Does your state require testing in 1st grade?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Erin Elizabeth, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

In California, we start giving state tests at 2nd grade. Some districts have their own tests that they require for k and 1st, but the state does not require them. I'm glad, personally I think 6-7 years old is way too young for that kind of pressure.

3. ebarnwell

ebarnwell Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

Georgia gives the CRCT t

4. ebarnwell

ebarnwell Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

Georgia gives the CRCT test to grades 1-8.

5. ebarnwell

ebarnwell Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

I don't think it would be so bad if the teachers knew what would be on it so that way we can ensure that the students have learned all the skills and concepts being tested. Last year the test had so many compound sentences questions and compound sentences is not taught in 1st grade because that's not one of our standards. Needless to say none of the first grade teachers had taught that concept but this year we all made sure that we covered it. Hopefully this year they throw in another new concept that we haven't covered. Testing can be so stressful for the students and the teachers.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 9, 2009

In PA the reading and math starts in 3rd and continues every year through 8th, then again in 11th. There is also science in 4th, 8th (I think), and 11th.

I think first is way too young and I'm glad we wait until 3rd.

7. ebarnwell

ebarnwell Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

I meant to say hopefully they don't throw in another concept that we haven't covered.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

Good heavens: the test covers material that isn't on the state standards? That's stupid, and I devoutly hope you Georgians have all set up a howl about that.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2009

We have some wacky district ones that don't follow the pacing the district has given us. We have no state mandated tests until 3rd grade. We also give the CoGAT and use it as a baseline for the first stage of GT identification.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2009

Our state testing begins in 3rd grade; however, our P requires that K-2 come up with some sort of testing.

11. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Apr 10, 2009

I'm in So Cal and our district gives kinder and first a test called the Terra Nova. It is crazy! It doesn't even follow the state standards. The first grade test has questions on rounding, fractions, and even space, which are more like second grade standards. They are way to young for the test and it is a difficult.

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2009

Connecticut does not begin "testing" the kids until 3rd grade. However, our school begins giving the DRP in second. First grade is left alone thank goodness!

13. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Apr 12, 2009

We don't take a standardized test like the upper grades, but we do give a common math assessment that all 1st Graders in NC take. My beef with it is that you can teach a concept til you turn blue. However, if that concept is presented on the test in a way unfamililar to 1st graders, they won't get it. EVEN if they understand the concept taught. In the last few years we have finally gotten some study guides and sample questions to make sure the kids are prepared, and that has helped SO much. They keep flipflopping some of the skills, whether it's going to be on 2nd or 3rd quarter test. Drives us teachers nuts!!!

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 12, 2009

Even NCLB does not require testing before third grade, but California does. 2nd grade starts the STAR tests. Fortunately, some of my parents know they can just write a note excusing their child from the test. Now not too many can do that before real trouble erupts, but a few can.

15. jeb23

jeb23 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

Maryland starts testing in 3rd. Our county gives 4 assessments a year for 1st and 2nd though based on the county curriculum.
    -jeb23