Does your school keep parents responsible for damaged materials?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 8, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 8, 2015

I'm essentially the tech department at my school, and it's kind of a position I was thrust into. There was no tech infrastructure or anything in place before I began, so most of what I have is made from scratch from the network to the forms parents need to sign so their kids can use tech at the beginning of the year.

We have a form that states that parents/students are responsible for any damages/loss inflicted on the tech while in the use of the student.

But I don't really know how to enforce that. We only had one case of real damage this year, and I'm wondering how I should go about informing the parent of possible damage costs. (Maybe not in this case, but in the future, if something really damages a chromebook -- I used glue to piece this one back together). Physical damage isn't covered under warranty, so if one was broken to the point that it no longer worked, we would have to pay to replace it.

Anyway, if students break a piece of technology or even textbooks, etc. do you keep your parents responsible for the cost of repair or replacement or does your school just eat the cost?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 8, 2015

Yes...The follow through is much better on "large" items ($20 or more) than on smaller items from the office. Personally, I try to hold parents accountable for smaller items (loss of literature book=$7) since not sure office will always follow through with it. If technology is broken, office always gets on that right away.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 8, 2015

I teach high school. They do charge students/parents, but don't demand payment each year. What happens if a student damages something (or most commonly doesn't return something), it gets added to their student profile. Parents are notified, but they don't get rabid on them until senior year. Students aren't allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony if they owe the school money.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 8, 2015

We hold students' report cards if they owe money for any reason. This includes everything from lost or damaged books to damaged or broken tech items. The final report card is mailed so we just mail a bill in place of the report card. Parents can get the report card once the debt is paid. Students cannot register for the next school year without bringing in the previous school year's report card.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 9, 2015

I'm still not entirely sure how my school handles things. We're a charter with no district to help with finances, so I'd assume we are fairly strict on such things.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 9, 2015

I'm not sure, but I imagine that they do - in theory. It's drilled into us all the time, though, how poor many of our parents are so we can't really demand money for anything and expect to get it.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 9, 2015

We hold our kiddos' report cards if they owe money to the library. Generally, it's under $10, so they pay.

However, if a Chromebook or iPad break, we (the office) get the student a new one (we have a surplus in the tech room). The kids can't take home their devices, so if something fails, it's normally not their fault (for example, if a screen goes out or if a battery is faulty). Additionally, our teachers explicitly teach how to properly carry and handle devices. The kids take ownership of their device because it belongs to them for the entire school year.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 9, 2015

Nice. When I worked at a 1:1 school laptops went missing frequently. We had one student that "lost" four in one school year. And the school would simply replace them.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 9, 2015

We generally do. The one casualty happened in a special ed classroom. But in case we've taught handling and a student wasn't responsible with the Chromebook, I'd like to know what to do.