Dog breeder vs. rescue

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Aug 4, 2013.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I have an equestrian friend who just posted on her Facebook that she used to like rescues but now she thinks it encourages bad breeding and people buying breeds for much cheaper. They have had bad luck with their rescues (all one breed) and most have died young/had to be put down for aggression.

I'm kind of torn. I will be getting a lab or lab mix next year. I absolutely want him/her to come from a shelter. There are SO many labs I see in shelters. My aunt has gotten all three of her dogs from shelters and they've all been great. Her lab mix lived until 16. Her Aussie is currently 12 and going strong. Their (SIX!) cats were all strays. Both of my cats were rescue and are super sweet/affectionate.

I also know some animals end up there for other reasons, like their owners had to give them up for one reason or another (death, moving, etc...)

I'm just not sure how I feel, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experiences to share.

My family did buy a Bichon from a breeder but she had to go back. My dad was allergic even to her.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

Yes, as you said, there are so many labs in shelters. And over five-thousand animals are killed every day in shelters in the United States. :(

4. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

I've only gotten dogs from shelters, etc. They've all been wonderful. If you're worried about breed-related health concerns, I'd get a mixed breed. They typically tend to be hardier. I would never buy a dog, personally. If you want a specific breed, you could also contact a breed rescue in your area.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

JustMe, I have a hard time not coming home with more cats every time I go to Petco! I'd take them all if I could.

Bison, we were thinking about a mix. I like the lab and goldens mixed with poodles. They'd be better for my dad when he comes to visit.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2013

Sometimes breed-specific rescues get a lot of their rescues from breeders, so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I am 100% pro shelter. All our dogs have come from the pound, except one who was on his way there. While I believe that there are many responsible breeders out there, there are many more who are terrible, awful people. In my hometown, 174 dogs were recently seized from a breeder who kept them in terrible conditions. Disgusting.

Another consideration is that mixed-breed dogs (i.e., mutts) tend to have fewer health problems because a lot of the genetic issues get bred out of them. Irresponsible breeders tend to inbreed and keep those genetic issues in play.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2013

I have a lab mix that adopted me. I can't imagine a better dog.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

I'm not sure I understand that statement. I don't understand how rescues could encourage bad breeding. :confused:

I've known people who have gotten dogs from well-established breeders that ended up with medical issues. Most reputable shelters test the dogs to make sure they are adoptable and not aggressive. Any dog can become aggressive without the proper socialization and training after being adopted.

I got my beauty from a rescue and although she was a challenging puppy, I wouldn't trade her for the world! :wub:

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

Both of our dogs are shelter rescues, both are lab mixes. They are wonderful.

I will never, ever, ever go to a breeder.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

Three of our dogs are rescues, and one we bought from a "breeder." they were very responsible, had both parents there as family pets/farm dogs. They kept all of the puppies inside with them and just loved dogs. They bred because they had dogs with unique coloring for the breed, but they weren't in it for profit, really. They only charged enough to cover cost of vet and food so far for the puppies. Our cat is also a rescue. I wouldn't trade any of them for anything!

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

I dont personally believe in buying animals when so many are euthanized because they cant find homes, so I am all for the rescue. We've always adopted and never had issues.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

We're getting a German shepherd, and he (or she) will be coming from a shelter. I can't buy one, when there are so many in danger of being put down.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

For a German Shepherd, you could also think about adopting from a program that places former police/military dogs. Some of them are retired, but many are also just young dogs that didn't qualify or get through their program for whatever reason. :) http://www.save-a-vet.org/d7/adopt

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

My current dog (Deeohgee) was a rescue before the fact she was headed to the pound, and I have decided what breed she is. She is a Havanese, National Dog of Cuba (that's my story and I am sticking to it)

I bred mini Dachshunds for a few years. It is expensive if you do it right and your profit is small, very small if you make a profit at all.
    The puppy mills many times do not have vets and the puppy mothers are caged and bred to exhaustion and the studs are not screened for bad genes or behaviors.
    I bred my females on a 3 year cycle (one year puppies and two years off) and with my male I let him do "services" other than my "girls" to once in a while, one reason is many times the pay is pick of the litter which meant one more dog I needed to find a home for.

