Does your school sponsor Europe trips over Spring Break?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mr_post22, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 26, 2014

So, the teacher who is the sponsor for my school's EF Tours spring break program is leaving. I have no intentions of taking over it. But, I was wondering what does that entail to be the sponsor? Like she collects the money and the company does the rest I guess. The school has absolutely no say in it I think. Does your school do something similar?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 26, 2014

A club at my school is going to London for more than a week, but it's not during break. They raised money and hired a company to plan the trip for them. It's basically an extended tour. As I understand it, the chaperones just coordinated fundraisers and dealt with the company, and the rest is done for them.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2014

I have led an EF tour in the past and went on another that a colleague organized this past summer. It's actually pretty easy--you promote the trip and get kids to sign up, but you don't have anything to do with the money; that's between the participants and the company. When you're overseas with your students, of course, you are responsible for them. For every 6 paid participants, you get one free. I went to London for a week with a small group and my cost was minimal; I just paid for a single room upgrade and my spending money, probably about $400 for the whole trip! These trips are not sponsored by our school, but we're able to use the facility for evening informational meetings.

5. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Mar 26, 2014

Assuming that teacher goes on the trip with them, they have the huge responsibility of traveling with a bunch of kids, watching over them in a foreign country, etc. There's many things that could go wrong.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 26, 2014

Someone in the foreign language department is doing it for the first time this year. I'm interested to see how many students follow through because my school is very low SES and the trip is nearly $3000.

It's an idea I've kicked around for historical trips, but I'll prob start small with a trip to DC next year. The vast majority of my students have never been despite being only 3 hours away.

7. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Mar 26, 2014

Great question! I am interested in taking a group in the future. I would love to hear more about what companies teachers have used. It seems like the majority used EF. Is that a good company? Would you use it again? And also any experiences you can share for those of you who have taken students on a trip. Thanks.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2014

I don't know much about the supervision end, but I do know that in high school I went on a trip to Mexico and it was the best part of my high school experience. We had a ton of fun, yes, but we learned a lot. As a participant, I LOVED it.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2014

EF is a very good company to work with. While you are abroad, you have your EF Guide with you 24/7; the ones I've been with have been extremely knowledgeable. In addition, you have local tour guides at various points who are experts. If you only have a small group, you're consolidated with other small groups to make up a full bus. I'd advise starting small, but it's nice to have a second adult with you--on mine, a parent came along with her son.

When I took my little group, the only problem I had was with one girl who wasn't one of my own students, but a friend of one. She was pretty spoiled and decided to ditch our group after the theatre the last night in London. We were frantic, but she turned up close to midnight claiming she'd gotten lost. I'm sure she was hanging out with some boys she'd met earlier in the day. A chaperon from one of the other groups read her the riot act, so I didn't have to! :dizzy:

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 27, 2014

After seeing how some former students acted on a religious trip to Rome, I'll be sticking to only chaperoning single day events!

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2014

Our middle school had a couple of teachers that plan a trip with the kids every year. One year they go to New York, while other years I think they go to Washington DC. It has nothing to do with school, except the teachers are sponsors. They fund raise out of school. This summer the high school band is going to Hawaii. It will be after school lets out as well. I think its a little much so my son isn't going. I just think the reason they are going is because the director wants to go. There won't be anything about music on the trip, just fun in the sun. The trip a few years ago was to California and that was much more suited to band. The visited the Disney Concert Hall and watched a performance there. Of course they went to Disneyland and the beach but it wasn't all about fun in the sum. There was some learning going on.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2014

We have a group that goes every year with our middle school kids. They've never had a problem.

Yet, there's no way I'd ever go. I just cannot put myself in that position. I'd be stressed out of my mind watching over the kids and if anything ever did go wrong I'd never forgive myself. More power to those who can do it but I'm not one of them.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

The summer between my 7th and 8th grade year, a group of us went with two teachers to Washington DC. We had so much fun, saw and learned a lot, and no problems arose. A friend in another district takes groups to different places in Europe every 2 years or so. This is separate from school, but students do end up going on these trips. I would have no problem taking a group myself.