Does your school use a parent/teacher conference web scheduler?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by srfjeld, Oct 28, 2010.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Oct 28, 2010

I teach at a school that has recently grown to K-8. In the past we, the teachers, have been responsible for scheduling p/t conferences. Each teacher sends home a note to parents asking them to each list their top 3 choices of times. We bend over backward to get sibs conferences scheduled back to back. Last year this was a huge pain b/c not all teachers were able to get their scheduling done right away and had to work around others' schedules and some teachers were not willing to work with you if you needed them to. I did some research and found there are sites online in which you can, supposedly, enter in your school's conferencing info and then send the link to parents to schedule their own conferences. My principal has asked me to look into this and if it all seems legit he will sign off on it.

Does anyone have experience with these sites? Is there one you prefer? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you in advance!

Stephanie

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2010

http://www.genbook.com/

Free for a 1 year subscription for 1 user. Works pretty well, interface isn't real pretty.

The only problem is what to do about parents who don't have computers or email access.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2010

I used to do that. Then I found out that many parents DID NOT want the conferences back to back because they would take a late lunch at work, come in for one conference one day and then do the same thing the next day.

That's why the online scheduler works so much better.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2010

My teachers, when my brother and I had the same teacher, would just discuss both of us in the 20 minute time period allotted. Most of it would be talking about me and how my accommodations were working/weren't working, though

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

Our wonderful administrative assistant schedules the conferences for the whole school! Parents indicate their preferred time frame (Thursday between 2:45 and 5:00 ,Thursday between 6:00 and 8:30, or Friday morning between 8:00 and 11:30). She takes it from there.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2010

This is the second year we've had an online scheduler for our parent/teacher conferences. As a parent in the district, I LOVE it. I can go on, put in my kids' id numbers, and put in the exact times I'm available. The program does the rest and even emails me my conference times.

As a teacher, I see more of my parents. There was a problem last year because the admin made some mistakes with blocking out our breaks (we confer for two days when the kids are out), and I had to put out some fires. Hopefully, they'll get things right this year.

8. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Oct 29, 2010

Thank you... Mrs. R, which scheduler does your school use?

9. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 29, 2010

Our wonderful school secretary does this awful job herself and does it wonderfully. We have nearly 100% attendance at conferences. I think if we left it up to parents to schedule their own times, some might never come.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

We have sign-up sheets at Open House (the day before school starts). Parents sign up for a November and February conference. The office calls any parents who didn't attend Open House (usually only 1 or 2 per classroom). The office sends out reminders a few weeks before conferences.

The office used to schedule everything, but now the parents do almost all the work. Nice and easy!

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2010

I don't know the name of it, and I can't access it right now because I don't sign up for conferences again until the spring.