My belief is that to make a living at dog breading you have cheat and run a puppy mill! So that is why I go rescue now.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

The specific dog breed of dog I wanted could not be found at any local shelters at the time. When I called they said they usually never see them but would put me on a list. After a year when they didn't call I found a woman who was selling a mixed breed dog similar to what I was looking for so I bought him from her. I still look on the shelter sites and still do not see the dog I want. They seemed to make it really difficult on the rescue site I looked at. I answered questions and did not hear back from them after 5 attempts to contact them so I opted not to deal with them.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

Yes, the mixed breed dog I bought is 7 years old and has had no medical problems. The breeder also sold him for 1/3 of the price of the full breeds so I can't see how she was making too much money off of them. There were 4 puppies and she was keeping 1 for her grandchildren. Not all breeders are evil moneymakers.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

I had never heard of that program-thank you for sharing this! :thumb:

18. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Do you or will you have children when you adopt or purchase a dog?

Every dog I have ever owned (except our current pet) has been a rescue or from the pound. We had two small children when we made the decision to get a dog. I felt strongly that I wanted a dog from a breeder that really knew her dogs. We were also looking for a labradoodle because of allergies.

We ended up with a doodle from a breeder that we knew. I had all of her children in my class through the years. She was a good person, and I knew she understood I needed a dog that would be good with kids.

After having lost a dog the previous year I couldn't deal with the what ifs involved in getting a dog from a rescue. Plus, I knew of four children that had recently been bitten by a dog, so I really didn't want to worry about not knowing the temperament/past of the dog. I felt all around that starting with a puppy was the best plan.

People are going to make comments no matter what you do. Follow your heart, and you will be fine. Best wishes in your search!!!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2013

I started a thread a while back regarding the seemingly average lifespan of a purebreed vs. a mixed breed. I know there are tons of shelter dogs who need good homes. I just like purebreeds (from a reputable breeder) because I like a specific physical look of the uniqu breeds I like PLUS, I like raising the dog from "day 1" (8 wks youngest recommended) and not have to worry about past issues.

Now, I always thought purebreeds tend to live longer overall than mixed breeds, but I've heard otherwise from a couple of people that mutts generally live longer because I guess they have the strongest genes from each breed they consist of.

I had a purebreed Boston Terrier from a breeder. Next time around, I'd love to get a purebreed French Bulldog, but a shelter dog isn't totally out of the question.

BTW, I found a purbreed Bichon for my aunt. I think he's about 8 yrs old now.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

I love my "zaguate" (street dog). In the USA the street dogs are all scooped up and put into kill shelters. Here in CR, they wander around the streets emaciated, with diseases and getting hit by cars constantly. The difference is here, you see the problem. I would never even consider buying a dog. My rescue has never gotten sick, ever. She has a great personality and I was able to house train her in a day. She's smart and wonderful and I love her!

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

We were going to adopt but our friend´s dog had puppies and they needed homes for them, so we were able to give her a nice home!

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

Any good shelter or rescue will do a few temperament tests on the dogs before they adopt them out. Most of the time those tests will give a good indication of whether the dog will be good with kids, cats, or other dogs. I think that you'd get just as much information from these temperament tests as you would from knowing who the dog's parents were at a breeder. A lot of a dog's personality comes from how well it was socialized as a puppy, and that can be an issue for any dog.

The great thing about shelters is that you can find a dog of any age. If you want a puppy, there will be puppies. If you want a young adult dog who is already housetrained, there will be one of those. If you want to do a nice thing and bring home a senior citizen, there will most definitely be one of those. We've adopted two puppies and one senior citizen. They have all been wonderful additions to our family. No behavior problems, no biting, no snarling. I trust them around children as much as I would trust any dog. Shelter doesn't have to equal damaged--and in my experience, it never does.

The key to any dog is proper training. Spend the money and go through a multi-week training program at a training facility with an animal behaviorist. Both you and your dog will be happier.

Certainly, if you are buying from a breeder, you have to ask to see the conditions where the dogs live. Don't meet up in a grocery store parking lot for the hand-off. Go to their house, ask to see where the dogs are kept, and see for yourself. Make sure that what you're looking at is actually the place where the dogs are kept and not just some sort of front. You should be seeing food and water bowls, bedding, toys, etc. The place should be clean and not smell bad. The dogs, all of them, should be well-groomed and not have any infections or scabs or watery eyes or any of that.

