Does your state have a law like this?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

I received a letter in the mail about my school's 4 day new teacher orientation. They noted in the letter that they used to serve a small breakfast on the first morning (I assume bagels and coffee) and a small lunch on the last day (I assume sandwiches), but that they can no longer offer this due to new accountability laws so we should bring our own lunches. I suppose I get the idea behind this, but it seems a bit silly that this would be forbidden by law. Gotta love Christie.

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

I know my last school mentioned the same thing about not being able to bring food but I didn't know it was a law. Geez.

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

I actually just received a letter from my district yesterday telling me about the new teacher orientation next week. We don't have a law like this. They specifically said that we would receive breakfast on Monday only and lunch everyday. Monday and Wednesday are supposed to be boxed lunches (sandwich, chips, cookie, drink) and Tuesday and Thursday is some sort of pasta, salad, bread, drink.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 3, 2012

I'd personally rather they didn't spend money on meals. I used to hate it when my university did it every time they had an event. Poll any university student or in public school any tax payer and I imagine 70% at least would say to get rid of it.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

Math...that policy has actually been in place a few years already.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 3, 2012

I don't know what university you went to, but all of the college students I knew loved a free meal (even if it wasn't REALLY free) :rolleyes:

I'm sure it was, but I wasn't aware of it.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

What is it about workshops though that makes ya so darn hungry! I'm saving calories with the 'no snack provided' rule...now I bring a banana and my own coffee.:rolleyes:

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

Both districts I've been with feed teachers WELL! :)

10. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 3, 2012

That's odd. I work at a small school and the PD committee provides breakfast each day. We each bring in something for lunch the first day. Only 2 days of PD this year.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

My state has no such law that I know of.

Principals in my district usually get a certain amount of money from the district specifically for things like staff meals during staff development. Sometimes my principal also asks local businesses to sponsor our PD meals and snacks. Many times we get a nice breakfast or lunch in exchange for a 5-minute spiel by an investment group or a company that provides insurance for teachers. Not a bad trade-off if you ask me, especially since I happen to use both those companies and like hearing about their new stuff anyway. :)

12. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 3, 2012

My school will privide breakfast twice and lunch on each of our new employee orientation days which will be 5. I will bring my own lunch anyway since I do not eat a lot of common foods and when Dominos delivers I doubt there will be a gluten free, dairy free choice for me! LOL

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

We get to LEAVE for lunch on PD days.
    We've been doing this for a couple of years.
    It is SOOOO funny how much this means to all of us.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

We get to leave for lunch on most (but not all) PD days, too. It's funny, because we all seem to end up at Buffalo Wild Wings down the street. Sometimes I think we should just go ahead and have our meetings there, since we're all there anyway. :)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

We do have that option sometimes as well.

I remember the first time we went out and it was time to head back, but the teachers I was with blew it off. We ended up being twenty or thirty minutes late returning (and we were given an hour!) and I was so, so nervous being the new teacher walking back into the meeting mid-presentation. Of course I rode with them, otherwise I would have returned earlier. Funny now (just because I know those teachers and the school climate so well)...not then! :)

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

We'll have a back to school breakfast on teachers first day back, but it's provided by PTO families, not the school budget.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2012

Our PTA feeds us for workshop days. If they don't, the. We are allowed to leave to get food.

18. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 3, 2012

We are usually provided with "coffee and" on professional development days. I have never heard of a law forbidding this, though!

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2012

We have been fed a nice breakfast and lunch each day of our orientation. However, this has been provided by various organizations and not the school district. One day it was our health insurance company, one day it was the union, etc. My last school district fed us as well.

20. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 3, 2012

Not a law in Texas... my district and campus feed us all the time.

21. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 4, 2012

Not that I know of. I was fed every day of my new teacher orientation. We were told that it's a "tradition" to eat at a local restaurant in town, so they catered ALL of our events! I'm not complaining though, their food is tasty! Can't wait to go back this year and chow down :)

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

Providing food at PDs is expected here. Not necessarily breakfast, but lunch. We've had a couple of all staff afterschool meetings that are district wide. There's always food there.

There's money in the budget for it.

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Colleges don't exactly produce the best and brightest anymore. You only need to luck at the students who take on 10's of thousands of dollars in debt to graduate in 6 years with no idea how they're going to pay it back. I'd rather pay for my meal the day I ate it than still be paying for even a small fraction of it 15 years later. Like you said, nothing in life is free. Someone is always paying for it.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

I have 1 day of new-to-the district orientation and we won't be paid or fed. I'm ok with not being fed (I'd prefer the short break on my own anyway,) but I do wish we got paid. Oh well.

25. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

We are given breakfast the first day we are ALL back to school and then we go for our first faculty mtg. It is a nice way to catch up with everyone. As far as PD prior to school opening, it depends on who is running it. We've never had lunch provided, but usually have water, candy, snacks, bagels and such available. We can go out to lunch on our PD and an hour is assumed but not in writing. The same goes for the 5 days we are in school prior to the kids returning.

26. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

This began about two years ago, if I am remembering correctly. It's a NJ thing.

27. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 10, 2012

Whatever happened to "No stomach left behind"