Does your town ban plastic bags?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 5, 2012.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I have a couple dozen reusable bags including two insulated ones for shopping now. I am trying to form the habit of bringing these bags into the store; and then returning them to my van after unloading the stuff in my house.

Does your town ban plastic bags? How do you remember to bring your bags in the shop?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

The city where my parents live bans plastic bags. Plastic bags are still allowed in my city.

I have a hard time remembering to bring my bags into the store. I have to put them on the front seat of the car so that I'll see them.

One thing to remember is that it's important to wash your reusable bags frequently. They can spread germs and make you sick. That bag that is holding your apples and oranges this week might have carried your ground turkey last week. You don't want to cross-contaminate and risk your family's health.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

Ew, I know. I'm careful to always put meat in a separate plastic bag (that is supplied by the stores, strangely) because meat is such a good germ conductor. LOL I just made that phrase up!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I had a few blah ones and I found I didn't use them regularly. So I bought some cute ones and I actually use them. :)

And no, they're not banned here.

6. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 5, 2012

Plastic bags are allowed, but I have several reusable bags that I try to remember to bring with me into the store. I'd say I remember probably about 75% of the time to bring them with me. I keep them in the trunk of my car, so a lot of times they're out of sight and out of mind.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2012

I'm going to miss store plastic bags: I haven't bought a kitchen trash bag for kitchen trash in at least two decades.

The bags that aren't intact enough for kitchen trash get stuffed into the reusable bags ready to deposit for recycling in the bin at Trader Joe's or Sprouts - and it's often that bulging bag that reminds me to grab the reusables on the way out the door.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I was just talking about that same thing with my mom. I don't use grocery bags for kitchen garbage, but I do use them for bathroom garbage and litterbox cleaning. Not sure what I'll do now....I'll probably just buy more plastic bags. Doesn't really solve anything in the long run.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

My husband never uses totes...so we always have plastic bags. We also use them all over the house. Haven't used a real garbage bag in years.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

I changed to flushable cat litter. Where was I supposed to put those cat doodles without a safeway bag??

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

They are not banned here.

I have about 8-10 reuseable bags. However, I never remember to take them with me, so they do no good.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

I have several reusable bags. I never remember to bring them into the store,
    I use plastic bags for kitty litter box cleaning and the bathroom garbage.
    It's funny how often someone at our house will ask, "Do you have a Wal Mart bag to put this stuff in?!"
    They are not banned around here!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

They aren't banned here, but most stores charge 5 cents for them. I usually remember to take in my reusable bags, but have to remember to take a few out to the keep in the van (my husband always brings them in--he doesn't like anything to be "kept" in the vehicles). I also use grocery bags for the kitchen trash.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2012

Plastic bags aren't banned in my area... actually, I'd say we're a bit slow to pick up on using reusable bags. Often time, at the grocery store, I'm the only one I see with them in my cart.

I actually had a cashier refuse to use my bags once because they were from a competing grocery store.

And I still use the little plastic veggie bags from the grocery store for the litter box... though it'd probably be more green if I started using the biodegradable doggie poop bags.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Not banned. My store will refund 2 cents for every reusable bag shoppers use.:D

16. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 6, 2012

Not banned here. I was having a hard time remembering to use my reusable bags too, but I just recently made a really conscious effort to do so and have been much better about it. I keep the bags in my car too. And, our store gives 5 cents for each reusable bag we bring in!

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

Beginning to be banned here in the south SF Bay Area.

I think it's a great idea... I just wish I would remember to bring in the bags from my car. Often, I have to head back to the car halfway in the store... or I just bite the bullet and buy another reusable bag in there for a buck. (I believe Target charges 10 cents for a paper bag).

I am getting better at remembering, but it's hard teaching an old dog new tricks. I'm comforted in knowing that our children will have this taught at an early age. :) (Hopefully, it's not "too little too late").

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2012

So far, no. But, I kept a couple reusable bags in my car if & when that day comes. In the meantime, I keep lots of plastic store bags for various uses.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

Not banned here and like the others... I use ours for the smaller garbage cans. When we do have a bunch we either donate them to a local food charity (you know the ones who give food to others) or just bring them to the store they have a big big to put them in...

We have the other bags we never bring them... However I use them for the library and for swimming bags..LOL!!!

20. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I had a bag boy turn a competitor's bag inside out for that reason. It made me cringe. Did he not realize where the outside of that bag could have been sitting before he did that?

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2012

I was wondering about that. Although the bags we have are from conferences hubby has attended!!! LOL!!!
    Although our "regular" store, the cashier bags...I don't think they would take the time to turn them the other way!!!

22. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 6, 2012

The Walmart checkout lady was telling me that next year ALL their stores will be charging 10 cents per plastic bag that you use.
    I bought my mom this bag for Mother's Day. It fits in her purse and can expand to quite the size! I remember to bring mine in when I do a big grocery shop but I always forget when it's for one or two things! I need to get myself one of those lil bags!

Side note on the Zimbags: This is a company my cousin got very involved with (she's in the "women" section) when she came back from living and working in Zimbabwe. She was astounded by the way women were treated and this company is dedicated to helping them and others in need. Reading the "about" and the "mission" are quite inspiring!!!

23. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 6, 2012

They're banned, with exceptions for things like produce and meat. You can buy paper bags for 10 cents. I have a few reusable bags and I just take them out to my car whenever I go out. I usually have one with me. You get used to it. They come in handy anyway.

I've NEVER had an issue using a different store's bags. Most of mine are from Trader Joe's, but I shop at a variety of places.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2012

Love those bags, Learner4Life! I just ordered a couple for my mom and my sister.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 6, 2012

Nope, not banned here.

Normally I use my reusable bags because they sit up nicely in the back of my truck. Nothing is as aggravating as chasing spilled groceries around the back of a full-size pickup truck bed.

I normally shop every 4-6 weeks, so I don't usually have enough reusable bags. I save the plastic ones, too. I keep a stash as school. The kids use them a lot. I donate the rest to the local food bank. They use a ton of them.

26. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 6, 2012

Not banned here, but stores give 5 cents per reusable bag used to encourage use.

I don't always take them, but it just took enough reminding myself so that it became a habit.