I personally just can't imagine a scenario where I would purchase a dog from a breeder. There are too many wonderful, amazing, and loving dogs sitting in shelters right now. I can't save them all, but I can do my part and save one. So that's what I'll do. I understand the desire for specific breeds, either for the personality traits that certain breeds tend to have or for certain physical characteristics or both. I think that most breeds can be found in shelters and rescue groups. Not all, of course, so that could be an issue. My sister has a Dogo Argentino, which is a fairly uncommon breed. She went to a reputable breeder for her Dogo, and I think it was a good choice for her. I tend to prefer more common breeds that are more easily found at shelters, so that works for me.

Lots of things to think about when it comes to getting a dog, that's for sure.

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

I didn't really care about the breed first, I just wanted a large dog that is a rescue. The more I kept looking and researching, the more I started liking German Shepherds. There is an adoption website that deals with only pure breads, they have a lot of dogs. I'm only looking at German Shepherds, and they have 20 + to choose from. They also have puppies. I went to the local shelter (we found a sick, blind kitten in our backyard, and the shelter will take care of her) and visited the doggies, and I was shocked when I saw how many puppies they had.
    So don't completely exclude shelters just because of the purebred and puppy issue.

I'd love a puppy, but I also want my dog to be able to protect us, so a 1-2 years old is better. Young enough to train but large enough to deter and protect. And my P said people will try to steal purebred puppies from back yards :(

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

NEVER leave your dog unattended in the yard. I know people who leave their dogs outside during the day while they're at work, and I think it's a terrible idea. Not only can the dog be stolen, but there can be other problems as well. If it barks all day, the neighbors will complain. If someone comes into the yard and opens the gate, the dog could get out. Some other dog could get into the yard and attack your dog. (That last one happened to my sister. One of her dogs died and the other one suffered some very serious injuries, including needing to have his two front legs reattached. He's fine now, but it was obviously very traumatic for both him and my sister.)

My dogs go out when they need to go to the bathroom. I leave them out for maybe 30 minutes at a time, and I keep my eye on them while they're out. They also go out whenever I'm in the backyard, where I can obviously give them most of my attention.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

Caesar, you're right, I haven't even thought about all that. I feel comfortable leaving a dog outside in the backyard, while I'm home with the door open, but when I'll be gone and I'll have him inside.
    I can't wait to adopt a dog, I submitted the application Friday but it can take a while.

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

That is so sad :( . I have only gotten pets from rescues. We looked into getting a pixie-bob cat once. We found out that the kittens with imperfect markings were euthanized. We also found out that people buy special cats and then find out they are too wild or just not what they thought and give them to shelters. If I really wanted a pure breed, I'd check the rescues.

Raising a pet from day 1 is probably safer. Somehow making living things into products to perfect and optimize strikes me wrong. Also, I have never had a bad experience with a shelter cat!

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

There have been a few comments about allergies. I think that the best dogs for people with allergies are dogs that don't shed and dogs with "hair" rather than "fur". I have a shnauzer/poodle mix and she doesn't shed. I'm not allergic to her in the slightest, even when we cuddle. My other dog, a shepherd/chow mix, sheds a lot and I do have to watch it when I cuddle with her. She will definitely make me itchy and whatnot. If she burrows under the covers, I have to change the sheets, otherwise I get all itchy. :( I still love her, though, and am willing to put up with that.

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

Our dogs stay out during the day, sortof. They have a dog door, and have access to part of the house during the day. Mostly they stay inside.Our dogs are all mutts, except for our purebred, and he weighs 95 pounds and would be very difficult to lift over the fence. Our gate is locked with three locks, so no one is opening that.

29. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

I'm slightly allergic to my dog. If I hug her, I always have to immediately wash off my arms otherwise they get all red and itchy. She's not allowed on any furniture because of this. But, my mom has labradoodles and I think I'm just as semi-allergic to them as well!

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2013

My sweet doggie is snoring a bit.

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I've gotten dogs from pet stores, breeders & a shelter.

The best one came from a breeder, a sheltie. The breeder was someone that my FIL worked with. We got the runt of the litter. He was an awesome dog. He died of cancer.

My pet store dog, also a sheltie, was traumatized from always being in a cage. She was scared of everything and not the brightest dog ever. She yipped constantly. She died of cancer.

Our current dog came from a shelter, a cheap local shelter. She was only about 4 1/2 weeks old & then had parvo. Love her dearly, but she can be a handful. She's also very particular about who she likes and trusts. She's a black lab/chow.

