Does your school value recess?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, May 4, 2010.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 4, 2010

I've always been a fan of recess but my principal recently cut it down to just 15 minutes a day. It feels like by the time we all get out there, we're lining up again to go back inside. Is it like this at most other schools? I'm wondering if recess is going to fade away altogether pretty soon.

3. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

May 4, 2010

We have 15 minutes too. We have to include our walk back from lunch in that 15 minutes. We play kickball during our recess. It really tuckers them out.

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 4, 2010

They have 30 minutes here - except the one building doesn't have recess at all. They consider specials like "art" and "music" to be their recess time - and they don't always have a special every day either.

When I was in school our recess was 20 minutes

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 4, 2010

We're a private school, so it's very different. But the kinders go out for recess at 11:30 and eat out there-they come back in at 1. They go back out again at 2:30 and leave from there at 4. So that's... 3 hours of recess a day? The upper elementary gets an hour and a half for lunch as well, but they only get an hour in the afternoon twice a week.

Lots of recess at my school!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 4, 2010

We have a 20 minute recess from 9:15-9:35.

Then, we have a 50 minute lunch from 11:05-11:55. The students normally take about 10 minutes to eat, then they head out to the playground for recess.

In my humble opinion, recess plays an important role in the social development, learning, and HEALTH of elementary school children!

7. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 4, 2010

Yes, I really miss the longer recess. I'm also convinced it makes for a happier teacher! I like to be outside in the fresh air too.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 4, 2010

I couldn't have said it better! :thumb:

9. meltua

meltua Rookie

May 4, 2010

We have always gotten 20 minutes, but I have heard it may be cut back to 10 or possibly none at all. I really think our kids (grades K-3) need that time every day.

10. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 4, 2010

We have a 15 minute break everyday for 10:15-10:30. PreK-2nd grade can go outside but the older kids don't go outside. However, I see everyone everyday for PE. PreK and kinder classes get 30 minutes daily of PE while everyone else get's 45 minutes daily. So they may not get much recess at my school but they get plenty of PE time.

11. texteacher

texteacher Companion

May 4, 2010

I should mention that my kids hardly ever get PE so the lack of recess is a real drag.

12. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 4, 2010

Our kids have a supervised recess before school during drop off. Depending on when they get off the bus, out from breakfast, etc....they may have up to 20 minutes. We have a 20 minute recess before lunch. We also have a 20-25 minutes recess in the afternoon. (We used to have two 15 minute afternoon recesses, but we decided to make one longer recess in the afternoon rather than two smaller ones.) Our P is very supportive of recess. She actually covers our lunch recess duty every day!

We are also encouraged to take wiggle breaks, stretch, BrainDance, etc. OFTEN throughout the day. They are kids for crying out loud!

RECESS IS VITAL FOR THE HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT OF KIDS!

13. bros

bros Phenom

May 4, 2010

20 minutes of recess K-6th grade, 20 minutes of lunch. Middle school and HS, no recess, 20 minutes of lunch.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 5, 2010

All of our students (JK-Grade 8) get 30 minutes of recess in the middle of the morning. Lunch is an hour--20 minutes to eat and then 40 minutes recess. This is not a site-based decision; start/end and recess times are school-board mandated (we choose from a variety of approved models).

15. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 5, 2010

Our recess is a class that we work on social building skills like team work and talking nicely to each other (we call them Midot from the biblical term). 45 minutes...love it! We also do Play of the Day where the kid who showed the most caring and consideration for their peers gets to carry the ball inside and get pencils for everyone...a little thing that makes a big deal!!

16. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 5, 2010

All the elementary schools is my district provide recess. It is 25-30 minutes depending on grade. The junior high and high school do not have recess, but the students get 30 minutes for lunch. However, at the high school, the students do have "mid-morning" a 15 minute break in between 3 and 4th periods.

17. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 7, 2010

My 3rd-5th graders get 20 minutes in the morning, then 20 minutes after lunch. Students are NOT allowed to sit, chat with friends while sitting/laying, or do anything else that is considered "lazy". If they don't want to play on/with the equipment, they have to walk in a circle around the playground. While I appreciate that the principal is trying to do something about obesity, I don't think this is the right way to go about it. I read somewhere that children need 20 minutes of free time before creativity starts.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2010

Everybody needs a certain amount of down time! If it's illegal to force adults to work eight hours without two rest breaks and a lunch break, I fail to see where it makes sense to oblige kids to work straight through from first bell to last.

If I wanted to design a system to sour students on school and teachers on testing, eliminating recess for the sake of more academics would be a high priority.

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 7, 2010

Lunch is 40 minutes, I think- 20 to eat and 20 for recess. This applies to all kids K-6. (except the kids who have earned themselves a lunch discipline...) K-3 also gets a 15-minute recess either in the morning or afternoon, opposite their special (so if they have morning specials, they have afternoon recess). My principal has said we can ALWAYS feel free to take our kids outside, especially now that it's becoming nicer outside, just grab a walkie-talkie from the office so they can reach us if needed.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 7, 2010

That's a very good comparison-I never thought of it like that.

We have 20 minutes at lunch and 15 minutes in the afternoon. The nice thing about kindergarten is that we have free choice play time in the room, as well. So, my kids get 25 minutes to play right away in the morning, and another 35 minutes right before lunch. So, they have 95 minutes of free play time each day.

21. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 7, 2010

Yes! My district highly values recess. We have three recesses- morning (15 minutes), after lunch (about 20 minutes) and afternoon (15 minutes). Two days a week, morning recess is skipped. I definitely notice the difference when we have indoor recess!

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 7, 2010

Yes! We restructured our day so that we have longer recesses, hoping to actually get the kids moving! We have a 25 minute recess in the morning, and then a 1 hour lunch break - 20 minutes to eat, 40 minutes outside.

23. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 9, 2010

I work at a charter school and we do not have recess, which I believe may be contributing to the behavior. I teach 2nd grade,P wants them to sit for our 2hour reading block, 1 1/2 hour block of Math, 1 hour of Science, sit for speicals and sit an 1 1/2 for Social Studies not just sit but be QUIET!!! Are you kidding me they need time to unwind and be kids, did I mention this is an extended day and school year.

24. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 9, 2010

I teach 2nd grade and at my school we are only allowed to go to recess 3 times a week for 20 minutes. So all they get is an hour a week. They also get 3 days of 45 minute P.E.

25. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 9, 2010

We have a 15 minute morning recess each day and 20 minutes after lunch. We are also free to take our kids out whenever we feel the need. Sometimes during one of our long Wednesday afternoons we go out and I have the class run a couple of laps around the yard.

Getting up and moving is important. My daddy would always say, "Your brain can only absorb as much as your butt can endure."

26. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 9, 2010

We have about 20 minutes after lunch, and then another 15 in the afternoon. The 4th grade teacher and I sometimes keep them out a little longer in the afternoon if needed.

27. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 9, 2010

My school gets 15 minutes in the morning and 30 after lunch.
    They get 40 minutes of PE a week.

28. Miss Walda

Miss Walda Rookie

May 10, 2010

I can't believe how little time your kids get for play.

In Australia we have about 20 minutes for morning tea and about 50 minutes for lunch, that includes 10 minutes of eating time in each break and the rest is free play outside.

In addition to this, we are mandated to provide 2 hours of physical education lessons per week.

At most schools the whole school is out at the same time and teachers have one playground duty per day.

29. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 11, 2010

This is exactly how I feel. I hate having to take away recess from a class I'm subbing for. I tell the kids that I enjoy recess as much as they do if not more so!

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2010

We get 30 minutes of recess a day and 30 minutes of P.E. and 30 minutes of music.

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2010

We have 20 minutes built into our school day for recess (grade k-5). Teachers are encouraged to add another 15 to 20 minute recess daily (at least in the lower grades).