Does your school retain sped students???

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AZSpedtchr, Mar 29, 2011.

?

Does your school retain special education resource students?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2011.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Sometimes

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

I am completely against retaining special ed students in 99% of cases, however, certain teachers at my school feel strongly that sped resource students who fall far below standards should be retained. I'm just wondering: does your school retain sped students as a practice?

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

In my state we don't retain students at all!

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

I worked hard to get one of my ED students retained last year before I sent him back to his original school. (Because of his initial behaviors he was behind academically, going on to the next grade would have retriggered him. Another year to master skills, and we felt he'd do much better in the long run.)

But....I think ED is a "different kettle of fish" so to speak. Resource students, by and large should not be retained unless it would be beneficial to them.

5. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

I'm a High School Student.. but why wouldn't you retain a student? If they didn't get it the first time.. why would you force them to progress to something even harder? Like Math for example basically is stepping stones.. you use what you learned last year you need to know it.. if they didn't know addition then they shouldn't be taking Algebra... just saying..

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

Hi Math,

Good question.

Are you familiar with what an IEP is? Let me know, and I'll try to explain things. :)

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 29, 2011

Retention is a very interesting subject, even beyond the walls of special education. On one hand, there is the point Math brought up - if they don't understand it, move forward. On the other hand, if it didn't work the first time, why try the same thing twice! With kids with IEPs, it's even more complicated.

Typically in my experiences it would be very, very rare to retain a child in special education because retention.

8. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

No I'm not familiar with what an IEP is.

9. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

Okay! :) Now, because I am just giving the basics here I won't go into how a student gets an IEP. And everyone else, feel free to jump in. :D I'll forget something, I'm sure.

Students who recieve Special Education Services have a document called an IEP. This is an Individualized Education Program. This is basically a plan that the IEP team comes up with to help a student be successful in school. The people on the IEP team are the student's parents, the general education teacher, the special education teacher, a district rep, and any other service providers (Speech, OT, etc.)

The IEP has academic goals for these students to achieve. It could also have behavior goals. (These are primarily what I deal with, with my students.)

When it comes down to it, there are students whom another year will not help. Holding them back for another year, repeating all the information, will not be beneficial for them.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2011

It is against our district policy to retain any student on an IEP- even if it is only for speech. I have one case where this is really hindering us. I have a 1st grader on an IEP who has missed almost 50 days of school this year. Normally, this amount of abscences would mean automatic retention. However, since we can't retain students' on IEP's, there is nothing we can do about it...and her mom knows it!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

I work in a high school....if a student refuses to do the work and the grades reflect that, then they can be retained. I have a senior who might find that out the hard way.

12. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Mar 29, 2011

Isn't this so frustrating?

My school doesn't like to retain but will if there is a good reason. I'm recommending retention for a few of my students this year, one at the request of the parents.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

You can retain as long as the absences aren't a result of the disability.

And if they are, a plan should be written into the IEP as to how the student will make up the work

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

I teach high school and our kids with IEPs are sometimes retained if they fail a class or two and don't have enough credits. Some of them, even if you meet all of their accommodations, will still not do enough work to pass. They could do the work, they just refuse to do the work.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

Not in my district...it is completely against our policy in any situation. We even tried to get special permission for this girl and it was denied.

16. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 30, 2011

Very rarely do any students get retained in our district. There is so much research on this topic-pros and cons. If a student on an IEP does not follow his/her goals, they should be retained, shouldn't they?

17. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

No, the goals should be modified. Should figure out why the goals were not completed.

18. Joelg1980

Joelg1980 Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I actually laughed when I saw the subject of this thread:lol: Pretty much no student gets retained, regardless of sped or not. In my district sped students not meeting progress have to have an IEP meeting immediately. Letting them so far as to be retained is simply unacceptable.:thumb:

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2011

In my district, every child who fails the 3rd grade standardized test is retained...no matter who they are or what disability they have. The only advantage our SPED children have is if they were retained before and I can document that they have had at least two years of intensive reading instruction prior to the test.
    This policy is going to catch two of my present 3rd graders this year and it caught two of them last year.

20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2011

research actually supports NOT retaining any child unless there's a lack of academic opportunity ( not at school enough). Most retainees do no better than if they went on.

21. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Mar 31, 2011

We cannot retain AND obtain a new IEP in one year. Other than that, things are decided on a student-by-student basis.

22. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Apr 2, 2011

Thanks everyone for your responses. Some really interesting points. Quite a controversial subject, which kind of surprises me!