research I would say Jalen Rose should lose his driver's license for a year, have to attend classes, serve in the community, but allowed to work if no one was hurt. Vick hurt animals and Tyson hurt women. If a teacher was convicted of drunk driving there is a good chance they could still teach. In my state it is a felony for animal abuse. My reasons may not make sense to others but I can't watch a game being played by someone who was so needlessly cruel.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 23, 2011

Here I was thinking this was going to be about airplanes. Dog fights are really bad.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Buddy

Anyone remember Buddy.... This is a heart breaking story about a dog named Buddy who was stolen..... then later purposely dragged to death while tied to a pickup truck by Steven Romero.

Romero was sentenced to three years for brutally killing one innocent dog. Vick served a couple of years for killing LOTS of dogs..... just for entertainment. I see no difference between Vick and Romero.

It took me months and months to get over the cruel, merciless killing of Buddy... From time to time I still think of Buddy ..:(

Sorry folks ........ I'm an unabashed animal lover..... Vick is an animal killer.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15640660

The man who dragged a stolen dog to death at the Colorado National Monument in December was sentenced today to the maximum prison term of three years.
    U.S. District Judge Philip Brimmer told Steven Clay Romero, 38, that his actions were shocking.
    "This crime is characterized by premeditation," said Brimmer. "He took the dog to a national monument. He claims he strangled the dog first and then to make sure the dog was dead he dragged it behind his pickup. It is particularly shocking to tie a dog behind a pickup and drag it to death."
    Brimmer told Romero that his story that he first strangled the dog — a German shepherd mix named Buddy — didn't make sense because evidence showed that Buddy was "alive and trying to keep up with Romero's pickup" as Romero drove through the monument.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

The charges against Vick were felonies as well. He is now a convicted felon, which does impose limits on what he can and cannot do in his personal life. I know we don't see that as significantly with him due to his high profile career, but he also has a lot of high-profile debts due to his actions and bad decisions and returning to the NFL was the only feasible scenario that would allow him to pay back the millions he owed to several people and organizations. He also willingly agreed to set up a fund of 1 million dollars to aid in the cost of recovery and adoption of the all the animals rescued from his operation. That doesn't come close to excusing what he did, by any means, but at least he is trying to repair some of the damage and make amends by appearing and speaking across the country as an advocate against animal cruelty now.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

Regardless of how anyone feels about criminal athletes, please protest the video games. Disgusting.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

Agreed.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

Romero received the maximum sentence because of the premiditation and excessively heionous method in which he killed the dog. Those served as extenuating circumstances that allowed the judge to give a harsher sentence than he normally would have. While Vicks actions may be equally heinous in your eyes, in the eyes of the law, dog fighting is far more common than individuals dragging dogs to their death down the highway and Vick was given close to the maximum penalty for his conviction as well.

If you look at the conviction and sentencing of others, you will find that Vick is among the few who actually received a felony conviction AND served time in prison for his crimes.

Here is a link to some statistics from New York State as an example.
    link

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Thanks cza and MrsC........ :hugs:

That was the real purpose of the thread......

18. TeachingNTX

TeachingNTX Rookie

Apr 23, 2011

Vick got off. The appropriate punishment would have been to give Vick the same treatment he gave the dogs. Upbringing is not an excuse. He said recently he would not change a thing he has done. Both he and his brother are thugs. We gave up our NFL season tickets and sold the options back to the Cowboys. I will not watch or attend another NFL game as long as Vick plays.

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

So you feel Vick should be hung or drowned?

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

I think a healthy discussion is always a good thing too.

In the meantime, I've posted my own condemnation of the game on the site in your link. ;)

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Thanks for your support....... and repeating what I said in post #3------

"You are a very bright young man, Cerek, and I seldom disagree with you on anything (and I believe I told you as much in a recent PM) .."

:):)

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

No worries, Major. I always respect your views and opinions, even on these rare occasions when we may not completely agree. :cool:

I'm an animal lover as well and agree cruelty to animals is one of the most reprehensible acts a person can commit. However, I've also known people who thought no more about killing unwanted animals than they did taking out the trash. To them, it was basically the same thing. I still remember one of my best childhood friends telling me how his dad callously killed off a litter of puppies his dog had and not seeing anything wrong with what he did. I've heard of hunters paying hundreds of dollars for good hunting dogs, then shooting them when they didn't perform as expected. During my marriage, we had a neighbor that owned a couple of roosters for fighting.

I don't agree with ANY of those actions at all, but I understand the mindset because I've seen it many times as I was growing up.

23. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

24. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011