Does your school pay for you to go to grad school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scienceteach82, Aug 19, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

My principal mentioned something about reimbursement for furthering my education back in March during my interview. How do I approach him about it? I just got into an online Masters program plus certification (all ok by board of ed). I am getting financial aid for now.

Did/do any of your principals/schools offer to pay for your education?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2008

Our school does not pay for continuing education, but a masters is required.

There are, however, ways to earn free classes. I earned three free classes last year by having a student teacher and an intern teacher last year. A few years ago I earned two free classes by signing up for a grant opportunity that provided two classes.

I paid for my masters myself.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 19, 2008

My school reimburses us so I have gone to HR and asked for the forms and the principal signs them.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 19, 2008

We have a set amount available to all staff for tuition reimbursement. It is first come, first serve ... when it's gone for the year, it's gone for the year.

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

We have x number of credit hours a year that we can be reimbursed for. I think it ends up being 2 courses during a one year time.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

Any advice on how to approach him? The beginning of the school year has been busy...

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

My advice is to schedule a time with him to meet and then start with "last year you mentioned the school paying tuition for classes. Could you explain the steps to pursue that if it is still available?"

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 19, 2008

Do you have a copy of your contract? It may be listed on there with the rest of your benefits. If not, I would just approach him and ask what steps you need to take.

Masters degrees are required in Mass within your first five years of teaching, so most districts don't have tuition reimbursement, but I work at a charter school and we get $850 a year for tuition. That ends up being about one class (or less than the full price of a class) depending on the school.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 19, 2008

We don't get paid for grad school. But luckily Boeing (the airplane company) is giving me a scholarship! Then I am keeping my fingers crossed that my school (new) is going to be designated as "low-income" to get my financial aid (loans) paid off.

We don't have to get masters, but we get about 3,000 a year more with one. People do it because then you can get a Masters plus 15 and plus 30 to increase your pay.

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 19, 2008

Our district pays when they have the funds they dont have the funds right now.....

12. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Reimbursement (up to the cost of a course through a local university) is explicated in our contract. Anyone can be reimbursed for a graduate (or under graduate) course. We have no limit (I checked before enrolling for three summer courses!).

As far as approaching administration, as Beth suggested, take a look at your contract. Inquire at Human Resources if you don't feel it is appropriate to ask your principal. Or, if you have a union, ask them.

Good luck, and enjoy your classes!

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

We should be so lucky! :toofunny:

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

Yes, it's a certain amount each year depending on how long you've been with the program. For me now, it's about $2,000 / year. The specifics are spelled out in the staff manual.

15. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 19, 2008

Ours doesn't pay for credits, we just move over lanes on the pay schedule.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2008

You can get up to $2000 per year. However, there is only a limited amount of funds, and there is a waiting list.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

In our district, we can get reimbursed a certain amount every year. I honestly can't remember because it's been so long since I've used the whole amount. I think it's about $2000. I have to fill out a form, pay for the class, and then I am reimbursed when the school receives my official transcript from the university.

18. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 19, 2008

We can get reimbursed up to a certain amount. It's given on a first come first serve basis. I just sent mine in for the fall...hope I get accepted!

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2008

Ours does not pay or reimburse for graduate credits.

We used to have a Gear Up grant which reimbursed for certain graduate credits, up to 9 per year. Our district lost the grant, though, so that money is gone.

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 19, 2008

Our school District reimburses us, but depending on what college you attend, your rate of reimbursement changes. Also, if you leave in less than one year after getting your advanced degree, you must reimburse the District. It is currently a sticking point in our new contract negotiations as the District wants to put a cap. on all monies put aside for this, so in a year you decide to go for a Masters, if 200 others decide to also go, you may get reimbursed $50.00 per course, so you will never know what your reimbursement will be until the end of the school year!

21. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

All my continuing professional development is paid for by the school. I am presently studying for a new masters in autistic spectrum disorders. One down side is I do not get a pay increase for having these qualifications.

22. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 20, 2008

Same. I am happy about that!

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

At the end of the year, the money left in the professional development account is divided among any teachers who fill out the paperwork for tuition reimbursement. So you might get $25 or $200, you just don't know until the end of the year.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 20, 2008

We can pay for credits or get credits once a year through professional development, but they wouldn't pay for grad school or anything.

I need to get a "professional" certificate either this year or next. I have to pay for it. Yuck!

25. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

my district reimberses 200 a credit, and only up to 1200 a year. I work in a district where nearly everyone has a masters or is working towards it, bc it is simply expected. I guess the admin figures they dont really have to reimburse us that much since we do get good pay. I found the cheapest program i could so that I could get it all done quickly, mostly paying out of my own pocket.

26. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

In my district they will pay for 80 percent of the tuition part of the cost of the classes.... up to 12 credits per school year. We need to put in a request the year preceeding, first getting permission for the school and major, and then asking them to budget the money for the classes. We also have to get the individual classes approved. Kind of alot of hassel and paperwork, but i'm not going to complain considering it saved me thousands of dollars.

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 20, 2008

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I wanted to ask today...but was too busy with classes...as usual ;)