Does Your School Use Kelly Services Substitutes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherman1, Mar 22, 2014.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

I was floored when I heard that Connecticut schools are obtaining their substitute teachers through Kelly Services. Take a look at the educational requirements and how much they pay.:eek:
    http://customer.kellyservices.us/ep...val/document_center/kes_hiring_info_07_09.pdf

At least in Providence the subs are drawn from an approved pool of accredited teachers and paid a decent wage.

They are also expected to familiar with the district's curriculum so that they can walk into a classroom and actually teach rather than simply babysit.

Is this happening all over the country?

Teacherman

3. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

That pay rate is ridiculously low

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

It would be a cold day in hell before I agreed to work for $75.95 a day as a substitute.

5. bora

bora Rookie

Mar 22, 2014

Unfortunately, yes, I work for $75 -$80 a day. I am going for teaching certificate this June.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

Our subs must be certified teachers.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2014

No we don't use Kelly. My district pays more than that.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Ah, but that's only if you have a MASTERS degree!:eek:hmy:

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 22, 2014

The $56 was close to the going rate in my system in Alabama before we started using Kelly this year. We didn't have a step in rate based on degree. If you had a masters and was still having to sub, you got the basic going rate as the person without a degree.

10. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Mar 22, 2014

$76/6 hours. Roughly $12/hr for someone with a Masters degree education. I am angry even thinking about someone working for that kind of pay.

11. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 22, 2014

Out subs are county employed. All are required to have at least a high school degree or GED. If you have a bachelors you get paid more. I do not know how much they get paid though.

12. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 22, 2014

Our school pays $70 a day for a teacher's sub. They try to get certified teachers but if you have 80 credits from a four year university you can sub. Interesting that the subs for our parapros make more than the teacher subs as they get paid by the hour!

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Yes, we use Kelly, and the pay is low.

14. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 22, 2014

Now at least Bora is intending to get her teacher's certificate, so she's probably making an effort to do a good job, but I understand that most of the subs in this area tend to be retirees from fields such as engineering and business :eek: with absolutely no experience in teaching at all. Essentially they are being hired to babysit for the day.

As you might imagine, the kids simply chew them up and spit them out, because they haven't a clue how to work with children.

It simply blows my mind that anything like that still goes on today. When I subbed in the mid 90's I was expected to teach and to have the class under control (and I made $60.00 a day even back then).

If I were a parent and my child came home and told me that she watched movies all day because she had a sub, I'd be quite PI _ _ _ _ OFF!:mad:

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Some subs are awesome, handle behaviors well and deliver instruction as planned regardless of whether or not they have college degrees...sometimes life experience or just natural ability and 'kid sense' make the difference.
    A few subs are simply 'warm bodies'...especially on days when there are teachers out at workshops and personal days and unexpectedly a flu bug happened to hit leaving a school short on the regular, most requested subs. It happens. In such situations, it's really nice if a sick teacher's team can pull together enough materials to keep kids engaged and check in on an 'unproven' sub.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

My district now requires that subs be a licensed teacher, but when they started that a few years back they grandfathered in any current subs (who had to have at least a bachelor's degree).

There are so many teachers in my area looking for work that we have no trouble finding motivated subs who generally do a good job.

17. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 23, 2014

Again, because we have a fairly strong union, the subs in Providence are treated pretty well. They enjoy most of the protections of the veteran teachers and better pay.

This is from the Providence Teacher's contract:

Hiring of Teachers
    The Board agrees that it shall employ only those applicants who have earned a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and have met certification requirements for at least a Provisional Certificate to the extent available and possible. The School Department shall furnish to the Union the names of all personnel holding an emergency
    certificate and this listing shall remain current.

The Board shall employ long term substitutes in pool in such numbers as are needed based upon the average number of absences requiring substitute coverage during the previous academic year.

The Board shall provide long-term substitutes in pool with the following provisions of the Collective Bargaining
    Agreement:

A Long-Term Substitute Teacher in Pool (LTSP) shall be compensated as follows:
    Step 1 (1st year in Providence):
    $150 per day
    Step 2:
    $200 per day
    The Board shall employ long-term substitute teachers in such numbers as are needed based upon the number of positions which require a substitute teacher for a semester.

I'm curious how our anti-union A2Z members feel about this. Maybe they think that the union should stay out of this and allow the market to determine sub pay - which is still around $70.00/day in most surrounding districts.

18. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

Ugh, Kelly are cheapskates. One of my neighbors works for an teacher staffing agency. She makes $90-95 a day depending what district she's at.

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

I know Kelly pays $80/day around here to the districts that use them. The School District of Philadelphia was paying $110/day to those that registered as subs with their district....I don't know what the rate is now.

:eek:hmy:

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

I am obviously in the minority, but I don't really have a problem with schools contracting out sub services. I also don't really have a problem with these rates of pay, which are, incidentally, around $10/hour or more. In my district you don't have to be a licensed teacher in order to be a sub. You just have to pass a background check and have a few college credits. A $10+/hour job for very limited qualifications seems like a decent enough deal to me and a great way for the district to save some money.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

Crap pay and crap qualifications leads to crap subs. It's stuff like this that makes any day where I'm out more or less a lost day for my kiddos.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Well, we already have a lot of crap subs, and they get paid a lot more than what is listed here. At least that money could be spent on things that make my teaching job easier. *shrugs*