Dog Concern: Lump between the shoulder blades

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

My dog, Boo, was at the vet Monday for routine stuff. She got vaccine shots and her rabies shot and a wormer ... her annual visit.

Saturday, I noticed a grape-sized lump between her shoulder blades that you can see if you know where to look. It doesn't seem to be "attached" ... her skin is loose (the docs think she has some sharpei) and it almost feels like the lump is in the skin and I can kinda feel a raisin-sized harder lump inside the softer grape-sized lump.

Boo is microchipped ... I think it is in the back of her neck, higher than her shoulder blades, but I'm not certain.

Doc usually gives shots in this area between the shoulder blades.

Please tell me that this lump is just a non-concerning reaction to her shots.

She doesn't care if you mess with the lump, she is eating, sleeping and playing like usual.

Anyone see something like this on your dog before?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2009

I would call your vet and have them take a sample just to be safe. It could just be a small reaction to the shot.
    Also, your vet is behind the times. All shots should be given in the back legs now.

4. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 22, 2009

A few years back my dachsund developed a lump like that near the base of his tail. It was cancer. It hadn't metastasized, though, and our vet was able to skillfully remove it. He was even able to save my dog's tail, and Keegan went on to live happily into old age.

My cat has a pea-sized lump on the top of her head just in front of one of her ears. It's a cyst, which has to be drained from time to time, but definitely not cancerous.

In both cases, neither pet really cared about the lump one way or the other. We could poke at it and squeeze it without either pet feeling any pain, apparently.

I've never had a pet microchipped. Are you certain about the location of the chip? I wonder if the tissue around the chip could have become inflamed...

Either way, KU_alum, I'd get Boo to a vet to have it looked at as soon as possible.

Math-(Who's The Man! :thumb: )-Tim

P.S. Good luck against Dayton today! :thumb:

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 22, 2009

Take boo the vet. It could be nothing, and it could be something serious and the timing with the shots is coincedece. :hugs: and prayers that he's okay :)

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 22, 2009

Take him to the vet. It could be swelling from his shot. It could also be cancer or a previous dog I had got sebacous cysts which are noncancerous. My vet use to check her bumps for free.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2009

For what it's worth, the 10 cm tumor they removed from me last September caused me no pain at all. My doctor said that, if the didn't know me better, he would have asked whether I had a breast implant. If I hadn't known it was there, I would never have known it was there.

I think that pain is only one indication of a problem. I say get her to the vet tomorrow.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Crum.
    I predict a sleepless night (for me).
    Tomorrow is our first day back from spring break, but I will try to get Boo to the vet tomorrow afternoon.

My vet is behind the times on shot location? Really? Wow. I find that almost shocking as my vet is super talented and super techie.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2009

I hope everything turns out alright!

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2009

Just in case it's cancerous or an infection - don't rub it or try to squeeze it. That can break it's boundary and spread whatever's inside.

Please, let us know how it goes.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 22, 2009

I had a cat with a lump...he had cancer...but they got it all.
    My dog got a lump too...was just a fat deposit.

Always safe to get it checked out...just in case. that way if it is anything bad...they can take it all out ASAP

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Vet said to watch the lump for 1-2 weeks ... likely an issue with the shots received that will resolve without a problem.

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 24, 2009

I am so glad for you!! Lumps can be scary!!

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 24, 2009

I'm glad the vet is relatively unconcerned. That's good news :)

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2009

Sounds like no big deal - YAY!

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 25, 2009

We had some lumps like this removed from our Doberman's leg and chest. They turned out to be noncancerous fatty growths. That your pets lump moves about is a good thing, I think. But I'm a safer over sorry type. What's it hurt to make a phone call to your vet and create a dialogue. If the vet thinks it more serious, you'll get that advice and be in to visit a.s.a.p. If not, then you've wasted no time and gained a bit of knowledge about what to look for.

I hope for the best.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2009

Her lump is getting smaller!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2009

That is good to hear!