If we get another dog, it will be from a shelter, just not the one that our current dog came from.

32. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

The whole allergy thing is weird because my one child is allergic to dogs, but the only dog he has a reaction around is the golden retriever. Our labradoodles don't bother him at all. The allergy specialist that my son sees doesn't understand it either.

33. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 5, 2013

It is all semantic. The common sentiment out there is the "I will never get a dog from a breeder" sort of deal. But the fact is that we still have an enormous unwanted dog population in this country. And it will never go away, because stupid, irresponsible people will always exist. I think going for sheltered dogs is a great thing--especially with labs, where SO many pedigreed dogs are available (because of said, stupid people).

As Ms. I said, going to a breeder for a specific dog is legitimate. If I want a Nova Scotia Duck Toller, there is nothing wrong with me paying a responsible, thoughtful person, to acquire one. It isn't a negative-sum situation.

34. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2013

The other day I was talking to our cleaning lady's daughter and she mentioned her dog had puppies. I asked what did she do with them. She said she gave all of them away except for one that no one wanted, so they had to leave him on the street. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. And I'm 100% certain the mama dog is still wandering around the street during the day not-fixed ready to spit out another batch of unwanted puppies. *sigh*

The part that gets me the most- neutering here is SO CHEAP. We got it done on our female dog for $10!!!

35. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 6, 2013

We are a GSD family. They are amazing dogs. So many awesome GSDs are available through shelters and rescue organizers ( there are 3 groups near me that specialize in GSD rescue). So many people get them as puppies and do not realize what challenging dogs they can be (especially at 6-18 months!) and the exercise they need is more than some folks bargain for. They are such smart dogs, but people get them not realizing this, and next thing they know, a dog is running their household. Thus many perfect, wonderful GSDs end up in rescue :(.
    A good rescue agency will foster the dog, test its temperament, and make sure to find the right fit for the dog so it does not end up back in rescue. I was "passed over" for at least 7-10 dogs for various reasons - I have kids and the dog was too intense for kids, my yard was too small for a strong runner, my fence was too short for a jumper, I was not home enough for several who needed more exercise and/or attention, many GSDs NEED a job and uprise and become destructive if they have too much free time. Eventually, the just right dog came along... My adoption contract requires I surrender them to the same rescue agency if I ever have to give them up and cannot re-home them.

This sounds preachy - I am not meaning to say you should not get One, just thinking out loud about rescue groups and the virtues of German shepherds. :love: :love:

36. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

We got our dog from a rescue group. She's amazing.

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

We had a shelter dog. She was a GREAT dog. A worker from shelter found her along the road. We originally went to look at labs, but ended up with our golden mix.

It's hard going there told hubby I wanted to bring them all home.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2013

I LOVE dogs...I can talk about this subject all day! :D

Yes, GSs are a beautiful breed. My parents had 3...not all at once though. It's my mom's favorite breed.

Right, there are purebreed rescue organizations out there for those who want specific breeds. I personally still like raising a dog from the puppy stage.

Right! Every once in a while, we hear on the news about purebreeds getting stolen. Some mos ago, I heard about a couple whose Frenchies & Bulldog pups were stolen. They never said if they were recovered.

I kept my Boston Terrier strictly indoors, plus, certain breeds such as him & other brachycephalic breeds can't take extreme temps anyway...

My BT snored all the time...I thought it was the cutest thing! It never bothered me.

39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

My sweet puggy snores and snorts. It is the best sound :)
    I got to meet his doggy mommy and daddy when I got him from the breeder. It was so cool. I could see they were loved and well taken care of. I wish I could get another one from the same breeder but I lost her contact info :(

40. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

This was my experience as well. I got mine at 3 months old and I started frequenting the forums about this breed after I had adopted her I realized it wasn't just my pup! I taught mine to dip her head on command in a span of 5 minutes-she figured out what I wanted to her to do to get that treat so quickly. It's totally worth the investment of time and $ into training and if you can survive time period they become very loyal, fun dogs to have.

41. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 6, 2013

He's snoring again. I love listening to him, especially when he is sleeping on his back. I had a 23 year old Siamese kitty who could snore loud enough to wake me up, but I loved that too.

My mom has a Pekinese and he snorts all the time. It's cute. Poor no nose baby. He is a totally inside puppy. He has piddle pads. My big boy would need a piddle quilt.